A new tourist attraction for Columbia

krazeeboi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see the two quarries (one in Olympia and the other directly across the Congaree River in Cayce) closed, cleaned up and converted to an amusement park with a tunnel under the river connecting the bottoms of each.

Just think of the possibilities of having an amusement park both on the rims and bottoms of such deep holes. It could be more interesting than Disney, Paramount, and Six Flags combined. I would be willing to bet we'd get a lot of people to come see it just out of curiosity if nothing else.

The holes could be domed. Much of the rest of the park could be covered with a combination of glass roofs of the domed and quansit varieties. It could be opened all year long. The dusty, dirty old quarries would be extinct and the neighborhoods cleaned up. What a win, win, win situation!

.............................................................................. ;)

I would like to see the two quarries (one in Olympia and the other directly across the Congaree River in Cayce) closed, cleaned up and converted to an amusement park with a tunnel under the river connecting the bottoms of each.

Just think of the possibilities of having an amusement park both on the rims and bottoms of such deep holes. It could be more interesting than Disney, Paramount, and Six Flags combined. I would be willing to bet we'd get a lot of people to come see it just out of curiosity if nothing else.

The holes could be domed. Much of the rest of the park could be covered with a combination of glass roofs of the domed and quansit varieties. It could be opened all year long. The dusty, dirty old quarries would be extinct and the neighborhoods cleaned up. What a win, win, win situation!

.............................................................................. ;)

Hey...they could be turned into one of those massive snow domes where people can ski all year round!

I'd like to see some avant-garde pedestrian bridge of futuristic architecture crisscrossing the area where Saluda and Broad rivers meet. It's a spectacular landscape with all the boulders and the wildlife, and it's hard to get good views of it. It would be something that locals could benefit from for exercise, and something turists would come to see and take pictures of. AND it would be something unique to this place as opposed to just creating a commercial attraction.

Why not make a competition for architecture students, professional architects, and amateurs, have some monetary award for creative ideas for such a structure and/or for ideas about creating a turist attraction...

(BTW, what turist attractions does Cola already have? I haven't lived here long, but I recently had visitors from out of town and I didn't know what to show them...) By all means, keep the ideas flowing.

I'd like to see some avant-garde pedestrian bridge of futuristic architecture crisscrossing the area where Saluda and Broad rivers meet. It's a spectacular landscape with all the boulders and the wildlife, and it's hard to get good views of it. It would be something that locals could benefit from for exercise, and something turists would come to see and take pictures of. AND it would be something unique to this place as opposed to just creating a commercial attraction.

Why not make a competition for architecture students, professional architects, and amateurs, have some monetary award for creative ideas for such a structure and/or for ideas about creating a turist attraction...

(BTW, what turist attractions does Cola already have? I haven't lived here long, but I recently had visitors from out of town and I didn't know what to show them...) By all means, keep the ideas flowing.

Museums: The Columbia Art Museum, Edventure Children's Museum, the State Museum, the State House, the Hampton-Preston Mansion, the Robert Mills House, Woodrow Wilson's Boyhood Home, the Seibels House, the Lexington County Museum, Fort Jackson Museum

Zoo: Riverbanks Zoo and Garden (also an aquarium)

Others: Lake Murray, Ice Skating, Roller Skating, Five Points, The Vista, Riverfront Park, Finlay Park, USC Horseshoe, Granby Park, Earlewood Park, Sesquicentennial State Park, Congaree National Park, Dreher Island State Park, Camden Revolutionary War Park, Peachtree Rock (rock outcropping, waterfall and natural flora from the desert, mountains and the beach), Columbia Marionette Theatre, Trustus Theatre (only professional theatre in the Carolinas), Workshop Theatre, Town Theatre (oldest operating community theatre in the U.S.), Longstreet Theatre, the Nickelodeon

I have often wondered why columbia doesn't already have a waterpark. Honestly, I think a park like this one, http://www.samsfuncity.com/, in Pensacola Fl would be great. Pensacola is a smaller city than Columbia, but supports the park with no problem. And yes, Columbia is much much warmer!

Columbia warmer than Pensacola? I think not.

Columbia: July average high 92, average low 72 (average 82)

January average high 55 average low 34 (average 44.5)

October average high 76, average low 52 (average 64)

Pensacola: July average high 91, average low 75 (average 83)

January average high 61, average low 43 (average 52)

October average high 79, avg low 60 (average 69.5)

I have often wondered why columbia doesn't already have a waterpark. Honestly, I think a park like this one, http://www.samsfuncity.com/, in Pensacola Fl would be great. Pensacola is a smaller city than Columbia, but supports the park with no problem. And yes, Columbia is much much warmer!

Looks like a glorified Frankie's. ;)

It's an installation sculpture in the Vista, off Gervais on Pulaski. Behind the bank (First Citizens?) near the corner of Gervais and Huger.

It's a giggler.

I didn't realize that is by Blue Sky, but I guess I should have expected as much :)

Its actually on Senate St near the Vista Commons at Pulaski St if memory serves.

Archived