Memphis Image Problems

cdarr

Memphis Image Problems  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which factor hurts the statewide/national perception of Memphis the most?

• Crime Rate
    • History of Racial Tensions
    • Large Black Population (people not liking Memphis because of its racial makeup)
    • Skyline/Lack of Skyscrapers
    • Topography/Flat Terrain
    • Blighted Areas
    • Slower Pace
    • Political Figures/Corruption
    • Poor City Schools
    • Other
  2. 2. What single thing do you think would improve Memphis' image the most?

• Violent crime rate reduced by 50%
    • Herenton replaced as city major
    • Ford political machine dismantled
    • New 700 foot skyscraper downtown
    • Major auto plant built
    • City and county goverments merge
    • Grizzlies win NBA title
    • UofM Tigers win the Final Four
    • Nothing
    • Other

I live in Minnesota, and most people view Memphis in a positive light, as someplace exotic.

Fearless--Memphis currently has a vibrant rap scene, as well as a film scene. The best song winner at the Oscars was by a Memphis group, 3 Six Mafia.

I think you'll like Memphis, particularly if you choose to live downtown, where you could get a really nice 1 bedroom for $750.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis has image problems due mainly to it's history of racism, extreme levels of poverty, crime and one of the worst school systems in the nation. Our politicians are short-sighted and selfish.

On the flip side, it's a beautiful, kind (unless you are driving) and growing city. We are starting to pay attention to the inner city issues. Not-for-profits and inner-city ministries (Streets and Neighborhood Christian Center to name a couple) are working hard to improve the lives and environment of inner city families. We have an excellent head of our City schools who is making a difference. Our downtown is a great place to visit and live. We are attracting a very diverse group of people who are tired of larger cities and appreciate the benefits of Memphis (cost of living, pace of life, unique atmosphere). Our current music scene is diverse and recognized and we aren't just living off history. It may seem underground but it's here. Many great artists record here (Elvis Costello, The White Stripes, Wilco, etc) and play locally.

It has taken me 2 years to see more good than bad in Memphis.

Fearless, thanks for your perspective on Memphis' image from afar. It is encourging hear an east/west coast perception of Memphis that is relatively positive. As I speculated, Memphis may have a bigger image problem in the south than it does nationally.

Once you get here and get settled in, be sure to stay on the board and tell us what you think of things.

I can give an outside view from the East Coast as well. I can tell you that many people that I know in the DC area love to visit Memphis and come back often. Some of my neighbors come down every year for the Memphis in May Music Festival. People have a very favorable view of the city here. I can't tell you how many say they have to get down to Memphis or get back to Memphis again. Memphians are more down on Memphis than those outside of the city. From my perspective, Memphis continues to be two cities of about 600 each sitting side by side. When those two cities have been able to work together great things have always emerged. The problem is that as often as not, they are at opposite poles.

Although I don't reside in Memphis, I like the city. It has a unique feel to it, you get some of the best views of the river approaching downtown. I think Memphis has a pretty good image, considering 3-6 Mafia represents Memphis well in their songs.

It's unbelievable how much Memphians dog their own city. Ebony Gardens is one of literally thousands that like this town. If you want to know what people think of Memphis, and especially its image, I recommend going to Walgreens on Madison and Main and talking to the clientele for an hour on a Saturday. You will not be able to speak some visitors' languages because, believe it or not, Memphis draws an enormous international crowd. The people who truly love this city live within the city proper or are from out of town. It's so sad to hear Colliervillians, Cordovans, Germantownians, and DeSotans rail on this place. IMO leave the outliers where they are. Memphis is rising and it has something that no other comparable southern city has: livable urban area with truly caring residents. That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it.

I've heard some speculation, and this is no doubt crass and insensitive, that in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Memphis is a logical place to look for the "next" New Orleans. I mention this not to endorse it, especially since it's terribly dismissive of the future possibilies of New Orleans itself, but only to observe that it actually bespeaks a fairly positive image for Memphis that people would look to it as carrying on the torch that New Orleans once carried (and will hopefully carry again!)

