Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

This was my first attempt ever of using the photo stitch feature on my camera and try to create a pano, and I think I suceeded, at least a bit. It's a very boring location, but it gives you a view of the edge of the French Quarter, over what is really the only very large surface parking lot in downtown New Orleans, and then across the riverfront, and you can see some of the festivities and action going on there because of the French Quarter Fest.

Anyway, here it is. :D

ParkingLotPano.jpg

Hey, I know that parking lot. As soon as I saw it, I thought... Hooters is right across from that lot. And sure enough, there's Hooters... the blue building in the middle of all the buildings on the left-hand side of that photo.

I wonder if my camera will do panos... I didn't even know any cameras had that feature. Man I've got a lot to learn. What kind of camera do you have, Nate?

I wonder if my camera will do panos... I didn't even know any cameras had that feature. Man I've got a lot to learn. What kind of camera do you have, Nate?

I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS, which is 5.0 megapixels and has a 12x optical zoom. It's really a great camera for me. How bout you, Brian?

I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS, which is 5.0 megamixels and has a 12x optical zoom. It's really a great camera for me. How bout you, Brian?

Sorry, had to go out to the car to get it... and when I came back, my Internet Explorer had closed out on me.

It's a Sony Cybershot DSC-P93A, 5.1 megapixels and only 3x optical zoom. I can't believe yours has 12x optical zoom... man that sucks. Time for Brian to get a new camera...

Oh yeah, and you said megamixels. (see your post) :lol: :lol:

Sorry, had to go out to the car to get it... and when I came back, my Internet Explorer had closed out on me.

It's a Sony Cybershot DSC-P93A, 5.1 megapixels and only 3x optical zoom. I can't believe yours has 12x optical zoom... man that sucks. Time for Brian to get a new camera...

Ahh you've got one of those point and shoot camera's, huh? Mine's a bit more bulky..

0,1425,i=109378,00.jpg

I love it though, even if you can't fit it in your pocket most of the time.

Oh yeah, and you said megamixels. (see your post) :lol: :lol:

:lol: oops!

Ahh you've got one of those point and shoot camera's, huh? Mine's a bit more bulky..

0,1425,i=109378,00.jpg

I love it though, even if you can't fit it in your pocket most of the time.

Yeah it's point-and-shoot, but it was all I could afford at the time I bought it. I kind of wish I'd waited, because these days I can afford a better one. It's just a matter of getting my wife to agree to it. I'm almost there, though. I want a "bulkier" camera and a tripod.

I'm almost there, though. I want a "bulkier" camera and a tripod.

I still haven't bought a tripod. But I'm finally making a point of doing it this weekend.

If you want any info or tips on some camera's, please ask! Also, I really recommend this site for reviews and info on more camera's than you could ever need. That is the review for the S2, but you can find literally any camera you want. :thumbsup:

Great shot Nate. Looks like you've had some better luck with photostitch than I have. That program is probably the only disappointment I've had with Canon. I have a harder time seeing the seems on your pic than most of mine. Oh well still a very nice camera.

Great shot Nate. Looks like you've had some better luck with photostitch than I have. That program is probably the only disappointment I've had with Canon. I have a harder time seeing the seems on your pic than most of mine. Oh well still a very nice camera.

Thanks, Rod!

This was the first time I even used it, and it was actually pretty easy. My pictures overlapped a bit, but the photostich program on my PC put them together very well. I was very happy with it. :D

Not trying to take people away from here but I was hoping maybe a few of you guys might check out some pics I have of a place in Arkansas called Eureka Springs. I've heard some people say it reminds them of the French Quarter. I guess in some ways I can see what they're saying but I was curious to see what people who are more familiar with New Orleans might say. If I had to compare it I'd have to say it reminds me of a bigger version of some of the old western mining towns like those in west Colorado. Without the Rocky Mtns of course.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24781

^Very nice photo's, Rod!(I'll comment over there too)

It reminds me of a larger old western mining town like you said more than the French Quarter, mostly because the architecture is different and the culture is probably very different. But I did think I saw a few Fleur De Lis' on some of the fence's, and that is very New Orleans, and very south Louisiana in general.

Not to discredit any of your photos, because they've all been great, but these are awesome. I love sailboats.

Thanks! I thought the pictures came out pretty well for being taken out of the window while moving 65mph.

And I love sailboats, and sailing in generall too. It's great fun, just not when your stuck out in the middle of Lake Ponchartrain during a hot summer day, with absolutely no wind, and your on a boat with no engine. It's happened to me quite a few times. <_< But I've always especially liked sailing with high winds in rough waters, now that, is fun! :D

^Very nice photo's, Rod!(I'll comment over there too)

It reminds me of a larger old western mining town like you said more than the French Quarter, mostly because the architecture is different and the culture is probably very different. But I did think I saw a few Fleur De Lis' on some of the fence's, and that is very New Orleans, and very south Louisiana in general.

