Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

You know, I've responded to this particular post before but I must respond again. There's a thread on Providence, RI showing some pictures a guy's friend helped him take and some people said those were the clearest photos they'd seen of any city. I agreed with that until I saw this first pic again. WOW, the clarity... it seems almost surreal it's so clear. I know you didn't take these photos, but they're both great. That first one, though... in my opinion... is spectacular.

I agree, especially about the first photo. All of the credit goes to WesternGulf! :D

^Yea, when I look over it again, in some ways it doesn't even look real. He's obviously got a great camera, and was lucky enough to get a picture like that on a day with very clear skies.

This is going to sound freakish as hell, but I'll say it anyway... cuz I don't care... it reminds me of the beginning of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Yeah that's right, I said it... what's up now!?

This is going to sound freakish as hell, but I'll say it anyway... cuz I don't care... it reminds me of the beginning of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Yeah that's right, I said it... what's up now!?

Haha, its been so long since I've seen that show, I couldn't even try to compare the two. ;)

Haha, its been so long since I've seen that show, I couldn't even try to compare the two. ;)

Hey, don't judge me for having every episode recorded!!! Oh wait, did I actually type that?

Seriously, I know why I remember it so well... because I've always been obsessed with cities and buildings and I paid really close attention to that part of the show.

Hey, don't judge me for having every episode recorded!!! Oh wait, did I actually type that?

Seriously, I know why I remember it so well... because I've always been obsessed with cities and buildings and I paid really close attention to that part of the show.

I loved that show. And two of my favorite parts were always seeing the "neighborhood" as the camera sweeped in, and then trying to predict what color sweater Mr. Rogers was going to wear. :)

Haha, well we've certainly ventured off-topic!

Ahh I've seen that sight before. And to think, everytime you go into the city you have to cross that. <-- that's right, isn't it? There's not another way, or is there?

Cool pic.

Yep, as long as I'm up here on the Northshore, I've got to take that everytime I go into the city. There are many other bridges, but I would either have to go east to Slidell or west to I-55 to get to them, or I could go allll the way around the lake, which would take quite awhile, so the Causeway is by far the quickest and easiest way.

Yep, as long as I'm up here on the Northshore, I've got to take that everytime I go into the city. There are many other bridges, but I would either have to go east to Slidell or west to I-55 to get to them, or I could go allll the way around the lake, which would take quite awhile, so the Causeway is by far the quickest and easiest way.

I forgot about the bridge to Slidell... wasn't that one damaged by Katrina?

Oh, and I was thinking about the "around the lake" thing, but that would be the really scenic route wouldn't it!?

^O yes, that would definately be a scenic route. I read somewhere that before the smaller highway bridges were built across the Causeway near Slidell, it used to take New Orleanians 4-6 hours to get to Mandeville or Covington, which were popular spots for mini-getaways. That was with those old cars, and there was really just a dirt road filled with potholes going around the lake.

There are 2 or 3 different bridges in Slidell, and the largest on, The Twinspans, was heavily damaged, but is fixed to the point where you can drive across all parts of the bridge in both directions.

Check out this density.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/katrina...ch9_2004_dg.jpg

Warning-Huge photo 4,032x4,462 pixels

New Orleans density is even more alarming when you look at the preponderance of detached dwellings. Check out how many they pack on the average block. Looks like on some of those blocks you get a backyard depending on where your house is on the block.

This was my first attempt ever of using the photo stitch feature on my camera and try to create a pano, and I think I suceeded, at least a bit. It's a very boring location, but it gives you a view of the edge of the French Quarter, over what is really the only very large surface parking lot in downtown New Orleans, and then across the riverfront, and you can see some of the festivities and action going on there because of the French Quarter Fest.

Anyway, here it is. :D

ParkingLotPano.jpg