I really didn't know that Memphis had such "image problems" until I got on the net and started looking up random memphis discussions. From my friends, it just seemed like a mythical place with a vibrant (and often sad) history. But then I started reading ranom commentary on memphis online and realized that a startling number of people associate it almost exclusively with racial strife and violent crime. I've said this before but I was really excited to find this forum to get a different, more positive take on the city from native memphians themselves!

Cheers,

S

Well, I lived in New Orleans for 25 years, and its culture isn't something that can be transported to another city.

As far as Memphis' racial strife--unlike many southern cities, Memphis integrated peacefully in the late 50's and early 60's. There were no bombings, police beatings, or so on. It wasn't until 1968 when Dr. King was in Memphis to lead a labor strike--supported btw by much of the white Memphis clergy--and got assassinated by a man from St. Louis that the city got a bad rap.

I've lived in Houston, New Orleans, Nashville, am very familiar with Chicago, was born and raised in Memphis, and now live in a small town in Minnesota (teach at a small college btw), and don't think racial relations in Memphis are any worse than anywhere else--maybe better than some places--which is not to say they're great. It's national, not Memphis.

One thing that white southerners and black southerners have in common is a shared culture--in language, food, and music.

As far as Memphis' racial strife--unlike many southern cities, Memphis integrated peacefully in the late 50's and early 60's. There were no bombings, police beatings, or so on. It wasn't until 1968 when Dr. King was in Memphis to lead a labor strike--supported btw by much of the white Memphis clergy--and got assassinated by a man from St. Louis that the city got a bad rap.

Sleepy, I'm glad to hear somebody else mention that. The only significant race riot in Memphis (not counting some in the late 1800s) was in the aftermath of the King assasination, but there were riots going in virtually every city that night. Otherwise, Memphis remained relatively peaceful throughout the 60s and 70s. There was probably worse disorder in the city during the 1978 police/firefighters strike that during any racial disturbance.

William Ingram was mayor of Memphis during the heart of the civil rights movement (63-67) and was very popular among both blacks and whites. Memphis was considered something of a model for government relations with black community leaders. Ingram would have easily won re-election in 1967, but declined to run due to health concerns. He was succeeded by Henry Loeb, who played hardball with the sanitation workers and let things spiral out of control to the point that Dr. King came to intervene and, of course, was killed here. Ironically, Ingram lived another 25 years. How different things might have been had he continued to serve as mayor.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Memphis very much. Most of the "image problems" come from within. It's like Memphians are ashamed of themselves, in a way. I attended UT-Knoxville, and my graphic design thesis was on this very topic.

I don't believe Memphis is different from any other city as far as race relations. Things may be a little strained because of King's death, but it isn't hopeless. Memphis is divided by religion - plain and simple. There is so much tradition here because of religion. It is a bondage that is already been broken, but, people must be willing to step outside their comfort zones. I despise seeing congregations divided by race or "denomination" or "demon-nation" :lol: It's stupid.

The resurgence of downtown Memphis is extraordinary. It will create a more "cosmopolitan" atmosphere that is needed here - to accept other cultures and races. Memphis is my home, and no matter how bad it seems, I believe Memphis is a better city than it was in the '60's, and it will continue to improve. :)

I believe Memphis is a better city than it was in the '60's, and it will continue to improve. :)

I agree with you. People who say Memphis is going down the sewer fail to consider where this city was from, say, 1968 through the early '80s. Memphis got awfully bad press from the King assasination - NBC's Roger Mudd and Time Magazine in particular derided Memphis as a seedy, backwater river town. The Peabody closed and was boarded up. Most of the old high rises were vacated and turned over to pigeons. Industry was closing down (remember Harvester and Firestone?). Then there were the simultaneous strikes of both the police AND fire departments in 1978, when the National Guard had to be called in. Instead of coming up with slogans to attract tourists and new industy to the city, the Chamber of Commerce had to shore up local morale with a "Believe In Memphis" campaign. It's sad to think about those days. I'm glad I was only a child then.

Archived