IN-PROGRESS: Brown Life Sciences Building

There wasn't a thread for this project, so I'm creating this one to highlight markOne's photos.

Someone asked for some pics of the Brown Life Sciences Building. I went by on a very weird foggy night and took a few and then went back and took some quick ones in the daylight. Fogg, street lights and 25 sec exposures do some weird things.

Please move these to a different thread if one exists for that building project. I couldn't find it if it exists.

foggyAlongSouthSide.png

foggyCarPass.png

foggyFromThayer.png

fromThayerAndMeeting.png

Tried to capture some sense of scale but you can't even see most of the construction. This will be a big building.

lookingDownMeetingSt.png

"Old" meets new reflecting old.

oldAndNewSides.png

East end of the new construction where it joins the old

sideReflections.png

I believe "The Walk" will be going throught here.

whereTheWalkGoes.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, looks like the College Hill Neighborhood Assoc let another one slip threw their fingers. :D Boy, were they against this building, along with so many others projects. And what an impressive price tag, $ 95 mil. Parking not included! :angry: What got me about this project though was the fact that projo printed several stories about all the opposition towards this building, but I can't recall ever reading a story that it was approved by the city. If it wasen't for ArtInRuins & this forum I wouldn't have known. There may not be a previous thread for this project, but I know it's been discussed in this forum before. ;)

Well, looks like the College Hill Neighborhood Assoc let another one slip threw their fingers. :D Boy, were they against this building, along with so many others projects. And what an impressive price tag, $ 95 mil. Parking not included! :angry: What got me about this project though was the fact that projo printed several stories about all the opposition towards this building, but I can't recall ever reading a story that it was approved by the city. If it wasen't for ArtInRuins & this forum I wouldn't have known. There may not be a previous thread for this project, but I know it's been discussed in this forum before. ;)

I was amazed that the city allowed it. I really hate this building. Its just WAY too big for where it is. I'm all about big urban buildings, but something like this belongs downtown, not looming over Thayer St.

I have no problem with the bldg in and of itself but agree that it's way out of scale for the area. The bldg does loom over Thayer St, no doubt about it. Maybe we'll get used to it.

However, Brown is on a campaign to bolster its research programs especially in biomed and I can see that they need a facility like this to accomplish their aims. They also need to consider physical proximity to their other buildings as students and faculty have to get from one to another in short periods of time when they go from one class to another. Brown's campaign is definitely valuable to Providence economically. Think of the potential for spin-off firms like you see in Cambridge with Harvard and MIT.

That said, it's pretty clear that they aren't going to be able to do anything like this on College Hill in terms of scale, which is why they're branching out like with the Speidel Bldg in the Jewelry District for molecular research and the Old Stone bldg on South Main, which will eventually house administrative offices.

I was amazed that the city allowed it. I really hate this building. Its just WAY too big for where it is. I'm all about big urban buildings, but something like this belongs downtown, not looming over Thayer St.

• 1 month later...

The tarps have come off the LiSci building and you can see the brickwork and fenestration. I think it's quite attractive despite the bulk. On the negative side, the whole area behind the Avon on Meeting St. looks like crap with the shabbylooking and totally dwarfed Via Pizza surrounded by surface parking lots. I heard the owner refused to sell to Brown.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived