Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Hey Supkof , I know this isn't urban , but the weather yesterday up in your neck of the woods was pretty bad from what I heard ? Shreveport had a Thunder-Storm at only 48 degrees ? Alot of rain up there , but I know it's needed up there .

Yes it was quite nasty, and today's not much better. It's gotten cold and the rain just keeps on comin' down. It was a very rough trip to and from Texarkana last night. We left about 5:00 pm and it wa windy and rainy the whole way, but mostly still daylight. The trip back totally sucked... it was a nasty blowing thunderstorm for quite a bit of the drive. The rest of it was just a blowing rain, but since it was also dark, I had to drive half the trip at 40-45 mph. I ended up getting home just a few minutes before midnight. Oh well, looks like one more day of it and then we're back in the clear, and hopefully we'll be warming back up!

Edited by supkof

^The weather around here isn't that great either. Not much rain, but it's just damp, uncomforatable, overcast, and windy. It's just been one of those weekends where you'd rather stay inside. But it should clear up tommorow or tuesday! :D

Yeah they say some strong storms will be moving thru by Monday afternoon ! Texas is getting hammered by this system as we speak . Dallas had 6" of rain w/ some flooding ! All of Louisiana was under the shaded area for a possibilty of severe weather ! Then Tuesday and the rest of the week should really be nice ! It's supposed to be alot cooler too ! Go figure , with the 1st full day of Spring on Tuesday .

Edited by richyb83

Yeah they say some strong storms will be moving thru by Monday afternoon ! Texas is getting hammered by this system as we speak . Dallas had 6" of rain w/ some flooding ! All of Louisiana was under the shaded area for a possibilty of severe weather ! Then Tuesday and the rest of the week should really be nice ! It's supposed to be alot cooler too ! Go figure , with the 1st full day of Spring on Tuesday .

Oh my... it's not good out there at all. I left my house just after 7:00 and I just now got here. Most of my co-workers are typically here by now but this building is mostly empty so far this morning. It's supposed to continue raining through today and tonight. My God can it get any worse? The ditches along my street are now out of their banks and the water is inching toward the homes. I just bought that home, so I hope it doesn't flood. I was talking to my next-door neighbor last week and he said the ditches are less than 1 year old. He said the water used to come halfway up to the houses during a big rain... but this is the biggest rain we've had in a long time. It literally hasn't stopped raining all weekend. Anyway, I hope it gets out of here sooner than expected... otherwise who knows what will happen.

How about we step just outside of the city for a moment with today's pictures. I took these photos last year at C. Bickham Dickson Park in southeast Shreveport. Believe it or not, this very rural-looking park with rough wooden fences and barns is just off the Industrial Loop Expressway, tucked away between the freeway and the river. You actually turn right off the freeway into the park... it's THAT close. It's quite a peaceful place to visit, and it's only 1 mile (literally) from Shreveport's busiest retail district. How cool is that? I think that's pretty unique and pretty cool... and this coming from a city boy.

Enjoy the beauty that is northwest Louisiana...

89151542.jpg

89151733.jpg

89151905.jpg

Edited by supkof

Just curious what is Atchafalaya?

The Atchafalaya River is a pretty large river feeding off of the Mississippi River west of Baton Rouge, and eventually draining into the Gulf of Mexico. The area around the river is really a giant swamp, and these are refered to as the Atchafalaya River Swamps. The entire area is mostly referred to as the Atchafalaya River Basin.

One interesting fact is the current path of the Atchafalaya River is the path that the Mississippi River took millons of years ago, before it naturally started to curl to the east towards Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The problems with the Louisiana Wetlands you have been hearing about have alot to do with the fact that the Mississippi River wants to start taking this route again, but the levees are being used to direct the river towards B.R and N.O., cutting off a great deal of the natural sediment brought by the Mississippi River from the wetlands along the coast.

Atchafalaya River Basin

atcha_map.jpg

Atchafalaya River

Atchkrotzsprings.jpg

Atchafalaya River Swamps(this area is very near the actual river, the further from the river you get, the more dense the foliage in the swamp's get.)

Atchafalaya%20swamp,%20complete%20with%20crocs..JPG

I was not sure where to post this ?(maybe NOLA Re-building ?) This does have a profound effect on Louisiana's two largest metro area. It's in relation to the Atchafaylaya/Mississippi Rivers and New Orleans . I thought this was very interesting . The control structure built near the apex of the Atchafayala runs 112 miles from the Gulf of Mexico . The Mississippi from that point to the Gulf is 225 miles.

http://www.issues.org/22.2/sparks.html

scroll down to see Atchafayala/Miss.River diagram

Edited by richyb83

Great pic Byrde ! The Shaw Arts Center was originally a $ 5 million idea that turned into a $56 million project when all was said and done . It is one of the best things to happen in Downtown BR ! It looks cool the way it illuminates at night ! Some people do not like its contemporary design . But so many bldgs. around Downtown are so bland and boring . People want the same ole stuff . I like the blend of old and new ! They are currently renovating the 296-room Capitol House hotel Hilton (Capitol Center), cata-corner from the Shaw Bldg. It is set to open in late August. These projects are feeding off one-another. And many more to come !

Great pic Byrde ! The Shaw Arts Center was originally a $ 5 million idea that turned into a $56 million project when all was said and done . It is one of the best things to happen in Downtown BR ! It looks cool the way it illuminates at night ! Some people do not like its contemporary design . But so many bldgs. around Downtown are so bland and boring . People want the same ole stuff . I like the blend of old and new ! They are currently renovating the 296-room Capitol House hotel Hilton (Capitol Center), cata-corner from the Shaw Bldg. It is set to open in late August. These projects are feeding off one-another. And many more to come !

I think the Shaw Center looks cool, though I had NO clue it was only suppsed to be $5 million. Wow, how things can change when someone with money takes a vision and runs with it. I'm also impressed with the expansion of the government campuses in downtown, and think that's a major catalyst in downtown Baton Rouge development. More workers downtown means more need for essential services downtown.

:thumbsup: keep posting things like this... I enjoy reading about everything.