Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

The question about the "cemeteries" on the street car reminded me of a funny story. The first ride I took on the Canal St. line, a tourist stepped on and asked the conductor what the "cemeteries" meant on the front, asking if that was the end of the line. The conductor, obviously with a good sense of humor replied, "Yeah baby, that's the end of the line alright, for this streetcar and one day, you and me both!" I laughed, along with several others within earshot. I bet she uses that line all the time.

Edited by TSmith

The question about the "cemeteries" on the street car reminded me of a funny story. The first ride I took on the Canal St. line, a tourist stepped on and asked the conductor what the "cemeteries" meant on the front, asking if that was the end of the line. The conductor, obviously with a good sense of humor replied, "Yeah baby, that's the end of the line alright, for this streetcar and one day, you and me both!" I laughed, along with several others within earshot. I bet she uses that line all the time.

:lol: Yeah I bet that happens a bit.

That's kind of a stupid question. :rofl: But a hilarious answer.

Great story, TSmith! :lol:

:lol: Yeah I bet that happens a bit.

Oh that nothing compared to what you hear some tourist's ask. ;) To another tourist, most of the questions seem pretty strait-forward, but to a local, quite a few of them give you a good laugh. :D

Here are two views of New Orleans showing some of its density. Photos courtesy of WesternGulf over at SSC.:D

images snipped from quote

Those are both awesome. And in the last one... more of those blue tarps. Amazing. Not only that, but you're correct... doesn't even look like an American city. I love New Orleans' architecture so much. Now I'm inspired... I need to upload my New Orleans pictures to the net and post 'em. Thanks for sharing those, Nate.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Those are both awesome. And in the last one... more of those blue tarps. Amazing. Not only that, but you're correct... doesn't even look like an American city. I love New Orleans' architecture so much. Now I'm inspired... I need to upload my New Orleans pictures to the net and post 'em. Thanks for sharing those, Nate.

No problem! I hope you're able to get your New Orleans pictures up! :thumbsup:

Great pics NCB ! No city in the South can match the density of New Orleans ! The architecture really sets-it-apart from other cities too .

I can't say I know much about this but there are usually two cities I hear a lot about in the south with high density, New Orleans and Charleston SC. Any idea how density compares?

There's something about this photo that I like :D ...

Light streams in through the holes in the Superdome roof as work continues on the Louisiana Superdome following damage from Hurricane Katrina.

dome626xl.jpg

Ted Jackson / Times-Picayune

There's something about this photo that I like :D ...

Light streams in through the holes in the Superdome roof as work continues on the Louisiana Superdome following damage from Hurricane Katrina.

dome626xl.jpg

Ted Jackson / Times-Picayune

Wow, a very cool photo. It gives the impression that there's a "higher" power overseeing the work. Very nice.

Looking into Jackson Square from in front of the Saint Louis Cathedral :D

IMG_1020.jpg

Now there's a different angle you don't normally get to see unless you're walking around down there... because most people photograph either the cathedral or the Cabildo, but not looking out in the other direction. Very cool. :thumbsup:

I just managed to get a shot of this while getting on the entrance ramp to I-10 going out of the city. I've seen this picture on quite a few other forums, and I'm very proud to say it's mine! And of course, the billboard says my thoughts exactly. :D

IMG_1130.jpg

I can't say I know much about this but there are usually two cities I hear a lot about in the south with high density, New Orleans and Charleston SC. Any idea how density compares?

Charleston.jpg

Density ranges from 32-12,261 people per sq mile. The darker the color the higher the density. The green areas have at least 2,750 per sq mile

NewOrleans.jpg

Density ranges from 34-40,317 people per sq mile. The green areas have at least 8,086 people per sq mile. Keep in mind this is with 484,000 people, estimates in 1965 have the population at 700-800,000

Edited by Mikejesmike

New Orleans is definitely the densest big city of the south,especially in design. The only city that outdoes it in people per sq miles is Miami and keep in mind Miami is at a population peak while New Orleans has been in a population loss since the 1960's Also Miami is pretty much all built up, New Orleans has a bunch of land that no one lives on. The city is about 180 sq miles, the part people live in is about 73 sq miles. Which gives a density of about 6,630 in 2000. Before New Orleans East the liveable part of the city was about 53 sq miles, with a density of about 11,840 in 1960. It peaked around 1965, I'm not sure if N.O.E. was built by then, I'm guessing no. The density would've been between 13,208 and 15,904.

I told my brother-in-law yesterday (a New Orleans fireman) that I think New Orleans is going to see a pretty big surge in high rise (at least 17 stories) residentials, nice residentials too I might add, being built on the land along the Mississippi that didn't flood. I think there's a plan to try to move almost all the people onto about 15 sq miles of land. He agreed and he thinks it's the best thing to do. I told him the urban core of the city is probably going to look and feel like Manhattan.

I also see this new high rise condo thing happening because developers are starting to notice that New Orleans is a vacation area. I think it was said there are 3 cities that have a highrise condo market-NYC,Las Vegas and Miami. I think they're going to add New Orleans to that considering all the out of town vacationers that would buy a condo to use when they come around.

Here are two views of New Orleans showing some of its density. Photos courtesy of WesternGulf over at SSC.:D

aa21by.jpg

This one doesn't even look....American :blink:

a2ze.jpg

You know, I've responded to this particular post before but I must respond again. There's a thread on Providence, RI showing some pictures a guy's friend helped him take and some people said those were the clearest photos they'd seen of any city. I agreed with that until I saw this first pic again. WOW, the clarity... it seems almost surreal it's so clear. I know you didn't take these photos, but they're both great. That first one, though... in my opinion... is spectacular.