Clemson Area Updates

GSP Tiger

Haven't been back in a while huh? ;)

Clemson has made tremendous progress even over the past 4 years. The two shopping areas you mention were both built in that time frame, and both removed some otherwise unattractive and/or derelict buildings.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been back in a while huh? ;)

Clemson has made tremendous progress even over the past 4 years. The two shopping areas you mention were both built in that time frame, and both removed some otherwise unattractive and/or derelict buildings.

I guess it had been a few years since I had been able to just take it all in. I went back to Clemson for some football and basketball games last year, but it was either dark or I did not take 93. I did see the changes downtown last year, including the new area with Moe's. I think that was very well done, and really transforms that intersection in a good way.

Are you still in Clemson, or have you finished your graduate program there?

I guess it had been a few years since I had been able to just take it all in. I went back to Clemson for some football and basketball games last year, but it was either dark or I did not take 93. I did see the changes downtown last year, including the new area with Moe's. I think that was very well done, and really transforms that intersection in a good way.

That building next to Moe's must have lost its funding. There's been no progress (as of May) since last fall. I'm not a fan of the building itself, but It'd sure be nice to have a completed building.

In other news downtown, Keith Street Pub closed at some point, and this past spring semester reopened as "The Den". It now has more of a lounge feel with sofas, tables, and such...

That sucks about Keith Street. That was one of my favorite places. Hopefully the food in the new place is as good as Keith Street's was.

Are you still in Clemson, or have you finished your graduate program there?

Nope, I'm finished. I'm in Charlotte for the time being. I try to get back to Clemson at least once a year. Last time I was there I went to that new shopping center, which is fairly well done. The Retreat (out towards Central) was also interesting to me. They built that in less than a year- including site prep... scary stuff. The new building downtown wasn't quite finished when I was there last (Clemson-Carolina game).

That sucks about Keith Street. That was one of my favorite places. Hopefully the food in the new place is as good as Keith Street's was.

Nope, I'm finished. I'm in Charlotte for the time being. I try to get back to Clemson at least once a year. Last time I was there I went to that new shopping center, which is fairly well done. The Retreat (out towards Central) was also interesting to me. They built that in less than a year- including site prep... scary stuff. The new building downtown wasn't quite finished when I was there last (Clemson-Carolina game).

The Retreat was indeed built very fast, as was Chimney Ridge off of Issaqueena Trail. They're both student developments of houses and extremely nice. Of course, you pay for that luxury of no shared walls and quality finish. Then again, I lived in Central for a while and I much prefer the properties closer to campus for their location.

Yea, the downtown building is exactly like it was when you last saw it then, Spartan.

Downtown Clemson has several vacant buildings, including the old Beezers/Tasty Cluckin' Chicken, and Ben & Jerry's (both on College Ave). However, I'm glad to see Spill The Beans in Clemson win the battle for ice cream. They have great evening events, including Jazz nights, plus, they're a local establishment, and have a great atmosphere. :)

Wow I didn't know there were so many closures. Beezer's was a staple food source for me in Clemson, as was the original on Sumter St in Columbia. I'm not worried though. That street has the capacity to refill those stores/restaurants easily.

• 1 month later...

I didn't hear the whole news story, so if anyone has more info, please post. Apparently some developers are building a massive development somewhere near Clemson / Lake Hartwell and they are billing it as the Moab of the south. Plans apparently include all kinds of lodging, housing, villages, shops, restaurants, etc and it apparently it will be enivronmentally friendly. Sounds huge. The Moab of the south part really caught my interest. Anyone know more?

I didn't hear the whole news story, so if anyone has more info, please post. Apparently some developers are building a massive development somewhere near Clemson / Lake Hartwell and they are billing it as the Moab of the south. Plans apparently include all kinds of lodging, housing, villages, shops, restaurants, etc and it apparently it will be enivronmentally friendly. Sounds huge. The Moab of the south part really caught my interest. Anyone know more?

MOAB meant "mother of all bombs" when I was an infantryman so i asume this means something different.

Keowee River is the name of the project, according to this article from UpstateToday.com on Thursday. The project will span over 774 acres and include lots of great amenities. The developer expects to eventually create 2,000 jobs at the center.

The focus will be on active adult lifestyles, adventure tourism and the environment.

Quick "Facts"

• Approximate cost = $200 Million
  • Timeline = up to 18-20 years
  • Groundbreaking Fall 2009
  • New YMCA
  • Affordable Homes, townhomes, villas, & cottages
  • Complete retirement community
  • Outdoor amphitheatre
  • Waterfront park & pavilion
  • Canoe & kayak center
  • Restaurants
  • "Center Falls Park"
  • Frisbee field
  • Disc golf course
  • Bocce, horseshoe & croquet areas
  • Butterfly park
  • Boutique hotel & conference center
  • Adventure center
  • Zip lines
  • Canopy tour
  • Geocaching
  • Ropes course
  • Extreme mountain bike trail
  • Rock climbing wall
  • Bouldering area
  • Tree house camping village
  • Suspension bridges
  • Trail system

Keowee River is the name of the project, according to this article from UpstateToday.com on Thursday. The project will span over 774 acres and include lots of great amenities. The developer expects to eventually create 2,000 jobs at the center.

