Clemson Area Updates

GSP Tiger

I think its great that they are removing parking from campus. Clemson has entirely too much of that.

Have they started on the parking deck across from Hendrix yet?

While it may be good to remove asphalt, it does pose one problem: Football weekends. Sure, it's only 6 or so games a year, but it is an issue. IPTAY will be paying the student government $25,000 next year for the complete use of the pit on the east side of campus, requiring all students except those at the Clemson House parking area to move their cars to Kite Hill. People can park in the grass like they do near the stadium if asphalt is removed, but you can't cut trees down for that... When there's only so much parking, people don't know where to go, and when people don't know where to go, traffic backs up on Hwy 76 to Interstate 85. That's dangerous and happens even now. What to do? Clemson has GREAT tailgating, but people won't be happy doing it in a parking garage. :scared:

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Road S-39-18, where Wal-mart is located, seems poised to continue developing into a retail corridor if nothing remains on Old Greenville Highway (SC-93).

Issaqueena Trail has many residential communities off it. Do they want no retail at all, or light retail like a supermarket?

I don't think Issaqueena is even zoned for commercial, if it is then its only light commercial. 18 Mile Rd in Central is zoned entirely for commercial. Central has annexed all the way to the other side of 123. I would expect to see more commercial in that area before anywhere else.

• 1 month later...

The sidewalk along U.S. 123 has been torn up and is being replaced (and added in some places). It is being removed from the immediate street-side location to several feet away from the road. The walk-ability of this street should improve greatly by giving pedestrians a barrier from the traffic. This is a good move by the City! :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

So what are they going to do to the Astro? So far as I can tell they just closed it. Who's to say they won't renovate it and make it into a more modern movie theater?

I believe Consolidated Theaters may have operated the Astro, and the building is owned by someone in Charleston I think? They have no interest in reopening it. Clemson students actually crashed Consolidated's email system earlier this year due to the sheer amount of email for reconsideration of their decision. The passion of the students apparently didn't change their mind.

Students and the City want to save the building to be used for arts. I think it's a good concept. It really has the potential to add some extra energy to that portion of College AVe, where new restaurants have opened in the past year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The recently opened Food Lion in Clemson is going to be closing its doors. One factor, I think is their hours. They close at 11pm. Despite their great beer prices, they weren't open when many people look to buy beer. Bilo gets all that business.

There's been rumors of a Publix looking to expand into Clemson. I think they'd do very well, even if they took Food Lion's place across from Bilo. Publix actually has a following. I think you'd easily get people to drive from Central, Pendleton, and Seneca, in addition to the Clemson shoppers.

In related news, work on the Marriott at Tillman Village (where Food Lion is located) is coming along well. It's up several stories now. We could see them open during football season, I'd think. Also, the Holiday Inn Express (I think) on Tiger Blvd is also advancing.

• 1 month later...

<_< Now that the CAT service has been cut back, the student body is threatening to scrap the fee they pay annually on their tuition for transit according to this article: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...EWS01/903290321 Like I said a few months ago, this cut back was a bad idea and i'm still against it.

The funding won't be cut all together. It's a threat and that's all. As someone who actually uses CAT, the TIGER Route is actually much more useful for getting around campus. The only problem is that it comes every 8 minutes.

The recently opened Food Lion in Clemson is going to be closing its doors. One factor, I think is their hours. They close at 11pm. Despite their great beer prices, they weren't open when many people look to buy beer. Bilo gets all that business.

There's been rumors of a Publix looking to expand into Clemson. I think they'd do very well, even if they took Food Lion's place across from Bilo. Publix actually has a following. I think you'd easily get people to drive from Central, Pendleton, and Seneca, in addition to the Clemson shoppers.

In related news, work on the Marriott at Tillman Village (where Food Lion is located) is coming along well. It's up several stories now. We could see them open during football season, I'd think. Also, the Holiday Inn Express (I think) on Tiger Blvd is also advancing.

I think since Food Lion still has a Bloom in Clemson it is not likely that they would sub-lease to Publix.

Personally, I like Bloom, but not enough to drive all the way to Seneca to shop there.

The Marriott Hotel next to the old Food Lion is still progressing. It's up to 6 floors now.

I am still a bit surprised that Clemson landed a Marriott, but I think it will do well simply because everyone visiting doesn't want to stay at one of the budget hotels currently available in the area. I look forward to seeing this one in person one day. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I am studying in the Clemson library today, and am amazed at the progress made at the SC 93 exit off of 123. The brick retail space there looks GREAT, and the 5-6 story building behind the retail is very attractive also (I assume this is the Marriott?).

Driving down 93 from there toward the Clemson campus was a treat. More attractive retail on the right, then the new First Citizens bank building on the left enhance the drive until you enter campus. Once on campus, I was reminded of how beautiful, clean, and GREEN it is. The trees planted in the median earlier this decade have really grown, and create a nice canopy as you drive in. Several building projects are going on throughout campus, which are all great. Everything just looks so nice - I'm so proud to be an alum! :wub:

Archived