Do feel that Fayetteville, NC could ever compete against all the other NC regions?

Cape_Fear_Boi

I've been thinking about this issue for a while because the city council have been taken lots of trips to Atlanta, Ga & St. Louis for economic development research. Plus since Fayetteville a nice size river that runs in/out of the city. Also because the population has jumped up 49,000 new residents in a year because of annex. I can in the next 50-60 fayetteville become the new St. Louis or prototype of Atlanta, GA.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure that St. Louis is a good example to follow as it lost 500,000 people in the last 50 years, if not more.

Ok I understand What I'm your saying but I meant in Skyline terms becuase of the Cape Fear Fear if not St. Louis atleast Austin, TX. I created this topic because I was sick of read about Charlotte-The Triad-The Triangle regions. I wanted read more things about the Eastern Carolinas and Another thing, I remember reading some about NC roads and people were making comments about there should be no need for an outer loop in Fayetteville, NC. I believe they should've been made this road.

Fayetteville, NC is a great city crime is real now

We have the water source in the state (besides wilmington)

plus for a city our size we have alot of clubs & entertaining events

Another fact in the 1800 fayetteville was compared to Atlanta, GA in so many ways until the tragedy of the Fayetteville great fire. Before the fire there was some many small business that were changing into mid-size headquarters (for example Belks).

I created this topic because I was sick of read about Charlotte-The Triad-The Triangle regions. I wanted read more things about the Eastern Carolinas
Welcome to the forum, Cape_Fear_Boi.

By all means, please post more about the eastern Carolinas and Fayetteville, we'd like to hear it. I think the reason that this forum is dominated by triad-triangle-charlotte posts is just that more people live there. But for example, I try to post about Asheville whenever I have something to post, even though there aren't a lot of Asheville forumers here. I really don't know much at all about towns in eastern NC like Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Greenville, Elizabeth City, Wilson, etc. For example, I did not even know that there was a great fire in Fayetteville in the 1800s.

Just remember that competition between metro areas (my city is better than your city) etc is not allowed. Look at some other posts and other forums for ideas on the sort of stuff to post about and you'll have a great time!

Welcome to the forum, Cape_Fear_Boi.

By all means, please post more about the eastern Carolinas and Fayetteville, we'd like to hear it. I think the reason that this forum is dominated by triad-triangle-charlotte posts is just that more people live there. But for example, I try to post about Asheville whenever I have something to post, even though there aren't a lot of Asheville forumers here. I really don't know much at all about towns in eastern NC like Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Greenville, Elizabeth City, Wilson, etc. For example, I did not even know that there was a great fire in Fayetteville in the 1800s.

Just remember that competition between metro areas (my city is better than your city) etc is not allowed. Look at some other posts and other forums for ideas on the sort of stuff to post about and you'll have a great time!

Hey right up my alley. As for the river front or lack there of...It would be a great to develop but the river sits about a hundred feet or more below street grade. If you were to drive in to the city from NC24 and cross the Oscar Breece bridge you would see how steep the banks of the river are. I always wanted a viable riverfront but it would take millions to develop.

There are several things holding Fayetteville back. For one a poor street grid. The surface street do not form a conformal grid downtown and in the surrounding areas it is even worse. Roads and streets change names without warning and if you do not know the area then a map is useless. The upper Cape Fear region is too reliant on federal jobs. The number of manufacturing plants closing has caused a rise in unemployment. The region and the workforce is not educated in the IT or medical and computer/bio fields to compete with the other regions. The region needs a major university. Fayetteville Tech is a good vocational school but in order to prepare the workforce it needs to be upgraded to a major college in the region. Last and not least is the fact there is not a urban core. Downtown is historic but all the growth is southeast or northeast of the core. Fayetteville is sprawlsville. I invite anyone from Cary to Raleigh to Charlotte to visit the Ville and see how bad it is. The people the city added is just the tip of the iceberg. The total population could be well in the 200s.

I love my city but we have major problems that we have to overcome. However Cape Fear Valley Mall is one of the highest grossing malls in terms of retail dollars in the state when all the troops are home of course. There are about 40,000 army-4,000 air force active duty personnel there in peace time. Now add their dependants and the total would amount to about 80,000 people to the Fayetteville population.

Fayetteville is my hometown so I do know a lto about it. But that is the same reason why I now reside in Raleigh.

Fayetteville can only be so much because of the military, yet there is where the strenth of the city lies. If you have noticed fayetteville has no "true" skyscrapers nor huge corporate facilities. Fort Bragg was once the largest army base in the country and as such is considered a huge target for potential attacks, bombings etc. You will never see the kind of economic stimulus that you find in the triad, triangle of Charlotte there because of that risk.

Yes a river runs through it- But the good paying jobs (excluding military of heathcare related ones.) High end retail, Professional sports, International Airport, Vibrant Dowtown, do not.

Not to mention the crime, some of which is stigma, but some of which is unfortunetly real.

