Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot S2 IS, so now I am able to post my own pictures. :D

I am still getting used and aquainted to the camera, so my pictures for the first few days or weeks proably wont be top notch. Most of my pictures in the first few days will also most likely be rural, rather than urban pictures. Until I can get into Covington, Baton Rouge, or New Orleans on a photo trip. :D

Everyone is welcome to post their favorite pictures from Louisiana!

Here is the first photo of the day. I was experimenting with scenes and color options on my camera, but I think the picture came out well.:thumbsup:

Flower.jpg

Edited by NCB

Picture of the Day: December 29,2005

Highway 51 and downtown

Independence,LA

Independence.jpg

To the left, behind the small trees, are the railroad tracks that run from somwhere far up north(I need to find out where!), down into New Orleans. In the 1800's, these tracks were very busy, and are the main reason that Covington was formed.

BTW, I hope TJ doesn't mind that I stole his picture of the day format! :D

Edited by NCB

Yeah you were the one who started that over in the Arkansas forum as well. Never thought where you might have gotten the idea. I think it's sorta nice for different forums to pick up ideas from others. I know I've mentioned certain things only to see them pop up elsewhere in other states forums or the Southern US forum. Maybe it's just coincidence but I'm hoping that there are people checking out the Arkansas forum and picking up any ideas they get. :D By the way Nate have you noticed your first pic is gone now?

Here is a shot of a wooded area near my house in rural Covington. Most of the wooded areas in rural Saint Tammany Parish look this way, while urban areas look so good you would never know a cat. 4 hurricane hit that area. The bottom of the picture is a bit blurry as I was moving quickly.

KatrinaDevestation.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the rebuilding process on my property here in Covington.

It looks much better than it did on August 29th, but there is still alot of work left.

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

This 100+ year old wateroak simply couldn't handle Katrina's winds. It was completely snapped at the base.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Most of the fallen trees out here are Pine's.

IMG_0219.jpg

I have a few more, but I dont want ot overload with thread with pictures, and no discussion.

As I am not going to be here, I will post the picture of the day for tommorow now.

A closeup on the flame of a fire burning away a stump from a fallen oak tree.

Covington,LA

I really like this one.

IMG_0164.jpg

Edited by NCB

Great picture, alon!

I was walking around the French Quarer this morning(after I forgot my camera:rolleyes:) I checked out my old house on Orleans and talked with some friends in the quarter.

The FQ looks fantastic after Katrina. It's really great to go there, you get that great "home in New Orleans" feeling.

I have one more non-destruction picture to post, so I'll make this one the photo of the day for the 30th.

Photo of the Day: December 30,2005

Old Farming Silo

Loranger,LA

OldSiloinLarongerLA.jpg

Hopefully someone else will have a good Louisiana picture to post as the photo of the day on the 31st :D

Edited by NCB

Here is a crop that Louisiana is very well known for...sugar cane. :D

This was taken about 20 miles south of Alexandria.

IMG_02771.jpg

^crappy quality as the image stabilizer was turned off, but it gives a good "does it ever end!?" effect.

Edited by NCB

As I am not going to be here, I will post the picture of the day for tommorow now.

A closeup on the flame of a fire burning away a stump from a fallen oak tree.

Covington,LA

I really like this one.

IMG_0164.jpg

I like this one with the fire too! Good work with that new camera Nathan!