Clemson Area Updates

GSP Tiger

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^can you share a picture of the redesign?

I too am looking forward to Clemson's expanded retail scene downtown.

I am also interested to see how that Starbuck's impacts traffic. I suspect it will back things up quite a bit in the AM.

Here's the best I can do, a picture of the brochure:

2190643704_76e36f57b5.jpg

It just looks like a cheap hotel or something. Granted, it's a TERRIBLE rendering, so hopefully it will turn out much nicer in person.

I can't seem to locate the one that fronts Hwy 93/Bowman Field, but it's a beautiful building. It's online somewhere if anyone wants to look (I tried and failed, though I have seen it on there).

Thanks for snapping that picture!

The main problem with that rendering is that you can't see what it will look like from the Keith St at College Ave perspective. I can't say as I like it anymore than the old design given our limited perspective, but the key feature- and why this building is good- is that it has retail spaces on the ground level (as did the old one). That will allow for the extension of the urban part of downtown to the north.... I hope that one day it will reach Tiger Blvd. Its also a major improvement over that dilapidated old house.

I can't seem to locate the one that fronts Hwy 93/Bowman Field, but it's a beautiful building. It's online somewhere if anyone wants to look (I tried and failed, though I have seen it on there).

Are you talking about the one that former Clemson soccer coach Dr. I.M. Ibrahim is behind? It's called "The Legacy" and is right across from Bowman field and Sikes Hall. Link:

https://www.tigersports.com/index.asp?ID=11...geAction=Custom

Are you talking about the one that former Clemson soccer coach Dr. I.M. Ibrahim is behind? It's called "The Legacy" and is right across from Bowman field and Sikes Hall. Link:

https://www.tigersports.com/index.asp?ID=11...geAction=Custom

Yes, that's it. I wonder how exactly it will interact with downtown and how it will sit on the site. It's a good 20-30 feet above College Avenue but right in the thick of things.

The City of Clemson passed a resolution tonight making all public buildings Smoke-Free. It will go into effect on July 1, 2008, according to an email sent to the student body of the University.

I got that one, but I was hoping for an outdoor ban as that seems to be whats the most dangeous to public health.

• 3 weeks later...

Projects at the University:

Site work is really moving along nicely on the new Packaging Science and Graphics building. It's going to be named after someone with the last name of Smith. Funny thing is that a Smith Hall already exists. It's a residential building (Sorority dorm) on the east side of campus at Bryan Mall. Though maybe this building will be more often referred to as the Sonoco Institute? That could be awkward showing up at the wrong building to move in or for class...

Behind this building's location is construction for 'Chilled Water Improvements'. I'm not sure what that includes, but it's a new structure behind Earle Hall and is rising quickly.

The New Academic Success Center should begin construction fairly soon. Perhaps once the library finishes its HVAC work? The new building will flank the grassy area between Cooper Libaray and Strom Thurmond Institute.

The Rhodes Research building will be expanding out the back. This will close the parking lot on the east side of the Library. We've gotten emails announcing this, so it can't be too long before they start action...

Downtown Clemson:

Beezer's has closed. Perhaps the overabundance of Sub places has taken its first victim..?

Also, Duke's is always closed. I'm not sure that they haven't shut their doors for good. Interestingly enough, I still get coupons on my Ingles receipts for free sandwiches...?

Tigertown Graphics is building new facility on College Avenue a few doors down. I'm not sure if they're just expanding or moving from their current space, which was recently renovated.

Construction continues on the new 5 story building next to Moe's.

Gville.. Do you knopw when they are starting the scroll of Honor memorial by Death Valley. I walk by there several times but they never have information besides asking for contributions and the sketches seem pretty vague.

It is going to be interesting the next 2 years as more projects get started on campus such as the union redevelopment and Hunter expansion. Hopefully getting to classes won't be too hard through all of this.

Gville.. Do you knopw when they are starting the scroll of Honor memorial by Death Valley. I walk by there several times but they never have information besides asking for contributions and the sketches seem pretty vague.