The focus will be on active adult lifestyles, adventure tourism and the environment.

Quick "Facts"

• New YMCA
  • Outdoor amphitheatre
  • Canoe & kayak center
  • Restaurants
  • "Center Falls Park"
  • Frisbee field
  • Disc golf course
  • Butterfly park
  • Adventure center
  • Zip lines
  • Canopy tour
  • Geocaching
  • Ropes course
  • Rock climbing wall
  • Bouldering area
  • Suspension bridges
  • Trail system

Thanks for finding this. Sounds FANTASTIC! I get the Moab / Telluride comparison now, with the whole bouldering / zipline / tree house camp thing. Sounds like a winner and a definite boost for local tourism. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This thread used to be in the Anderson forum, and then in the SC forum. Generally, most memebers seem to prefer this thread in the Greenville forum, however, if y'all prefer I will gladly move it back to the SC forum. Just let me know what you want! :thumbsup:

It's good that Clemson is getting a Publix though. I've always liked that store, and I would have gone out of my way to go there when I lived in town. Its on 123, which is an interesting choice.

It's good that Clemson is getting a Publix though. I've always liked that store, and I would have gone out of my way to go there when I lived in town. Its on 123, which is an interesting choice.

The location, if access to 93 via a frontage road, would serve neighborhoods south of 123 and students without going over the bridge or a couple extra miles to the next competitor. Speaking about the access to 93, a frontage road may be in the works. The article had a breif mention of Freedom Drive being closed at 123.

For those liking facts, this will be Publix's 43rd store in South Carolina, the 2nd in Pickens County (2 in Anderson County, 10 in Greenville County, 2 in Spartanburg County), and the 16th in upstate South Carolina.

I am still a bit surprised that Clemson landed a Marriott, but I think it will do well simply because everyone visiting doesn't want to stay at one of the budget hotels currently available in the area. I look forward to seeing this one in person one day. :thumbsup:

FYI, this is a Marriott Courtyard. The signage went up within the last week.

FYI, this is a Marriott Courtyard. The signage went up within the last week.

Thanks for the clarification. I believe this is the first time anyone has called it a Marriott Courtyard on these forums. I thought a regular Marriott seemed strange for Clemson, but I was glad to see it happen. :) A Courtyard will also be great, though. :thumbsup:

The old Beezer's location in downtown is now "Clemson Kabab". They're doing swift late night business.

Additionally, Moe Joe's is vacating their small downtown store to take over the old Jittery Joe's location on Highway 93. I hate to see them leave...

In better news, the old Ben & Jerry's location is undergoing renovations. I'm not sure what's going to take its place...

The new Holiday Inn Express on 123, and the Courtyard by Marriott on 93 are both nearing completion. We should see them operating soon-ish.

----------

When you go up College Avenue toward campus, the University is constructing a sign in front of Mell Hall. The sign will say Clemson University, delineating campus from downtown. When you're sitting at the light at College Avenue and Old Greenville Hwy, it's directly in front of you...

The old Beezer's location in downtown is now "Clemson Kabab". They're doing swift late night business.

Additionally, Moe Joe's is vacating their small downtown store to take over the old Jittery Joe's location on Highway 93. I hate to see them leave...

In better news, the old Ben & Jerry's location is undergoing renovations. I'm not sure what's going to take its place...

The new Holiday Inn Express on 123, and the Courtyard by Marriott on 93 are both nearing completion. We should see them operating soon-ish.

----------

When you go up College Avenue toward campus, the University is constructing a sign in front of Mell Hall. The sign will say Clemson University, delineating campus from downtown. When you're sitting at the light at College Avenue and Old Greenville Hwy, it's directly in front of you...

What I have heard is that Moe Joe's Landlord did not give them a choice but to move. Apprently their is a national tenant coming into their old space.

What I have heard is that Moe Joe's Landlord did not give them a choice but to move. Apprently their is a national tenant coming into their old space.

Interesting! Thanks for the insight!

As for the night club by Bilo... I have a feeling it won't last long unless their concept is just that good and exciting...

Quick "Facts"

• New YMCA
  • Outdoor amphitheatre
  • Canoe & kayak center
  • Restaurants
  • "Center Falls Park"
  • Frisbee field
  • Disc golf course
  • Butterfly park
  • Adventure center
  • Zip lines
  • Canopy tour
  • Geocaching
  • Ropes course
  • Rock climbing wall
  • Bouldering area
  • Suspension bridges
  • Trail system

An article from the Greenville News with more information about this development.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20.../909110310/1003

• 5 months later...

Archived