West End Summit update

william

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is Bob Clement going to get us the federal courthouse?

The real mystery is how Bill Frist can be Majority Leader of the United States Senate, but is apparenty unable to bring home "the bacon" for his own home town by getting money earmarked for a (needed) new federal courthouse here. How ineffective can he possibly be! LBJ got a Space Center for Houston; Byrd's not even in the majority party and every hick town in West Virginia has a costly federal facility, but the Majority Leader of the US Senate can't get a courthouse built in his hometown?

I don't think much of Frist or his politics, but politics aside--he is just plain ineffective! Maybe he needs to stop running for President and get this done.

So it is not the nod to the auto that you question with the WES but the scale? West End is not d'town. And as stated Nashville is not NYC. My point was that in my judgement the new WES design is an improvement, though imperfect. By your standard I would venture there are very few non CBD buildings which you hold in high regard.

you guys were discussing the motor court as if we're looking at final renderings for the project. is that the case? i just wondered because the ones available are kinda old and could have changed it seems.

barakat

Cdub initially was refrencing the old renderings (currently on the billboard and I think linked at one of the other building sites) I sent him a link to the latest renderings on the A Palmer site. I agree with you that the new design is much better but he was unimpressed with the changes.

barakat

Cdub initially was refrencing the old renderings (currently on the billboard and I think linked at one of the other building sites) I sent him a link to the latest renderings on the A Palmer site. I agree with you that the new design is much better but he was unimpressed with the changes.

Gotcha. Even the newest renderings could have changed by now. Guess we'll see soon, eh?

It's really nice to finally see this in print. In the long run, I think we'll be glad Alex hung on for such a high-profile hotel operator. And IC is providing "key money" to help finance the construction? Take THAT, Peabody.

I just can't help but think about all these cranes around town and what that will say to visitors and locals alike about our burgeoning central city. These should make for an exciting metallic enhance skyline of Nashville's future.

WestEndSummitnew.jpg

Mark my words: Soon a developer will come along and build something more suitable for the triangular lot across from WES.

I've always envisioned something exceptional for that fork in the road.

What do you think of a flatiron boutique hotel with a grand entrance at 17th Ave. and a restaurant (complete with outdoor seating) on the forkside? It may be a bit noisy, but that's "life in the city", right? Wouldn't that be nice?

Wow, great news!!

Thanks to DesignerBee and others for keeping us in the 'loop' over the last year, your information was flawless. The IC will add some pizzaz yo West End and hopefully spur some additional development on the old Fuddruckers site and the aforementioned 'triangle'.

Great news for Nashville!!

Wow!!

Very nice!! I really like these buildings!!! Hope the glass will be this silver/metalic looking in real life... they look AWESOME in the rendering!!! It almost looks like water draping down the side of the building. And I am guessing that the detail running up the front of the taller tower, and on to the top (with a similar one on the top of the shorter tower), will be transparent lighted glass, to give it that shiny, crystal-like quality(as it does in the rendering)!! To, to cool!! If it comes even close to looking like this... it will be awesome (and this coming from someone who isn't very into all glass buildings...). The architect on this one really went above and beyond... I'm loving it!!! It's modern and yet elegant, and has a sort of timeless feel to it... I think we'll still love it 50 years down the road!! Way to go Nashville!

The building on the left got taller. The original renderings where for an 25 and a 15 story towers, These renderings call for an 25 and 23 story towers

I'm pretty sure the 25 story building will be the shorter of the two, the one housing the Intercontinental Hotel and condos. I'm sure it got taller because of the current "hot" condo market and the significant hotel operation that is planned by Intercontinental. The taller of the two would be the 23 story office component. I'm confident Palmer will land that anchor tenant he wants for that building. Obviously, so does Intercontinental, or they wouldn't be providing "key money" for the project. As for the heights of the two buildings, I'd like to ask Designer Bee to give us that info in this thread. Still, I'll give you my best guess. For the 25 story hotel-condo tower, I'd guess 25 floors at 11 to 12 feet per floor plus a 30 ft crown...that adds up to 305 to 330 ft. For the 23 story Office tower, I'd guess 23 floors at 13 to 14 feet per floor plus a 50 foot crown...that adds up to 349 to 372 feet.

Ohhhhh, this is so exciting!!!!! :yahoo: To think they expect to start in only two months, much sooner than I had hoped. Let's the crane(s) rise. There will be at least two on this project.

As for a flatiron building accross the street. That's always been a dream of mine. Please, please.....somebody build it. ;)

Finally! This is really great news. So many thought West End Summit would never happen. Now, it's new, improved, bigger, and about to start rising. This is going to make such a dramatic change in West End and for views of the city as a whole.

Hankster, the article said the hotel and condo would occupy the 23 story building. It didn't say that specifically, but it did say the hotel would occupy the first 14 floors of the shorter building with the top nine used as condos. I'm not a mathemitician but 14+9=um, hmm, carry the 1, denominator, oh crap start over ... 23! So, care to revise your estimates on building heights?

I can't wait to see some higher res images up on the palmer website or someplace so the architectural debate can begin in earnest (collective groans from the less critically inclined).

Great news!!!!

The doorman called me about 7:30 this morning and told me. I was going to post it, but you guys are great and on the ball. I felt that the work they were doing around the WES was to shut all the old water, gas and electric lines off to that block. I am glad to see this baby get out of the ground. It will be amazing to see cranes for the WES, ICON, Croslands Terrazzo and the other 16 story tower, Adelicia, The West End, Encore, Suntrust, and very possibly the Signature, not to mention the Stadium and Rolling Mill Hill. The new bird of Nashville will be the crane.

Hankster, the article said the hotel and condo would occupy the 23 story building. It didn't say that specifically, but it did say the hotel would occupy the first 14 floors of the shorter building with the top nine used as condos. I'm not a mathemitician but 14+9=um, hmm, carry the 1, denominator, oh crap start over ... 23! So, care to revise your estimates on building heights?

I can't wait to see some higher res images up on the palmer website or someplace so the architectural debate can begin in earnest (collective groans from the less critically inclined).

I think the spa and health club occupy the two stories that are between the hotel and the condos. I believe there will be a 14 story hotel, followed by a 2 story spa and health club, topped by a nine story condo....total 25 stories. I count exactly 23 floors on the office tower rendering. Of course, if I'm wrong, it won't be the first time.

Archived