A new tourist attraction for Columbia

krazeeboi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hum? a new attraction for columbia. I Talked to the mayor about having a Man made beach just outside of columbia near that huge field and forest on 77 near the richland lexington line. It would be 2 miles long and 1 mile wide and have retail hotels houses and boats and stuff. that mayor told me that he knows someone that would sell that land to make the beach if someone invest money into it. This idea would bring billions to the city in a few years. think about it you dont have to drive over 2 hours to get to myrtle beach when you can drive 15-25 mintues to get to a beach here in columbia or near columbia.

great idea or what.

How about a Palmetto Tree :rolleyes: the size of the Eiffel Tower! :camera:

That would look cool in columbia but not in downtown maybe near the riverfront on broad river

Hum? a new attraction for columbia. I Talked to the mayor about having a Man made beach just outside of columbia near that huge field and forest on 77 near the richland lexington line. It would be 2 miles long and 1 mile wide and have retail hotels houses and boats and stuff. that mayor told me that he knows someone that would sell that land to make the beach if someone invest money into it. This idea would bring billions to the city in a few years. think about it you dont have to drive over 2 hours to get to myrtle beach when you can drive 15-25 mintues to get to a beach here in columbia or near columbia.

great idea or what.

That would look cool in columbia but not in downtown maybe near the riverfront on broad river

Lake Murray pretty much has that already by the dam - minus the retail.

Lake Murray pretty much has that already by the dam - minus the retail.

Yeah i know but im talking about new land thats not in use near 77 then retail can grow out there. Its a 5 year plan i been thinking of for 2 years now. if this works it should create thousand and thousands of jobs in the columbia area in construction and then thousands more in running the hotels and maintaining the beach front.

We did discuss the concept of an "urban beach" here one time before, utilizing the old mine quarries in Olympia. That's the only place I could see something like that possibly working.

If not that, then go for a big water park. Columbia could use one of those.

We did discuss the concept of an "urban beach" here one time before, utilizing the old mine quarries in Olympia. That's the only place I could see something like that possibly working.

If not that, then go for a big water park. Columbia could use one of those.

Coolt is a good idea. but i think with retail it would be a great attraction to our city. hotels and homes would really fit it. a way to live @ a beach without traveling too far away.

What ever happened with that water park in St Andrews that they were talking about a few years back?

I believe the hype was overdone years back. From what I understand, it's the extremely small water features at Saluda Shoals Park there on Old Bush River road. It's fun for the kids but hardly a water park.

Fort Jackson has a small water park. Just have to drive to Charlotte if you want good sized one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

What will it take to make the Midlands a tourist magnet?

Perhaps a world-class piece of architecture along the Congaree River at the Olympia quarry with marinas, stores, restaurants and condos.

It could be cruises from Columbia to Charleston along the lakes and rivers leading to the Lowcountry.

How about a corridor promoting African-American heritage that includes a stop at Eartha Kitt's birthplace in Orangeburg County, or one for horse lovers that goes past Camden's new South Carolina Equine Park.

These were some of the results of a 15-month study conducted for the state Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism by Irish consulting firm Tourism Development International and released Wednesday.

http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/975150.html

As it regards the above article, I think the number one thing that should be on the agenda as far as boosting tourism in the Midlands is expanding the convention center. Columbia needs to better capitalize on having the state's only downtown convention center. Secondly, as hot as Columbia gets during the summer, luring a big water park to the area should be a no-brainer. Thirdly, I'm wondering if the Kline site might actually be better suited to building an aquarium or natural history museum and having that general area designated the city's museum district?

As it regards the above article, I think the number one thing that should be on the agenda as far as boosting tourism in the Midlands is expanding the convention center. Columbia needs to better capitalize on having the state's only downtown convention center. Secondly, as hot as Columbia gets during the summer, luring a big water park to the area should be a no-brainer. Thirdly, I'm wondering if the Kline site might actually be better suited to building an aquarium or natural history museum and having that general area designated the city's museum district?

It would be a cool site for an aquarium.

• 9 months later...

I mentioned a large water park earlier in this thread. As "famously hot" as Columbia gets this time of year, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Yeah! I read that earlier in the tread. I have some ideas myself for the the water park and tourism but most of what i have ideas on have to do with the general look of the city.

Archived