Virginia Beach Business

rusthebuss

Likewise, you can't always blame everyone else. What types of incentives would you be thinking of that would sway legislators from devoting more funds to HR?

If they are getting incentives or not doesn't matter. The stupid excuse the state gives for funding the Richmond convention center and not for Vabeach is unexceptable.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stupid excuse was given by HR legislators in the article, not the state. I agree it isn't necessarily acceptible, but Hoobo made a good point that the Beach was wrong to make such assumptions. Projects and funding should not be based on assumptions like that.

I still think that it is important to hold one's representative(s) accountable for there actions instead of just blaming the whole state government for something. If my representative failed me and my fellow constituents, I would not re-elect them.

Also, why make a claim about incentives to harm HR if you can't substantiate it?

The stupid excuse was given by HR legislators in the article, not the state. I agree it isn't necessarily acceptible, but Hoobo made a good point that the Beach was wrong to make such assumptions. Projects and funding should not be based on assumptions like that.

I still think that it is important to hold one's representative(s) accountable for there actions instead of just blaming the whole state government for something. If my representative failed me and my fellow constituents, I would not re-elect them.

Also, why make a claim about incentives to harm HR if you can't substantiate it?

Don't worry I'm doing some research.

Don't take it out of context. It was wrong to assume, but it was also wrong for the state to give $10 million to Richmond no matter the reasoning when they can't seem to properly fund schools, roads, or museums. If they want to use it for functions, the state should pay a few like every other organization. If not, they should use other state resources like college facilities.

If it was for economic benefit, isn't the new VB Convention Center for economic benefit too? I've tried looking for why the RCC was funded to such a level by the state. According to Kerry Dougherty's article (she has been known to be wrong), the director of VB's convention bureau stated that studies estimated that the state would get $1.6 million in taxes per year from the VBCC. So like any business incentive, it would make sense for the state to help with the funding if it expects to come out on top in the end. If that is the case with RCC, then it's acceptable as long as they fund other convention centers to the same cost-benefit ratio. If it's for free use of the facility, then they better get their money's worth. Otherwise, the state is playing favorites once again.

But at least they gave VB $1.5 million for the PAC according to the RTD (Have fun with this article rus).

Any corelation between convention centers and toll roads? When i visit parts of suburban Richmond they have toll roads; is there an authority controlling and collecting those tolls there? I ask since no one in the legislature can find a dime for transportation projects that both gubernatorial candidates made their campaigns on, yet here we are with literally nothing in the works to help (besides a 6 project 10 billion dollar deal). I live on Hampton blvd, every day like clockwork from 2:30PM to 5, 6, sometimes 7 PM there is a line of cars from the midtown back through ODU. I'd be curious to know the set up for Richmond's toll roads when they originated, and why HR representatives (believe me i use that term VERY loosely) don't believe an authority would achieve anything.

Any corelation between convention centers and toll roads? When i visit parts of suburban Richmond they have toll roads; is there an authority controlling and collecting those tolls there? I ask since no one in the legislature can find a dime for transportation projects that both gubernatorial candidates made their campaigns on, yet here we are with literally nothing in the works to help (besides a 6 project 10 billion dollar deal). I live on Hampton blvd, every day like clockwork from 2:30PM to 5, 6, sometimes 7 PM there is a line of cars from the midtown back through ODU. I'd be curious to know the set up for Richmond's toll roads when they originated, and why HR representatives (believe me i use that term VERY loosely) don't believe an authority would achieve anything.

HR has toll roads: Chesapeake Expressway, CBBT, and the Coleman Bridge. The old VB-Norfolk Expressway was a toll road until it was discovered that the road paid off its debts and per its contract had to remove the tolls. The Downtown Tunnel and HRBT were funded using tolls. The proposed SE Parkway will be funded by tolls. It's easy to fund a new road with tolls but difficult to place tolls on an existing road in order to fund a widening project, a rehab project, a road project somewhere else or even just for maintenance.

In fact, I would say that HR has the most successful toll roads. The existing toll roads are doing well. The former toll roads are former ones because they paid off their debts. RMA is doing a good job with its two toll roads in Richmond (VA-76 and VA-195), but Pocahontas/VA-895 is a failure. In order to improve performance and recoup the money wasted building it by leasing operations to an Australian firm, Macquire. (I use wasted because it was not needed and built only to open up an influential land owner's property to development.) There are two Australian firms buying operation rights to toll roads across the U.S. Anyway, in NoVa, the Dulles Greenway consortium that built the road as a completely private one sold most of it to Transurban, the other Australian operator, because the Greenway is losing money. Pocahontas and Dulles Greenway have two things in common, they are in rural/suburban areas where the alternative routes are not so congested that motorists would rather pay tolls to use an open road.

I don't know how much sense this makes. I paying too much attention to the Agassi-Baghdatis match.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

City hopes efforts will attract new business

The city's Economic Development Department is spending a half a million dollars to tell the business world that Virginia Beach is special. The city is weeks away from launching a $480,000 marketing campaign, complete with a new Web site - www.yesvirginiabeach.com - that aims to lure more companies to Virginia's most populous city.

The effort started last year and is described by city leaders as a necessary tool to attract new firms. Its debut coincides with the start of the city's budget season, a time when rankled citizens frequently complain that only 13 percent of the city's tax base is commercial.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if this is the most appropriate thread for this but Education Management Corp. has leased 35000 sq. feet of Two Columbus Center with plans to put a Culinary Art School bringing 70 jobs with an average salary of 70,000

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/art-school...reating-70-jobs

pretty cool if you ask me. i really like the fact that it means more people will be in town center for more than just eating and shopping

edit: wrong sq. footage

• 7 months later...

This is really bad. There goes 450 good paying jobs for the city and region. :wacko:

story

They just had an article yesterday that our unemployment rate has dropped from a high of 7.3% in the summer to 6.5% now. We're doing excellent when compared to the nation and our regions economy has been in recovery for some time now. This hurts, but we'll survive. This is really bad for those people, but most of them will keep their jobs, theyre just moving elsewhere. This will likely be canceled out in short order.

Archived