Yeah you do see some references. There is a New Orleans Hotel there. You also the word Crescent pop up a lot. But I don't think people were purposely copying New Orleans. The hotel maybe, but many of those places date back to the 1800's the names included. But it is weird to see what seems to be a little bit of New Orleans up here. I wonder if any Katrina evacuees ended up there. It might help them feel at least a little bit more at home.

Thanks! I thought the pictures came out pretty well for being taken out of the window while moving 65mph.

And I love sailboats, and sailing in generall too. It's great fun, just not when your stuck out in the middle of Lake Ponchartrain during a hot summer day, with absolutely no wind, and your on a boat with no engine. It's happened to me quite a few times. <_< But I've always especially liked sailing with high winds in rough waters, now that, is fun! :D

I was about to ask if you took that pic from land or if you were actually sailing yourself. :D Anyway nice looking pics Nate.

I was about to ask if you took that pic from land or if you were actually sailing yourself. :D Anyway nice looking pics Nate.

Yea I took those from the Causeway, but I should have pictures from when I am actuallt sailing, as I may be doing that alot this summer. :thumbsup:

I know I just posted a photo, but I had forgotten all about this one, which I thought came out pretty well, other than the side of the window in the picture. <_<

Looking down I-12

Taken from the Goodbee overpass, just outside of Madisonville here in Saint Tammany Parish

IMG_2227.jpg

^I really think the photo looks great because the color of the grass looks great with the color of the sky, which is a shade of blue you don't see in the sky often.

I know I just posted a photo, but I had forgotten all about this one, which I thought came out pretty well, other than the side of the window in the picture. <_<

Looking down I-12

Taken from the Goodbee overpass, just outside of Madisonville here in Saint Tammany Parish

.photo snipped for reply.

^I really think the photo looks great because the color of the grass looks great with the color of the sky, which is a shade of blue you don't see in the sky often.

Hey... you copying my overpass thing!? Actually I don't even know if you ever saw my overpass photo, but it didn't have the cool "scary" sky thing going on in it. Mine was taken from Southern Loop, overlooking I-49 just south of Shreveport... but it was on a clear day. Nothing "scary" about my pic!

Cool photos though.

Hey... you copying my overpass thing!?

Man, I'm the king of overpass photos! I think I have as many overpass photos and others looking down bridges and major highways as I do skyline shots! And I saw that picture, and even though there wasn't anything "scary about it, I still liked it! :D

Nice pics ! I never thought of LSU as having a Skyline. ha Tiger Stadium is hiding somewhere around there. The 14-story Kirby Smith dorm may be blocking it ? Or is it to the right ?

Those clouds look great ! Looks like a wall of water .

Thanks! I never thought about it either, but I guess when you look at that photo, you could call it something like a skyline. I've never even seen the buildings that clearly from I-10 before, but we were stuck in the horrible Baton Rouge rush hour traffic, allowing plenty of time to look at everything in the area, read a book, build a scale model of the Empire State Building, etc. ;)

And Tiger Stadium and the Pete Maravich Assembly Center are just to the right of the Kirby Smith dorms, but in all of that traffic you better believe I got a shot(or 8) of them too! :D

IMG_2201.jpg

Man, I'm the king of overpass photos! I think I have as many overpass photos and others looking down bridges and major highways as I do skyline shots! And I saw that picture, and even though there wasn't anything "scary about it, I still liked it! :D

Thanks! I never thought about it either, but I guess when you look at that photo, you could call it something like a skyline. I've never even seen the buildings that clearly from I-10 before, but we were stuck in the horrible Baton Rouge rush hour traffic, allowing plenty of time to look at everything in the area, read a book, build a scale model of the Empire State Building, etc. ;)

And Tiger Stadium and the Pete Maravich Assembly Center are just to the right of the Kirby Smith dorms, but in all of that traffic you better believe I got a shot(or 8) of them too! :D

IMG_2201.jpg

DEATH VALLEY... that is, to the competition anyway.

Tiger bait!!!

DEATH VALLEY... that is, to the competition anyway.

Tiger bait!!!

Oh yea! :D

Can you imagineTiger Stadium if the proposed plans of making the upper level a horshoe and adding another upper-deck behind an enzone, or maybe even both become a reality? 125,000+ crazy LSU fans in Death Valley on a Saturday night! :D And what's scary is that LSU could have a football staduim with a capacity of over 145,000, and still have people on the waiting list for tickets! :lol: