New Growth in Brunswick County, NC

myrtlesquare

I pulled an article from the Sun News about new growth laws in Brunswick County, NC.

Pretty much, the county could mandate that developers of new projects are required to improve roads, addd stoplights, etc. before even building. The infrastructure idea sounds great - why didn't Horry County do this? A moratorium could have been placed to halt new building before the developers could build a single house. However, this would've stunted the growth of the region...

What are your thoughts, fellow forumers?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pulled an article from the Sun News about new growth laws in Brunswick County, NC.

Pretty much, the county could mandate that developers of new projects are required to improve roads, addd stoplights, etc. before even building. The infrastructure idea sounds great - why didn't Horry County do this? A moratorium could have been placed to halt new building before the developers could build a single house. However, this would've stunted the growth of the region...

What are your thoughts, fellow forumers?

Sounds like a great idea Brunswick County intitated this.

To back up the sun news from the Brunswick Beacon, civil engineers in the area are recommending intersection improvements for US 17.

I think that in SC, and probably other states, developers are required to pay for infrastructure additions or enhancements as well. I am certain that they are required to put some money up for it so that if their project fails for some reason, the local government won't be screwed for the bill.

Horry County didn't do this because they are owned by Burroughs and Chapin. That is a company that excels at getting government to pay for infrastructure to improve their bottom line. I have no idea why the local population doesn't vote out the city and county councils that constantly make bad decisions for Horry.

Archived