West End Summit update

william

As far as I know, it does not include Salathai or the other rest. behind it. This project needs a major overhaul and some foresight. This is much to valuable and high profile to be waisted on a 2 story building.

Too bad LRK's Loews Vandy "Plaza" presents a bomb-shelter face to the Fuddrucker's corner in question. Whatever is built there (hopefully no more than six stories, eight TOPS), it will have to pretend that mute brute of a building doesn't even exist.

Sitar is one of the best restaurants in all of Middle Tennessee, so I would personally love to see something totally rad adjacent to it. I hope to God that the Salathai site is NOT included, so that we can actually have more than one nice building on the block. I know how much everyone here loves mega-projects with epic footprints, but there is a place for fine-grained urban fabric, too.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I wonder if the Tennesean guy will redo his article on office space for DT versus Cool Springs. WES and Suntrust alone trump ALL development in Cool Springs - times 2. Seems with half of the Primus bldg up for lease, there is soon to be a glut of office space - in Cool Springs!!

Since we were talking about a flat iron building for the lot across the street...

nashvilleflatiron3.jpg

It should of course be taller, but the angle made it tough to show the tapering at the front. Don't make fun of my art/architecture skills.

Thanks Nashvillain for illustrating this vision that many of us have. Seeing it is confirmation to me that the addition of a flatiron building there will make the area a focal point of activity in Nashville. Somebody, please build that building!

No, but I would think that was the deal maker. A poster from Atlanta (DesignerBee) works for the design firm that works on many Intercontinental Hotels and he has said that the IC deal has been completed for some time. So (if true) the only reasons to delay the announcement is waiting for BBS to finalize.

Then again IC may have agreed to advance more funds to A Palmer that allowed him to build spec. just to get the project moving.

I wonder if Alex palmer got his inspiration for the West End Summit from the Pier 1 Place project in Fort Worth, Texas. Here's link to a picture of that project on the Emporis site. If Alex's Towers look this good, we're going to love this project.

Pier 1 Place, Fort Worth, Texas

Very likely. The architect attributed to the original WES design is Duda/Paine who was the architect on the Pier 1 Place in Fort Worth.

Coincidence? I think not! :shades:

Since we were talking about a flat iron building for the lot across the street...

nashvilleflatiron3.jpg

It should of course be taller, but the angle made it tough to show the tapering at the front. Don't make fun of my art/architecture skills.

Hey, I found this lovely little "flatiron" in Boston (the Winthrop Building) on Emporis http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=194647 and it greatly reminded me of your idea. The topography is different, of course, but this one could easily be modified for that plot on Broadway.

I just noticed that Pier One was completed in 2004. I must admit to being very unfamiliar with developments in Ft. Worth but is definitely a beautiful building. Check out how it's lit up at night and imagine how great the crown on the WES towers will look all lit up at night.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=317342

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=319872

No, but I would think that was the deal maker. A poster from Atlanta (DesignerBee) works for the design firm that works on many Intercontinental Hotels and he has said that the IC deal has been completed for some time. So (if true) the only reasons to delay the announcement is waiting for BBS to finalize.

Then again IC may have agreed to advance more funds to A Palmer that allowed him to build spec. just to get the project moving.

Wow guys.. I missed alot!!!

I believe the announcement has been on hold pending the securing of an office tenant. Intercon has been in our office a few times so its a go as far as I'm aware.

We've been hard at work on the planning of the first floor and second ballroom/ meeting level so they can present this to an office tenant. The two buildings are connected at ground level and they're trying to get some retail/ starbucks to connect the two.

Palmer is having our plans printed tomorrow and presented on Monday I believe.

The shape of the tower changed slightly only a few days ago so all the planning we did for the guestrooms/condos has to be modified. AHH!

I've been working on getting drawings together for our renderers so we can get some great computer renderings of the public spaces and typical guestrooms!

Unfortunately I have some bad news for you posters - I'm transferring to our office in Los Angeles at the end of May so I will no longer be working on WES. I am very excited about this project as I have had a heavy influence in the design so I will do my best to stay up to date and in touch with my team members and keep you updated.

DesignerBee

As always thanks for the update.

Sorry to have you move on but it sounds like bigger and better. Just make sure you get a huge raise to move to La La Land. :)

Has anybody noticed the "Welcome Intercontinental" sign pasted over the WES sign on West End? Pretty exciting -- I just saw it last night.

David

I saw it today. I was going to see if anyone has posted about that yet. I thought that was interesting that they covered up the old rendering with that sign.

After a few days, I pulled up the WES rendering again to take a fresh look at it. WIth a bit more time to study the pic, I decided that I really do like this project. As such, I think it will make quite a statement at that hill/summit on West End. Not a big fan of spires on buildings, I like the crown on this one. I'll bet it will look quite nice on a clear night with the right lighting effects on top of both buildings. Can't wait to get up there to see this one u/c... and obviously even more eager to see it finished.

So Indigo will go across the street right? Does Palmer have any skin in that one? As it is an Intercon brand, how do their respective segments align with each other?

Intercontinental is their luxury brand (competes with Conrad, Four Seasons) while Indigo is their boutique brand. Indigo's segment is a hybrid between something like a nice Hampton Inn and a Hotel Monaco. Not quite luxury but not cookie cutter.

Archived