Clemson Area Updates

GSP Tiger

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great! why don't they just take the old Bojangles building that has been vacant for all of the 4 years I have been at Clemson!

Seriously. That gas station is certainly the only one not conforming to the otherwise generic look of Tiger Blvd. Though I do like the Sonic milkshakes...

Does anyone know what they are building downtown in front of the garage?

I can't say for sure but i think at one point the area across from the garage was supposed to be some type of housing units.Apartments,condos,ect... Its been a while back though and I cant remember if that piece of property is big enough for appartments.

At one point there was a plan to do that in the shopping center directly north of the Astro. That fell through due to local opposition. Its for the best though because I understand that they were actually going to be gameday condos, which would be a bad idea for College Avenue.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only assume that the City of Clemson has some sort of regulartion requireing its demolition, or it has some sort of strip center in the works.

I have never seen Ingles tear down its old structures. There are 3 in Boiling Springs. At least two in Spartanburg that I can think of, but I am certain that there are more.

I've also seen them in Anderson, and I think Seneca as well.

I noticed that they tore down the old Ingles, which was right next to the current one. I've never seen Ingles do this before.

In Powdersville and Mauldin, Ingle's built a new store right next door to their old locations, but have not yet torn them down. I wonder if they plan to expand or build more strip mall space in Clemson?

Demolition of an old Ingle's next to a new one is not new. This has occured at locations in Seneca, Easley on US-123, Spartanburg on South Pine Street and Cashiers, NC on US-64.

In Powdersville, the old location became a Duck Head company store, which lasted for nearly two years. In Mauldin, it is now a Big Lots.

It would be great to see a strip center for some retail and eateries yet new freestanding Ingle's are not new. I am just glad to see a new Ingle's is there. :thumbsup:

No, the one on S Pine in Spartanburg was rennovated, not demolished. THere is another on E Main & Zion Hill that has been empty for 10 years. There is another on Fernwood-Glendale near Jesse Boyd Elem. that has been vacant for much longer. Maybe 13-15 years. It now has a gas station in front, but you can still see the wonderful yellow orange and brown facade. Boiling Springs is on its 3rd Ingles- with two old ones just sitting there.

My theory is that if Ingles is not made to reuse, destroy or sell their old buildings then they won't do it.

No, the one on S Pine in Spartanburg was rennovated, not demolished.

Okay, this is also what happened at locations in Pickens and West Union when both stores expanded and remodeled.

Boiling Springs is on its 3rd Ingles- with two old ones just sitting there.

When did the newer Ingle's by I-85 close? I know the store closest to Lake Bowen has been open for some months now.

No, that one is still open. You're thinking of the one on 176/Asheville Hwy in the North Spartanburg area. The ones I am talkign about are all on Hwy 9. There is the one abandoned one near the new 85 on the hill behind the McDonalds, and there is another further up the road from there. They recently opened the new mega-Ingles somewhere closer to what is considered the core of Boiling Springs. North of the Valley Falls Rd intersection I think. I haven't been up there in a while so, my bearings are not perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to Clemson....

It looks as though they will be constructing some shops next to the new Ingles. Lots of stakes and construction equipment in the area.

That whatever-it-is they are building down on College Ave is really coming along. Its up to two stories, and up on that hill it looks mighty impressive. I wonder if it will be as tall as that new building next to it?

That building with Moe's in it has a tremendous impact on downtown from afar. Looking from Bowman/Tillman or from Tiger Blvd... it has a great presense. I'd like to see some more buildings like this on Clemson's skyline.

does anyone know when the church on Old Greenville Hwy will be torn down to make way for more condos??? This road is going to look awesome in a few years with all of the condos lining it...

That building with Moe's in it has a tremendous impact on downtown from afar. Looking from Bowman/Tillman or from Tiger Blvd... it has a great presense. I'd like to see some more buildings like this on Clemson's skyline.

does anyone know when the church on Old Greenville Hwy will be torn down to make way for more condos??? This road is going to look awesome in a few years with all of the condos lining it...

Isn't that Tom Winkopp's "The Fieldhouse at Riggs"?

PerspectiveFieldHouse_main.jpg

SitePlanFieldHouse_main.jpg

I went out with my camera tonight and some friends. These are a bit rough, but i'm working on my night photography skills :thumbsup: .

The recently renovated Greek Quad:

clemson06031.jpg

Godfrey Hall:

clemson06034.jpg

Tillman Hall:

clemson06035.jpg

clemson06041.jpg

clemson06051.jpg

Downtown Clemson from Bowman Field/Clemson University

clemson06038.jpg

Tillman Hall's former Bell. Now in the Carillion Gardens

clemson06046.jpg

Sikes Hall

clemson06048.jpg

Hardin Hall

clemson06049.jpg

Isn't that Tom Winkopp's "The Fieldhouse at Riggs"?

PerspectiveFieldHouse_main.jpg

SitePlanFieldHouse_main.jpg

Ok, now I know where the church is. I forget that there is a church there as it doesn't really look like one. Yes, those are definately the same.

Thanks for those updates btoy!

Also thanks for those photos Gville. I think that Sikes is probably one of my favorite looking buildings on campus.

Have you noticed that they have scraped that lot behind Harcombe, Norris Hall, and in front of the energy building? Has it always been that way, or do you (or does anyone) know what will happen there?

• 2 weeks later...

That whatever-it-is they are building down on College Ave is really coming along. Its up to two stories, and up on that hill it looks mighty impressive. I wonder if it will be as tall as that new building next to it?

This mystery building appears to be a new annex for the church that is adjacent to it. I am seriously doubting it will have any serious connections to College Ave at this point. But hey, maybe I am wrong?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Clemson developments

The circle in front of Tillman Hall has been redone, and extends all the way up to 93 and Sikes Hall and in front of Brackett Hall too.

The family housing units (Douthit Hills) should be torn down in the near future.

A building on Old Greenville Highway (93) was torn down, it was the very odd looking gray building between where Hardee's was (now Tiger Park) and Tiger Walk. The property is enclosed by a Brick and iron fence. Will be used for game day parking in the meantime. Eventually more condo's will probably be built.

A couple of houses along Sunset avenue were torn down to expand the park at Valley walk (tailgaiting park on the back side of Valley Walk Condos, behind Esso Club).

Construction on the Fieldhouse at Riggs (accross from Riggs field) and the Brickmill at Strode (accross from Papa John's on College avenue) have yet to start. The old Clemson United Methodist church is still standing on the Fieldhouse site.

The old ingles on 93 was torn down.

More garden style apartments are being built off of Issaquenna trail near the 123 exit.

University Village built more Townhomes. It's now a huge apartment complex.

West End Zone Project is done for now.

College Avenue was repaved, hopefully development will start spreading further down towards 123.

The expansion of the Baptist church next to the parking deck is nearing completion

About 20 town houses with parking underneath them were built on the corner of Pickens street and Calhoun Street.

Construction on the Morrison Annex project should be starting soon.

Overall Tiger Town is looking pretty good.

Archived