Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Thanks, Brian! It was a shot that really jumped out at me once I uploaded the photos to my computer, and I'm definately happy with it. And you're right about Hoya, I'm very pleased with my polarizer after about 10 months, and spending $75 on this thing definately was the right choice in the end. I really thought about buying one of those $15-$20 polarizers, but I'm very happy I spent a bit more money.

Yes, because had you spent $15-$20 you might have kept spending that much each time hoping it was just the brand, or you might have thought polarizers just suck in general. But you know that's not true. Polarizers are awesome. I have a cheap(er) one at about $45, and while it doesn't give me excess lens flare from sunlight it does give me blue light "trash" when shooting at night. A Hoya won't do that and it's about time I invested in one. I figured up all my photography expenses today and I've spent about $5200 so far... what's $75 or even $100 more? lol

Trying out my photojournalism skills here... ;)

SHREVEPORT, La. - Fans from the Universities of Alabama and Colorado packed into the Louisiana Boardwalk along the Shreveport-Bossier City riverfront tonight to cheer on their teams at the annual PetroSun Independence Bowl Pep Rally. Loud cheers of "Go Buffs!" and "Roll Tide!" could be heard as representatives from both universities got the crowd into the spirit of the matchup. The 32nd annual PetroSun Independence Bowl will air live on ESPN tomorrow night, at 7:00 pm CST.

2148105548_dc23ee8ea5_b.jpg

Great shots from both of you!

Brian: it looks like everyone was having a great time in Shreveport last night! It ended up being a good game as well. :thumbsup:

byrde: Love the ship/industry in the photo! I love being able to capture a "working ship" whenever possible.

BTW guys, I just got back from the final day of my photo tour from around New Orleans. I now have shots from Uptown/Garden District, Audubon Park, CBD, French Quarter, Mid-City, City Park, Lakeview, and West End/Lakefront. Look for a thread sometime in the next few days!

Nate, that game was insane!!! By the second quarter I was sure the game was over, it was going to be a 100-0 blowout and Colorado was going to tuck their Buffalo tails and go home big losers. But with that comeback of theirs, it ended up being an awesome game and for a second with that play at the end, there was a glimmer of hope for them to win it. Those plays are desperate as all get out, but sometimes they do end up working out.

Looking forward to your photos, Nate. Be safe in New Orleans tonight, man... and no blurred photos, okay? lol Everyone made fun of me after my last trip down there because all my Bourbon Street photos were REEEEEAAALLLY blurred (kind of like that one you posted on Flickr recently.) :)

^ :lol: I had a good time...that's for sure!

Here's one of my newest shots...I don't know exactly how to describe this one, but it's (what I thought was) a cool angle of the Ritz-Carlton on Canal Street in downtown New Orleans:

dsc0289bordermz6.jpg

That's actually where I was supposed to stay when I was down there pre-Katrina. But the $30/day parking fee got me. I still paid $15/day but it was much easier to justify than $30! lol

Very cool shot, I like the angle.

The hotel where I stayed in D.C. in '06 had a parking fee of $18.50 and that was pretty steep for me. I don't blame you at all from steering clear of a $30 parking fee, but it's still a very nice hotel. Fly here next time! ;)

Isn't there an inter-Louisiana airline that goes between Shreveport and New Orleans for fairly cheap? Perhaps this hasn't started yet but I know I read about it a while back.

And once in downtown New Orleans there's no need for a car. :)

Isn't there an inter-Louisiana airline that goes between Shreveport and New Orleans for fairly cheap? Perhaps this hasn't started yet but I know I read about it a while back.

I hadn't heard about that airline, but if true it would be great! The drive from Shreveport to New Orleans is one of those that's just barely too long for some families, so I could see a smaller airline having a flight between the two cities a few times per month, and an increase in flights during Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, Essence Fest, etc.