It is going to be interesting the next 2 years as more projects get started on campus such as the union redevelopment and Hunter expansion. Hopefully getting to classes won't be too hard through all of this.

I don't know anything about the Scroll of Honor. I only recently found out about it, but I have no clue when it will start. They typically don't put up the sign until they're getting close to construction, so I'd think it must be happening fairly soon. Hopefully before football season starts...

I'm really excited about the new Union and immediate area. The entire face of the West side of Campus will be change for this project. The views should be amazing when it's completed.

What will be interesting to me is the new Academic Success center and the Center for Centers. Those two buildings will completely cut off the use of the paved road where South Palmetto used to go. That road, IMO should be used for transit. You could actually have a campus circulator that circles the campus.

What will be interesting to me is the new Academic Success center and the Center for Centers. Those two buildings will completely cut off the use of the paved road where South Palmetto used to go. That road, IMO should be used for transit. You could actually have a campus circulator that circles the campus.

It was a road at one time. I like Clemson's current set up. It basically allows no cars at the campus' core (except for employees who arrive early and mostly leave late). And you can drive around at the center of campus, but you can't connect to the other side without going around the perimeter. As a result, it's a great pedestrian environment with little pedestrian-car interaction. It encourage bus use and mostly walking. It might be nice to have a Campus connector during the day (that route starts at 6pm or so when the Orange route ends...), but it's great to get out and walk.

I like the current set up in general, but I think that the university should make an exception for transit. That pathway across that quad is designed to carry fire trucks and other emergency vehicles, so we know it can handle a bus.

And it does handle buses on game days for ADA visitors. But yea, if it's just buses using that pathway, I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

The crane is up and work is well underway for the Rhodes Hall Annex project. They also just put up a project information board with a rendering near the site. I think the addition will look rather nice. I'll see if I can remember to get a picture of it.

Also, Smith Hall's progress is coming along nicely.

Additionally, work on the rotunda that will sit along the President's Walk is underway. The rotunda is a class project.

Downtown Clemson's new 'midrise' continues to go vertical.

Currently Duke's and Beezer's old places continue to sit vacant on College Ave. I'm sure someone will open in those places this summer, that's when the turnovers usually seem to happen downtown.

Also, a retail space in Tillman Village (Food Lion shopping center on 93) is being upfitted for a Beef O Brady's.

I heard that the Center for Centers will not destroy the connector path (formerly South Palmetto Dr), it will just relocate the path.

According to the latest plan that I have seen the connector path will no longer be there.

Here is the preliminary design:

http://hdenzingerstudio.com/educational12.htm

http://hdenzingerstudio.com/current%20project9.htm

http://www.clemson.edu/newsroom/multimedia...cess_center.jpg

^^^it says estimated completion date of 2006.

State funding hasn't come through until recently for it. Construction should start this summer. The clemson.edu picture was sent out in a news release 1 year ago about impending campus projects.

@ Spartan: I just don't see where they would relocate that road. With all that is planned on that part of campus and the fact that the area is a planned greenbelt, I can't determine a logical place to relocate the connector path.

Apparently the parking lot behind Poole Agricultural Hall will be closing according to an email recently. A new life sciences building will be built. It seems like an odd location to me. P&A used to be the center of activity on campus (back when they sold Clemson ice cream, cheese, and meats in Newman), but now it's rather off the beaten path. It's poorly lit at night out that way, too. I'd even think across 93 from the President's home (where the duplexes used to exist) would be a better location. According to their master plan, they're planning offices over there in the future.

I think its great that they are removing parking from campus. Clemson has entirely too much of that.

Have they started on the parking deck across from Hendrix yet?

That has gotten delayed, it is still planned to be started before 2010.

@GvilleSC: They are trying to keep all the agriculture classes together. In that spirit, there are plans for an engineering quad in the "high ground precinct"

Archived