I passed through Fayetteville back in 1998 on a Greyhound bus layover. Of course Greyhound bus stations aren't always in the most flattering side of the cities they're in. Nevertheless from what I saw (it was late at night) it seemed OK. It seemed clean. I got a glimpse of downtown, and bought a postcard to see what it looked like during the day. It was not as nice as other NC cities but it wasn't the worst. You would not know by looking at it how populated it is.

It has an advantage, it's the only metro in NC with the busy I-95 running through it's core making it accessable. Also it is close to the Aberdeen, Pinehurst, Southern Pines area which I never been to but it's supposed to be a famous retirement area.

It's also supposed to be near an area (Robeson County). Where the Lumbee Indians live. I believe its one of the highest concentrations of Native Americans in the east. It definately has cultural diversity.

It's location is in the Sandhills region I think, which is supposed to have an agreeable climate hence why Pinehurst started as a resort popular with New Englanders. It's not too far from the beach but far enough inland to be out of the way of Hurricane storm surges.

I see some potential and it would be nice if this area did get it's act together. If for anything due it's location on 95 it is probably the first impression of North Carolina that many passing through get.

I'm just saying the little I know. I'm no expert on the area, but just trying to find a silver lining.

It's location is in the Sandhills region I think, which is supposed to have an agreeable climate hence why Pinehurst started as a resort popular with New Englanders. It's not too far from the beach but far enough inland to be out of the way of Hurricane storm surges.

Actually, statiscally speaking, Fayetteville is one of the the hottest places in NC during the summer. It's not uncommon for days and weeks to go by in the 100s and that sandy soil just radiates it right back into your face. And the down side of not being on the coast is that it doesn't get the cooling breezes from the ocean.

It has an advantage, it's the only metro in NC with the busy I-95 running through it's core making it accessable. Also it is close to the Aberdeen, Pinehurst, Southern Pines area which I never been to but it's supposed to be a famous retirement area.

Pinehurst is where i grew up most of my life

How close is downtown Fayetteville to I-95?

I-95 is about three to four miles to the east of D/T Fayetteville. Most of the development in Fayetteville is between the Cape Fear River or Downtown and stretching west to Fort Bragg. Most travelers on I-95 never get a real idea of what Fayetteville really is as not much is seen from the Interstate.

I grew up in Laurinburg some 45 minutes southwest of Fayetteville. Fayetteville is probably one of the worst examples of sprawl and poor planning I have ever witnessed.

Other than the Interstate, the area is not well connected to much of North Carolina as the primary highways that run east to west travel well north or south of there.

I-95 is about three to four miles to the east of D/T Fayetteville. Most of the development in Fayetteville is between the Cape Fear River or Downtown and stretching west to Fort Bragg. Most travelers on I-95 never get a real idea of what Fayetteville really is as not much is seen from the Interstate.

I grew up in Laurinburg some 45 minutes southwest of Fayetteville. Fayetteville is probably one of the worst examples of sprawl and poor planning I have ever witnessed.

Other than the Interstate, the area is not well connected to much of North Carolina as the primary highways that run east to west travel well north or south of there.

I could not have said it better myself. Going up Raeford Rd you would never think that there were thousands of people living back in those woods cut off from the rest of the city. No public transpo and no street grids or anyting that can resemble a well planned subdivsion. I would imagine that half of Faettevilles population lives in god awful sprawl. I wish someone would create town centers and get some kind of transit system up and going.

Going up Raeford Rd you would never think that there were thousands of people living back in those woods cut off from the rest of the city. No public transpo and no street grids or anyting that can resemble a well planned subdivsion. I would imagine that half of Faettevilles population lives in god awful sprawl.

I remember US 401 (Raeford Rd/Fayetteville Rd) was a two lane highway until the mid 90s when they widened it from the northern end of the Raeford bypass to about where you get into Fayetteville by 71st High School. I agree, the sprawl is out of control and poor planning out there. People REALLY do live out in the woods in random popped up developments, i know it from driving the backroads going to/from Ft Bragg. Theres even trailor park sprawl outside of Cumberland County like extreme eastern Moore, western Harnett and if memory serves, northeastern Hoke counties.

Yeah it is crazy. Add to the fact that Cape Fear Valley mall is the major mall in the area. The traffic around there is maddening. The city needs another mall.

Edit: Cross Creek Mall

If a new mall is built, it should be in close proximity to future I-295 by US 401 (raeford road area) so traffic can move in/out of the area quickly. All-American Freeway helps the people who are residing at Ft. Bragg but not so much for the city residents going to/from Cross Creek.

Edit: Cross Creek Mall

If a new mall is built, it should be in close proximity to future I-295 by US 401 (raeford road area) so traffic can move in/out of the area quickly. All-American Freeway helps the people who are residing at Ft. Bragg but not so much for the city residents going to/from Cross Creek.