There was talk of a Louisiana based Airline that would provide flights between New Orleans, Shreveport and Baton rouge, but it has not gotten off the ground yet.

One attempt that has died was to create Direct Air. Read Article Here

Another one that still has some life is call Air Gumbo.

http://www.airgumbo.com/

There was talk of a Louisiana based Airline that would provide flights between New Orleans, Shreveport and Baton rouge, but it has not gotten off the ground yet.

One attempt that has died was to create Direct Air. Read Article Here

Another one that still has some life is call Air Gumbo.

http://www.airgumbo.com/

Thanks, man. I knew I wasn't crazy... I thought I'd read something about that.

Thanks yall. Yes thats the Hwy.190(Airline Hwy.) bridge; it's the old one built in the 40's.

Yes I was Bryde; I believe it was on the 3rd floor. I got to look at a couple condo's inside; they were very nice! There were some condo's that had had bay-windows around the living area of one unit! Hard to beat that! I talked to a sales exec. with a question about the possible condo towers. Told him I was walking around taking pics for Urban Planet. He then took me on a tour in a cart! It was so cool; saw some underground parking; saw future pool deck too above the Barnes & Noble!

Great photos, guys!

I love the look of the Huey P. Long Bridge in Baton Rouge, byrde! I don't have any photos of New Orleans' version of the Huey P. Long but I'll try to find something on the internet.

Great shot from you as well, Richy! I have yet to check out Perkins Rowe, but it looks like its coming along very nicely! I definately need to stop in soon. :thumbsup:

Here's a photo of the newest USS New Orleans on the Mississippi River under New Orleans' version of the Huey P. Long Bridge, which was built in 1935 and carries 4 lanes of US Hwy. 90 and 2 tracks of rail.

070305_n_7427g_002.jpg

There is a major expansion underway for the HPL, which includes adding a third lane to each side of the bridge, adding shoulders to both sides of the road on both sides of the bridge, and completely replacing and expanding the entrance ramps, overpasses, and traffic circles leading to the bridge. Here is the official website for the project.

And here's a photo update of the widening from about a month ago:

Both_struts%2011-03-07.jpg

And here's a photo update of the widening from about a month ago:

Both_struts%2011-03-07.jpg

My wife is in engineering and I'm in residential design, so we both deal with bracing, material stresses, etc.... and that scares us both. lol Of course I'm sure the angle has been designed specifically for the force bearing down on it, and I'm sure they will bore and tie the new concrete into the existing with some serious steel... but still... it looks a little bit scary!

My wife is in engineering and I'm in residential design, so we both deal with bracing, material stresses, etc.... and that scares us both. lol Of course I'm sure the angle has been designed specifically for the force bearing down on it, and I'm sure they will bore and tie the new concrete into the existing with some serious steel... but still... it looks a little bit scary!

Oh I know, I've been thinking the same thing. But as you said, I'm sure they know what they're doing...this is Louisiana after all...lot's of bridges and water around these parts. ;)

You know guys, I've been thinking, and this thread is just too classy. We all post photos from around our great state and nicely converse about anything having to do with them. It's about time we put something in here that's trashy, immature, and well...just a little bit funny. So here we go!

I call this one "Bourbon Street..............yep."

dsc0254borderhs0.jpg

Hate it or love it...it's hard not to smile as you see some of the stuff that lines Bourbon Street. :lol:

You know guys, I've been thinking, and this thread is just too classy. We all post photos from around our great state and nicely converse about anything having to do with them. It's about time we put something in here that's trashy, immature, and well...just a little bit funny. So here we go!

I call this one "Bourbon Street..............yep."

dsc0254borderhs0.jpg

Hate it or love it...it's hard not to smile as you see some of the stuff that lines Bourbon Street. :lol:

lol now that's a new one on me. I like how all the nudie bars have their doors wide open. You can take a peek without paying cover. ;) They might not even charge cover, who knows. Nate? Do they? I'm sure you know. :D