Reflections of 2005

RemusCal

I just wanted to point out some of the major developments and events that happened this year that really has catapulted NWA to being a metropolitan area. We are on the verge of being a major market! It is truly amazing how much we have been blessed.

1. Light Rail has been introduced.

2. Millions of dollars was approved for highways, including many that need work in our area.

3. Bentonville/Fayetteville downtowns are becoming main streets.

4. Pinnacle Hills has become the premier shopping, dining, office, and living area in the region.

5. Billions of dollars are being invested in Pinnacle Hills.

6. A proposed Minor League team in Springdale.

7. Many mixed use developments planned.

8. Dozens of new schools built.

9. XNA surpasses its last years numbers again.

10. Technology companies make a landmark in Fayetteville.

11. Crystal Bridges Museum is introduced to Bentonville.

12. The Hispanic population becomes much larger.

13. Beaver Lake water becomes a problem of insufficiency for the area.

14. The highest condo towers for any building in the region becomes a reality in Eastern Rogers on Beaver Lake.

These are a few. Hope everyone had a great 2005 and has a wonderful 2006. It's going to be an even more exciting year than 05.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been an interesting year that's for certain. Although I would like to point out that the Grandview Heights are still facing opposition and everything isn't a done deal just yet. And even if the initial plan still goes forward it will still be a 15 story at first. I've also been wondering about the hispanic growth. Granted my city isn't the greatest place to get an accurate feel for that. While I'm not surprised there's still more hispanic growth I guess I didn't necessarily think that there was as much growth this year as the previous number of years. Anyone have any comments on this?

There probably won't be any condos started on Beaver Lake...it will probbaly take longer than a year to even get started...who knows how long this court battle will drag on.

Yeah I'm not sure how long all that is going to get dragged out. Even when they get the one building going who knows when they'll be able to get the others going or what's going to happen with them. If they'll be able to get the others as 25 story as originally intended or if they'll have to settle for 15 on those also.

Yeah, it's going to be a big mess. A lot of people are saying that they are building those in anticipation of the new Disney park(s) being built lol.

Yeah I don't know if I believe that. I think they had that planned out well before Disney was buying any land in the area. I just think it makes sense already. You have one of the fastest growing areas in the country and you have a nice lake not too far away with very little development on it. Seems natural to me that all the development would start happening over on the lake too.

Yes, that does seem natural...but not to stupid people like steve and judy lewis...they don't understand that a high-rise will have a lot less impact on the environment than a bunch of sprawled out houses...a lot more trees are saved by the high-rise. They are just worried about looking out and seeing the high-rise...what idiots.

Yes, that does seem natural...but not to stupid people like steve and judy lewis...they don't understand that a high-rise will have a lot less impact on the environment than a bunch of sprawled out houses...a lot more trees are saved by the high-rise. They are just worried about looking out and seeing the high-rise...what idiots.

Yeah I can't say I understand their thinking a lot either. Part of my problem is that there were plenty of other people who probably didn't want development coming up on their land either all around NWA. But you either have to deal with it or make a lot of money by selling your land and moving further away from the metro. I guess I just find it hard to believe that these people didn't realize that with all the growth going on that it wouldn't eventually head that direction. But I certainly agree with you on the impact of the development. I also would much rather see more building up than building out. They even had an official at the discussions tell the homeowners that this development would have less of an impact than putting in a huge house subdivision.

Yeah, it was ok to tear down trees and litter the landscape with their houses...but let someone want to come in and build something where a lot of people can live and enjoy the area that will save trees and the environment, and then they want to raise hell.

Yeah, it was ok to tear down trees and litter the landscape with their houses...but let someone want to come in and build something where a lot of people can live and enjoy the area that will save trees and the environment, and then they want to raise hell.

Exactly.

Would they rather see a 500 lot subdivision or a few condo towers that take up only about 20 acres.

Exactly.

Would they rather see a 500 lot subdivision or a few condo towers that take up only about 20 acres.

My only concern for building condos on Beaver Lake is:

1. Beaver Lake is a water source and not a recreational lake.

2. Beaver Lake has a natural beauty that would be forever changed by even 15 story condos.

In Dallas they built a recreational lake called Lake Ray Hubbard which also provides water to the Dallas Region. We only have Beaver Lake for our water so we shouldn't mess with it. If they want to build lakefront condos they should just build a lake.

My only concern for building condos on Beaver Lake is:

1. Beaver Lake is a water source and not a recreational lake.

2. Beaver Lake has a natural beauty that would be forever changed by even 15 story condos.

In Dallas they built a recreational lake called Lake Ray Hubbard which also provides water to the Dallas Region. We only have Beaver Lake for our water so we shouldn't mess with it. If they want to build lakefront condos they should just build a lake.

1. Beaver Lake is very much a recreational lake.

2. It was not built for a water source, it was built to produce electricity.

3. Building Condos won't harm the lake.

4. They are going to continue to build houses on the lake, so why not condos?

5. Condos take up less space and save more trees than those houses that will continue to be built.

6. The lake is near a growing metro, it will be used for recreation and housing.

7. The condos won't harm the lake.

8. They are going to have better sewer systems for those condos than the current houses do.

9. The lake should be enjoyed by all, not by just a choice few who want to live on it but don't want

anyone else living on it.

10. THE CONDOS WON'T HARM THE LAKE!

Archived