Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Nate I guess I didn't realize sugar cane was grown that far north. And yeah I've heard image stabilizers don't work too well in moving vehicles. A tripod really will be a useful piece of equipment. Especially since there's a 12X zoom on it, granted it does have a image stabilizer also. Just curious what setting do you usually set your dial on the camera on while taking pics? I admit I don't use it often but on my Canon there's a setting for fast moving shots. Your's should have it also, it looks like a guy sprinting.

I tried taking a look at the Canon site. Yeah it looks like I have two options you don't on your camera even though yours is a newer and nicer model. Wonder why they took two of them off. I think under the function button you might be able to help the moving car pics by selecting the ISO800 selection. You might experiment with that next time your trying to take pics from the car.

^There isn't much of a dairy industry in Louisiana. We have some small dairy farms and plants around the state, but I can't think of anything famous.

Louisiana is known for crops like sugar cane and cotton, offshore oil, and seafood.

^There isn't much of a dairy industry in Louisiana. We have some small dairy farms and plants around the state, but I can't think of anything famous.

Louisiana is known for crops like sugar cane and cotton, offshore oil, and seafood.

I thought I heard Louisiana does pretty well in rice and pecans. I'm sure there are others too. :D

Here are two shots of the moon I took a couple of minutes ago on a crisp clear SE Louisiana night. :D I was mostly trying to experiment with shutter speeds.

Shot with the default shutter speed

img06090dr.jpg

Shot with a 1/4(Is that considered slow) shutter speed, and a 25% zoom.

img06181kf.jpg

Edited by NCB

I'm curious to see how your moons pics came out. That's one thing I haven't had much luck with so far. Granted I'm usually not just trying to tak pics of the moon. I've tried getting the moon with say a building. But to get the building to show up the moon ends up just being a bright blur. Maybe if I tried when there was more of a crescent moon. By the way that's not that slow of a shutter speed. But then again since you don't have a tripod yet you can't really do much with the slower shutter speeds yet. Most digital cameras I've seen go to 15 seconds. On my Canon the Tv and M setting on the dial let you play with the shutter speed.

Okay I see your moons pics have been added now.

Edited by Mith242

^I was using the Tv setting when taking the pictures.

I was just curios and selected what I guess was a very slow shutter speed, and after what seemed like an eternity when the shutter snapped, no picture showed up at all.

Did you wait long enough? The longer you leave the shutter open the longer it takes for a pic to show up on the display. I wouldn't say it always applies but when I set it at 15 seconds it seems like it takes around 15 seconds before a pic is shown on the display. Were you just holding the camera yourself?

^ :blink: I didn't no that it took longer for the picture to show up on the screen.

I guess I need to try it over again.

BTW, yea I was just holding the camera myself.

Until you can get a tripod you can use an old technique I've used before when I didn't have a tripod on hand. If you can find a relatively flat surface I've used a rock before to tilt the camera to the angle I want and tried taking pics with the shutter open for longer periods of time.

^Now thats what I'm talking about!

Great picture, IC! :thumbsup:

Though I honestly would not expect an LSU billboard in Atlanta, even if they were playing in the Peach Bowl there. Thats interesting.

Edited by NCB