West End Summit update

william

Wachovia is in Nashville with the purchase of SouthTrust (I was mistaken when I said First Union)

Wachovia buys SouthTrust Bank

By M.B. Owens, [email protected]

June 22, 2004

In the fifth purchase or merger of banks with local branches this year, "Wachovia Corp. is acquiring SouthTrust Corp. for $14.3 billion.

Birmingham-based SouthTrust has eight branches in Nashville, Brentwood, Cool Springs and Hermitage and holds roughly 4 percent of the market share of Middle Tennessee deposits. The No. 4 U.S. bank Wachovia, headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., currently has no branches in Tennessee, despite an earlier presence as First Union Corp."

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I must say that even the idea of Nashville landing an Intercontinental Hotel is very exciting. Although the Hermitage Hotel is rated 5 Diamonds, the IC name certainly does have quite a bit of cache attached to it. So lets see... Intercontinental has hotels isn: Chicago, Miami (2), New York, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Cleveland (2) and many more cities. This is cool news!

If you look at the AS Palmer site there is a rendering of the exterior. For the most part, its staying the same. It is set back from the street and the entrance to the hotel is set back even further to allow for valet/drop off and a water feature. It looks to me by the rendering that there will be trees and other plantings too.

Which of the two buildings depicted on the site are you designing? From the description you've given, I'm assuming that you're designing the shorter of the two on the left. Am I correct? You can reference the picture of the project on the link below.

Alex S. Palmer West End Summit

Which of the two buildings depicted on the site are you designing? From the description you've given, I'm assuming that you're designing the shorter of the two on the left. Am I correct? You can reference the picture of the project on the link below.

Alex S. Palmer West End Summit

The one on the left is the hotel/condo tower and one on the right is the office tower. The open area about 2/3 of the way up is the pool/ spa level. We're doing the hotel tower.

I think its 22 stories and has 2-3 levels of parking beneath.

nashville bound - I believe the interior designer that did the IC Boston is from the firm that is doing the architecture for the WES.

^^^ I completely agree Lexy. It will be such a statement for west end/midtown (i never know what to call that area) to have such a modern and unique looking tower at that intersection.

I just can't wait to see what this tower will do for that area. It has so much potential and right now its just swallowed up by car dealerships. Having more condos + businesses so close to the bristol on broadway will be really exciting

Not to mention how it will extend the skyline southwestward. I noticed this after looking at Lexy's pics from Love Circle. It shows the cluster downtown and the developing one at Vandy. Then when you try to imagine the addition of Encore, Terrazzo, Icon, Adelicia (maybe 2!!), and now WES, there is a loooooong chain of buildings across that vista. It'll be the best view of Nashvlle's DT IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you all know, WES is not dead AT ALL! We got a call from Alex last Thursday that he wants boards from us NOW so he can show them to possible major office tenants for the office tower next to the hotel.

We got the presentation boards done today and had them shipped out this evening. I hope he likes what we came up with!

Comtemporary with a little Nashville twist!

I really want to see WES get done, it will IMO do alot to connect the urban fabric of downtown with West End. Its such an awesome project too, that it would be a shame not to see those two towers get built in some form or fashion.

Despite my misgivings on some of the proposed tall projects, I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. I think this project will be an important link between Downtown and Midtown and a strong anchor for the terminus of West End.

I am not concerned with the many 'tower' projects that are in development or have been proposed. There are two factors here that lead me to believe that a 'glut' is not a major concern. The first is the demand seems to be strong as evidenced by new announcements and the second is that the vast majority are being financed by conservative banks that require proportional pre-sale requirements. When the dust clears there may be one or two projects that have a hard time selling-out but d'town and mid-town will be much better off with all th enew residents.

Amen. When this is built it will transform the immediate area, and hopefully spawn other projects nearby.

I really want to see WES get done, it will IMO do alot to connect the urban fabric of downtown with West End. Its such an awesome project too, that it would be a shame not to see those two towers get built in some form or fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove by there yesterday and there were 3 pieces of earth moving equipment at the site and several new piles of gravel. Looks as if they were digging at the site and were also some huge metal panals covering holes. I spoke to William and he will see if anything is up with a call to the Palmer office Monday.

Just wanted to let you guys know I spoke to William. He called the Palmer office and was told there was some site preparation work going on and an announcement would be forthcoming soon. We have no idea what the project will look like or if there will be one or two towers. All we can do at this moment is just wait and see. It seems we have a lot of waiting to do right now waiting on this project and what it will look like and waiting for the final Signature design. That's not to even mention what the Stadium is going to look like. All we can do is hope for the best.

Just wanted to let you guys know I spoke to William. He called the Palmer office and was told there was some site preparation work going on and an announcement would be forthcoming soon. We have no idea what the project will look like or if there will be one or two towers. All we can do at this moment is just wait and see. It seems we have a lot of waiting to do right now waiting on this project and what it will look like and waiting for the final Signature design. That's not to even mention what the Stadium is going to look like. All we can do is hope for the best.

But I don't want to wait! :angry: I need an emoticon that is a brat throwing a tantrum.

Archived