Wish List for Fayetteville

mcheiss

Good point. I do like "Romancing The Stone", "Build-A-Bear", "Spencer Gifts", "Hot Topic", and "Choices", but I for one would like to see a "Brookstone", "Discovery Channel Store", "William-Sonoma", "F.A.O. Schwarz", "Air Traffic Kites & Games", and a "HobbyTown USA".

I agree if not in the mall then somewhere in NWA. I'm hoping that at least of those stores are looking into this area.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point. I do like "Romancing The Stone", "Build-A-Bear", "Spencer Gifts", "Hot Topic", and "Choices", but I for one would like to see a "Brookstone", "Discovery Channel Store", "William-Sonoma", "F.A.O. Schwarz", "Air Traffic Kites & Games", and a "HobbyTown USA".

I think it could be a while before we get an FAO Schwarz, seing as how they only have two stores in the nation. :lol: .

I myself would like to see Build-A-Bear and Discovery Channel Store. I've heard that both of these are being looked at heavily in the Promenade.

I think it could be a while before we get an FAO Schwarz, seing as how they only have two stores in the nation. :lol: .

I myself would like to see Build-A-Bear and Discovery Channel Store. I've heard that both of these are being looked at heavily in the Promenade.

Out of some of the stores recently mentioned I'm looking more forward to a Discovery Store. I wonder if they sell Mythbusters dvds there. :lol:

Build-A-Bear already has a location in NWA Mall next door to Sears. I think it's a permanent location but NWA Mall is infamous for charging too much rent which is why a lot of great stores won't put permanent locations in NWA Mall. Hopefully the Promenade and Pleasant Crossing will knock some senses into NWA Mall and they won't end up like all the other Dead Malls in the nation.

Out of some of the stores recently mentioned I'm looking more forward to a Discovery Store. I wonder if they sell Mythbusters dvds there. :lol:

Their website sells all the MythBusters DVDs so I'd bet a dollar that the store would.

Build-A-Bear already has a location in NWA Mall next door to Sears. I think it's a permanent location but NWA Mall is infamous for charging too much rent which is why a lot of great stores won't put permanent locations in NWA Mall. Hopefully the Promenade and Pleasant Crossing will knock some senses into NWA Mall and they won't end up like all the other Dead Malls in the nation.

Their website sells all the MythBusters DVDs so I'd bet a dollar that the store would.

Yeah I have heard some stories about the mall. Either some of the stores getting mad and leaving or other stores basically getting kicked out.

I'd like to see:

Art Museum

History Museum and Cultural Center for Ozarks culture. I would like to see it feature historical local art and music and history. I believe the Ozarks region and NWA have a vibrant history and culture and that would be unique to featured in Fayetteville.

Denser, more urban development on North College Ave heading out of downtown Fayetteville. I could see some mid rise condos or office lining College Ave up to Maple Street.

Even more preservation of greenspace in and around the cities.

Redevelopment of College Avenue from Drake Field to NWA Mall including expanded greenspaces, buried utilities, trails and parks integrated into the streetscape, better ingress/egress along the route improving traffic flow.

A regional park with Ampitheatre for cultural events, ala Riverfest Ampitheater in LR.

There is a pretty big art museum being built in the Downtown Bentonville area. The Crystal Bridges American Museum of Art is suppose to be the top art museum in the south and one of the best in the nation. It's a project that Alice Walton has been working on for quite some time. It won't be finished for 4 or 5 years though.

I'd like to see:

Art Museum

History Museum and Cultural Center for Ozarks culture. I would like to see it feature historical local art and music and history. I believe the Ozarks region and NWA have a vibrant history and culture and that would be unique to featured in Fayetteville.

Denser, more urban development on North College Ave heading out of downtown Fayetteville. I could see some mid rise condos or office lining College Ave up to Maple Street.

Even more preservation of greenspace in and around the cities.

Redevelopment of College Avenue from Drake Field to NWA Mall including expanded greenspaces, buried utilities, trails and parks integrated into the streetscape, better ingress/egress along the route improving traffic flow.

A regional park with Ampitheatre for cultural events, ala Riverfest Ampitheater in LR.

