Clemson Area Updates

GSP Tiger

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

This sounds like a good project. They just finished putting in a new water line on Issaqueena. The dust has literally not had time to settle and we are already seeing this project, plus two others that are going in just up the road from there. The housing market here is insane. I can think of 5 large housing developments (including this new town center thing) within a mile or two of my location. Whats interesting about it is that its dense. Its nothing like what you are seeing in the rest of the Upstate. The apartment market, however, is feeling a slump because there are so many new units opening or going up.

Then there's the old WestPoint Stevens Plant....

• 1 month later...

This is great news for some of Clemson's older buildings- especially those built in the 60s-70s. The face lift will serve them well.

I have to say, though, I don't like the location of this "academic success" building/Center of Centers. That location would cut off any possible extension of the CAT bus route though the middle of campus, which will kill any chance of Clemson having a true "campus connector" that actually connects the campus during all hours of the day.

Sorry for that rant, but this is one of my biggest frustrations with Clemson. Campus planners talk about a pedestrian oriented, transit friendly campus, yet they refuse to use transit in the most effective way possible.

This is good news though. I am particularly fond of the student union renderings. With Barker's architecture background, you can be sure that these buildings will look nice.

• 2 months later...

If someone massively redeveloped the former WestPoint Stevens facility into a massive residential/retail/university extension district, CAT could easily connect.

^From what I hear, its not an "if" with the Westpoint Stevens plant.

Yeah Spartan. That's an interesting statement you made. What exactly are we talking about.... :). I don't see lightrail, but CAT service into Anderson seems like a good idea.

Also - I think I was a little misunderstood. When I said apartments appealing to Students - I wasn't thinking Clemson. I was thinking Anderson U. It's just a few blocks from downtown. I don't know that a ton of students live off campus. Probably not. But I'll bet a few do and I would think that a trendy downtown dig would be appealing.

Would you care to expand on that at all spartan? I'm assuming you've heard it will happen, but the question is when?

I assume that property will indeed be redeveloped. Its manufacuring days appear over. With the building razed and turned into a town center of some sorts, you have many things to work with. This speculation and discussion is worthy of its own topic.

I've heard a rumor from a credible source that there are big plans for the Westpoint Stevens plant. There was no timeline mentioned to me, and no guarantees that it will happen. If it does happen, it will be a very big deal for the Clemson area. BoDragon has the right idea.

Rethinking the WestPoint Stevens facility and the immediate area, the textile industry still exists. Could it be used as a reseach center for producing and studying materials? Clemson University - College of Engineering and Science has a School of Materials Science and Engineering.

• 2 weeks later...

The Clemson Bi-Lo was arleady decked out in orange and white prior to its expansion into Super Bi-Lo. The Super Bi-Lo concept focuses more on service, selection, price, and quality. Too bad Food Lion/Bloom are complete opposite (no service/no pharmacies yet, higher prices, etc.).

Clemson's "Clemson" Bilo is now a Super Bilo, but it's still orange and decked out in Tiger stuff. Bloom must be providing some stiff competition or just worrying them.

BI-LO has been renovating many of their stores across the Upstate for awhile now, likely in an attempt to spark renewed interest in their brand as new competition has arrived.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone have information on the new development for the corner of Old Greenville Hwy (Hwy 93) and College Avenue in downtown Clemson? I've only seen the sign from 93 and it sits up on the hill, but it looks like a 4 or 5 story structure with condominiums and retail from what I've heard... It'd be great to have the retail component, though I'm not sure the condos are needed. The ugly proposed development on College Avenue next to Moe's still has yet to see any action, so who knows if the market could handle this development. Either way, I am aware that the house that currently sits on the site is being vacated after this semester (by order of the owner)...

Clemson's Starbucks opened today at the corner of College Avenue and Hwy 123.

Also, I hadn't realized this, but the Tower Place condo development in downtown Clemson got a redesign. The house on the site has been torn down and it looks like foundation work has started. I personally don't care for the new design, but it's better than the previous design. I look forward to the development expanding the retail scene of downtown Clemson.

Archived