Reflections of 2005

RemusCal

They are building houses and apartments all around Lake Maumelle and the AR River...hasn't harmed the water one bit. The only issue is those people up there on Beaver Lake want to be the only ones to live on the lake...they don't want to look out and see the high-rises...what snobs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are building houses and apartments all around Lake Maumelle and the AR River...hasn't harmed the water one bit. The only issue is those people up there on Beaver Lake want to be the only ones to live on the lake...they don't want to look out and see the high-rises...what snobs.

Beaver Dam was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1944. Construction began in 1960 and was completed in 1964. The authorized purposes are: flood control, hydroelectric power, recreation, and water supply.

I agree with you that it's not right for people who live on Beaver lake to deny others the same luxury. I don't live on Beaver Lake, but I don't want to look up and see skyscrapers when I'm enjoying the beauty of Beaver Lake. But from what I understand the condos aren't going to be built near any of the recreational areas on Beaver Lake. My main concern is should we take a chance on our main supply of drinking water when tests show the water is barely drinkable? In 2004 the EPA tested Beaver Lake for bacteria and corrosives and, although the tests barely passed, the test results were not impressive in the least.

I think I'd made it clear I'm for the condos on Beaver Lake. But I will also say I see some of Masons_dad1's concerns. But I don't see the argument about the condo complex being worse on the lake than a huge housing subdivision. I guess it's just personal preference on whether you'd rather see lots of houses or a condo complex along the lake's edge. No I wouldn't want Beaver Lake to look like the NWA metro was dropped right on it and have huge developments everwhere on the lake. But I don't think it's realistic to say you can't have any developments either. The state owns a lot of land on the south side of the lake. I think we should look more into keeping some areas preserved in their more natural state but allow other areas to be developed. Beaver Lake is simply just too close to the metro to not have any developments including some large ones over on the lake. I know people who live on Beaver Lake don't want it that way but there were plenty of people who lived in what was rural Benton or Washington Counties and had developments move in on them too. I guess I just don't see how people living on Beaver Lake expect preferential treatment over people that lived in other areas that could arguably be scenic and natural as well. We're just going to have to compromise, making sure we save some of our scenic areas in NWA but realize the area also needs land to continue growing. That's also why I prefer building up so we don't end up with a sea of housing subdivisions over most of NWA. But that's just my opinion of the situation. :D

I agree, and support the condos 100%.

I still can't believe the homeowners are fighting it with an appeal, which I hope is overruled. They should be smart and sell their land to developers and make several fold what they bought their land for.

Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs is the most commercialized lake in the entire state. Development surrounds its entire shore. There are Condos, apartments, many many houses, hotels, gas stations, a mall...they are also building some mid-rise condos right on the water...my point is, none of this is hurting the water supply and no one is complaining.

Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs is the most commercialized lake in the entire state. Development surrounds its entire shore. There are Condos, apartments, many many houses, hotels, gas stations, a mall...they are also building some mid-rise condos right on the water...my point is, none of this is hurting the water supply and no one is complaining.

I wouldn't mind seeing at least part of Beaver Lake more like that. Granted Beaver Lake is a lot bigger than Lake Hamilton. They also can't built as close to Beaver Lake as they did Lake Hamilton. I think it was done before the Corps of Engineers made it to where you can't have houses and developments so close to the lake's edge. I would like to see an decent amount of Beaver Lake left in it's natural state but we need to allow some of it to be developed.

I wouldn't mind seeing at least part of Beaver Lake more like that. Granted Beaver Lake is a lot bigger than Lake Hamilton. They also can't built as close to Beaver Lake as they did Lake Hamilton. I think it was done before the Corps of Engineers made it to where you can't have houses and developments so close to the lake's edge. I would like to see an decent amount of Beaver Lake left in it's natural state but we need to allow some of it to be developed.

I think the Western Portion of Beaver Lake you should be developed with Condos, Commercial Development, etc, and the Eastern Portion be left undisturbed.

I think the Western Portion of Beaver Lake you should be developed with Condos, Commercial Development, etc, and the Eastern Portion be left undisturbed.

Yeah I'd like to see the north and west developed and leave the southern and eastern parts undeveloped. I wouldn't mind seeing the north because I wouldn't mind seeing that area grow over towards Eureka Springs.

I'm not totally against the condos... just concerned about environmental effects. I'm all for building up instead of a sprawl. Beaver Lake is not exactly round in shape so there are a lot of portions of the lake that could be developed without harming the natural beauty of the recreational areas.

I'm not totally against the condos... just concerned about environmental effects. I'm all for building up instead of a sprawl. Beaver Lake is not exactly round in shape so there are a lot of portions of the lake that could be developed without harming the natural beauty of the recreational areas.

That's also a point. These condos are on Coose Hollow. Although I admit I don't know exactly where they are it sounds like they'll be off from the main area of the lake.

That's also a point. These condos are on Coose Hollow. Although I admit I don't know exactly where they are it sounds like they'll be off from the main area of the lake.

I saw a map in the Gazette of where they're to be built and they're not anywhere near any of park areas of Beaver Lake.

Whoa. It's NOT the water supply.

If it were, that would be pretty disgusting. That water is polluted with gasoline, chemical runoff from the nearby condos, golf courses, and other junk.

That's why the Lake Maumelle thing is such a big deal....because that's the DRINKING supply. Truthfully, I sympathize with those who want to protect it from development......i don't want to consume random chemicals without knowing its effect on my health. It's an old saying, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Another thing to look at in 2005, was the fact that the NWA Metro's Home Prices were 11% higher than the national average of $180,956.

Yeah I'm really curious to see what the housing market does in 2006. I keep hearing talk of it cooling down around the nation but I get the feeling it won't here in NWA.

Archived