I certainly agree with you there. A few years ago they talked about a College Ave beautification program for a while. At least doing some little things like putting the powerlines underground and a few cosmetic changes. But then they got estimates in how much it would cost and everyone forgot about it. I need to find an old pic of College Ave. It used to be known as a very nice beautiful road, I think the whole thing was lined with trees. Of course that was before it was 5 lanes too. I also like the idea of not just an art museum but something preserving the art and culture of the Ozarks. Very nice idea.

I would like to see a cultural museum of the area in Fayetteville or possibly Downtown Bentonville. There's plenty of rich history that should be displayed proudly in our region.

Our many museums have plenty of Ozark History, but as you've said before they don't have much draw. If they would build a "Smithsonian" type Museum and consolidate all of our local Museums it would make for an awesome Ozark Museum. I believe it should be located in Fayetteville as it would add to it's already rich cultural attractions. Bentonville will have the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art which is going to have huge draw power. As for Springdale it will have the Professional Sports attractions and Rogers the Upscale Shopping attractions.

I certainly agree with you there. A few years ago they talked about a College Ave beautification program for a while. At least doing some little things like putting the powerlines underground and a few cosmetic changes. But then they got estimates in how much it would cost and everyone forgot about it. I need to find an old pic of College Ave. It used to be known as a very nice beautiful road, I think the whole thing was lined with trees. Of course that was before it was 5 lanes too. I also like the idea of not just an art museum but something preserving the art and culture of the Ozarks. Very nice idea.

I've seen the pics of College Avenue from the 1950s. It used to be an incredibly beautiful street, canopied by huge oak trees. I wish we could get some of that back. The city's tree ordinance is paying off, however, and each year I go back, the trees planted at every new development get bigger and better. Fayetteville has a headstart on any city in Arkansas for creating an urban forest.

My dad grew up in Fayetteville and owns a home there not too far from the Razorback 6 Cinema. When my grandparents bought it in the 1940s, I remember my grandmother saying, people wanted to know why they wanted to live so far out of town!

Our many museums have plenty of Ozark History, but as you've said before they don't have much draw. If they would build a "Smithsonian" type Museum and consolidate all of our local Museums it would make for an awesome Ozark Museum. I believe it should be located in Fayetteville as it would add to it's already rich cultural attractions. Bentonville will have the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art which is going to have huge draw power. As for Springdale it will have the Professional Sports attractions and Rogers the Upscale Shopping attractions.

Is there some kind of museum consortium or musem foundation working towards this goal in NWA?

If not, there should be.

With all of the capital floating around up there for tax write offs, the right lobbying effort could make this a reality sooner than later.

Is there some kind of museum consortium or musem foundation working towards this goal in NWA?

If not, there should be.

With all of the capital floating around up there for tax write offs, the right lobbying effort could make this a reality sooner than later.

These are a couple of the biggest consortiums in NWA:

Northwest Arkansas Council

Northwest Arkansas Regional Planning Commission

I've seen the pics of College Avenue from the 1950s. It used to be an incredibly beautiful street, canopied by huge oak trees. I wish we could get some of that back. The city's tree ordinance is paying off, however, and each year I go back, the trees planted at every new development get bigger and better. Fayetteville has a headstart on any city in Arkansas for creating an urban forest.

My dad grew up in Fayetteville and owns a home there not too far from the Razorback 6 Cinema. When my grandparents bought it in the 1940s, I remember my grandmother saying, people wanted to know why they wanted to live so far out of town!

If not, there should be.

Yeah, I'm not sure if we can get College Ave back to where it was but it certainly can be improved from what it is now. I hope we can get some more talk of a beautification project along College Ave again. A lot of developments have been focusing around the Square and Dickson St. But they are turning an old gas station on the corner of College Ave and Lafayette into a small mixed-use development with some condos. I'm hoping this will also get some nicer developments and renovations going along College Ave. And as you said there needs to be more done in getting a nice museum. There was talk over a year ago about trying to get one in Fayetteville and having it affiliated with the Smithsonian. But then I never heard anymore about it. I took it to mean that someone had the idea but couldn't get anyone interested to help provide the money to get the idea off the ground. It would be nice if we could get one of our big business families involved with this. Even if it wasn't built in Fayetteville the metro could really use one.

Archived