You can tell how long I have been gone :lol: I knew something wasn't right about the name.....but I was thinking maybe putting a mall near the north 295 and 95 intersection. At least let drivers know there is some development in NC. I swear 95 is the most boring interstate through NC. Why did the route take it so far away from Raleigh and Fayetteville. I know it followed US 301 but come on!

I don't understand why people find Fayetteville attractive
Fayetteville is nice immediately west of downtown (above Raeford Rd/below Bragg Blvd/east of All American Fwy) but its the area most people dont know about or dont even bother driving into. Again, if there was no military/air force in Fayetteville, i would think the city would be the size of Rocky Mt and downtown would be a lot better because there would probably be no Cross Creek Mall but instead, shopping centers and two Wal Mart supercenters. There should be a seperate post, "What would Fayetteville be without the military?" but anyways...

You can tell how long I have been gone :lol: I knew something wasn't right about the name.....but I was thinking maybe putting a mall near the north 295 and 95 intersection. At least let drivers know there is some development in NC. I swear 95 is the most boring interstate through NC. Why did the route take it so far away from Raleigh and Fayetteville. I know it followed US 301 but come on!

A mall, filled with traveler services at the I-295/I-95/US 13 interchange in Eastover would be great for travelers and people living north & east of Fayetteville but city residents would have to drive a little bit of a ways to get there. Any new mall in Fayetteville would be great!

Im glad I-95 did not go through Raleigh, Columbia, Augusta(GA) and then down towards FL because it would of dealt with horrendous constant out of town traffic

I-40 between Benson and Wilmington IS THE MOST BORING INTERSTATE in the state

I've never lived there, but the people I know who have generally speak unkindly of the place. My father-in-law grew up just outside of town and absolutely hates it. I think the military aspect (think "FayetteNam") gives it a less than savory reputation. From the time I've spent there (admittedly not tons of time, but enough to have an impression) it seems hot, flat, sprawly, and mostly blue collar. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that per se, of course.

That said, there are certainly neat aspects to it, and I like some of what they've done with the downtown area, but I don't think it has the market fundamentals to be another Atlanta, even with the close access to I-95 and the military boosting the economy.

Fayetteville is nice immediately west of downtown (above Raeford Rd/below Bragg Blvd/east of All American Fwy) but its the area most people dont know about or dont even bother driving into. Again, if there was no military/air force in Fayetteville, i would think the city would be the size of Rocky Mt and downtown would be a lot better because there would probably be no Cross Creek Mall but instead, shopping centers and two Wal Mart supercenters. There should be a seperate post, "What would Fayetteville be without the military?" but anyways...

A mall, filled with traveler services at the I-295/I-95/US 13 interchange in Eastover would be great for travelers and people living north & east of Fayetteville but city residents would have to drive a little bit of a ways to get there. Any new mall in Fayetteville would be great!

Im glad I-95 did not go through Raleigh, Columbia, Augusta(GA) and then down towards FL because it would of dealt with horrendous constant out of town traffic

I-40 between Benson and Wilmington IS THE MOST BORING INTERSTATE in the state

I would agree to that too. I say make the speed limit 80 since it all rural and very little local traffic. Although most SUVs would eat up a half tank before they get into Wilmington :blink:

I go down to Fayetteville as well as the Sandhills (Southern Pines/Pinehurst/Aberdeen, etc) areas every once in a while. Fayetteville is actually very nice downtown....lots of people and nice, clean and historic. Once you get several miles from downtown, it gets very sprawly and lots of ugly strip development with grafitti and is dirty. I also think that the overall flatness of it makes the sprawl seem worse. Fayetteville had a very bad reputation 30+ years ago, but they are really trying hard to change that bad image. There is some development downtown, places are cleaning up and they are putting nice "Welcome to Fayetteville" signs in specific areas. The city does have a looooong way to go, but it has also come a long way. I love driving on US 421 from here in Greensboro down to Fayetteville going thru 5 or 6 counties and seeing the topography change. Once I pass Sanford, the land really starts to flatten out a bit and I start seeing more long leaf (needle) pine trees. The soil also becomes sandier, especially in Harnett County. I really think it is cool how the Central Piedmont blends into the Coastal Plains. Fayetteville is actually on the very western part of the coastal plains.....it is not part of the Sandhills region. The Sandhills region is part of the Central Piedmont, but it does look coastal. I will say that the Sandhills region is a bit more attractive than the Fayetteville area.

Fayetteville is actually on the very western part of the coastal plains.....it is not part of the Sandhills region. The Sandhills region is part of the Central Piedmont, but it does look coastal. I will say that the Sandhills region is a bit more attractive than the Fayetteville area.

The map i found in a google search proves that you are right, geologically speaking :thumbsup:

Read this article about the sandhills, its very interesting about the weather that occurs. From years of living in Moore County, i can relate to this article very well. Humidity in the winter is not unusual

Archived