Clemson Area Updates

GSP Tiger

I forgot something, It's actually for Central but Central and Clemson are tied together more than ever now. Central is wrapping up their downtown streetscape project. They redid the angled parking downtown, and put a brick and iron fence with historical looking lights on top between the parking spaces and the railroad tracks. It's a really good improvement.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be 3 routes that serve Seneca-

1- An express route from downtown to Clemson University and Tri-County Tech; this route provides access to the rest of the CATbus routes.

2-A route service Seneca, Utica, and Wells Hwy

3-A route serving businesses along US-123

• 2 months later...

Fantastic, yet another another condo complex that students cant afford to live in!

Clemson is becoming a more popular area for retirees and older people with money. There are tons of apartments in Clemson geared specifically for students. If the demand is there for more expensive condos, what's wrong with developers recognizing it and building them?

There is no student housing near campus, and that is a major problem. People can't walk to class here unless they are on campus, and even then people drive sometimes. This particular location is not convenient to campus, so perhaps my initial comment was not warranted, but my issue is with this type of development in general. Retirees ahve their place, but this is a college town and its made up mostly of students who have to live waay of campus.

If you can find the land that's close enough to Campus and big enough for student apartments, then show me. Because right now, any place near campus is going to require demolition and cost more money than it's worth for cheap apartments. It probably won't even be walkable either.

You're thinking about apartemnt complexes. I'm talking about smaller townhome style apartments (similar to Oak St, but not as crappy looking). They could easily be built in the neighborhoods on either side of downtown, but thats professorland, so it cant happen. Also, think about those Gameday condos that were built on 93... those could have been student housing instead. Anything is possible.

Also, there is a HUGE golf course, that could be moved elsewhere off of campus, that could be used for housing. It wouldnt be hard to turn Cherry Rd into a pedestiran friendly street.

You're thinking about apartemnt complexes. I'm talking about smaller townhome style apartments (similar to Oak St, but not as crappy looking). They could easily be built in the neighborhoods on either side of downtown, but thats professorland, so it cant happen. Also, think about those Gameday condos that were built on 93... those could have been student housing instead. Anything is possible.

Also, there is a HUGE golf course, that could be moved elsewhere off of campus, that could be used for housing. It wouldnt be hard to turn Cherry Rd into a pedestiran friendly street.

Yea, but even so, that end of 93 is in the athletic district and farther than most people would want to walk. Most people who live behind the Esso Club drive to campus. But that would most likely be the best location. I'd love to see downtown buildings have student housing. That would be the ultimate place to live-- a 5 story building with retail on the first floor and students living above... Too bad those condos going next to Moe's will be not for students. By the way, the ridge has a wonderful location.

Maybe... once they build the garage(s) they have planned on building, they will replace some of the surface lots with some nice student housing options...

Thats true. I'd like to see that neighborhood better integrated with campus. I think it can be set up in such a way that people who live there will walk. Right now its very unfriendly to pedestrians.

That buiding next to Moe's looks like it will fit in the area at least with ground floor retail. I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to make student houing cost effective on College Avenue, even though I would like to see it. I do think that the areas just off of College Ave would be a great place for townhome style, student oriented housing.

As for campus... check out the Campus Master Plan. It gives you some insight as to what the University is thinking about for the future. The surface lots, especially those behind Lee Hall (C4, C5 I think) are slated to have buildings on them at some point in the future... I assume they are academic, but who knows what will actually happen.

Thanks for the link, I find the plans interesting. Clemson certainly has a bright future and I can't wait to watch it unfold before us. Of course not all of it will happen as they are planning, but their plans are rather ambitious anyway. :thumbsup:

Thats true. Plans are just that though. They are a guide, not a step by step instruction manual. If half of this stuff comes to pass then Clemson will be that much better for it.

Another link you might find interesting is the City of Clemson's Comprehensive Plan. They may annex the University at some point....

There was a sign in between the new condos and the new annex for the church on Clemson Blvd for a new midrise condo called...something or other Towers. Looked to be a nice 5-6 floor building with quite a modern, edgy design. The land between the condo and church is VERY narrow and now houses what looks like a bunglalow style house (what is that??) but the sign is there so I guess we will see. Ill check tomorrow on the name of it.

There was a sign in between the new condos and the new annex for the church on Clemson Blvd for a new midrise condo called...something or other Towers. Looked to be a nice 5-6 floor building with quite a modern, edgy design. The land between the condo and church is VERY narrow and now houses what looks like a bunglalow style house (what is that??) but the sign is there so I guess we will see. Ill check tomorrow on the name of it.

Its called Tower Place I think. Its a stupid name. Its going to be 5 stories and it looks like it will be similar to the adjacent "highrise" in design. It will have ground floor retail/restaurant space, which is key to moving the College Ave atmosphere futher down the hill. I am interestsed to see how they will cram it in there as well. But at least that crappy old house is going to be gone! Its hard to believe that just a few years ago that was just trees.

• 1 month later...

Archived