Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Thanks guys! :D

Here is another one of my French Quarter pictures, looking up a side-alley into a small back courtyard area of a house. Just for some personal info, which color setting do you guys like better?

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

I have that problem a lot. I have a hard time deciding when to do B&W. I usually stick to color, I guess I'm more of a color fan. I guess that's one thing I haven't developed, is an eye for B&W. Not to say I don't appreciate B&W pics.

Edited by Mith242

I have that problem a lot. I have a hard time deciding when to do B&W. I usually stick to color, I guess I'm more of a color fan. I guess that's one thing I haven't developed, is an eye for B&W. Not to say I don't appreciate B&W pics.

I normally have an opinion in my mind quickly on whether to use color or B&W in a certain shot, but this one was tough, so I took two pictures. I like the appearance that B&W gives to the courtyard area, but I also like the color of the leaves and the umbrella in contrast with the dark alley. I think I'm starting to lean towards the color version as the one I prefer.

The red ubrella really sets the scene for me.

Same here, and that is the main reason why I like the color photo better.

BTW, does anyone know how to get borders around photos, along with a label, such as "NCB @ UrbanPlanet" or something like that to put into photos? I'm asking because I've seen some of my better photos from around New Orleans popping up on other N.O. forums, and I know that we have many people who view the forum who are into photography. I've been trying to use the Gimp program to do it, but I've been running into problems.

BTW, does anyone know how to get borders around photos, along with a label, such as "NCB @ UrbanPlanet" or something like that to put into photos? I'm asking because I've seen some of my better photos from around New Orleans popping up on other N.O. forums, and I know that we have many people who view the forum who are into photography. I've been trying to use the Gimp program to do it, but I've been running into problems.

Well, after numerous tries and experiments, I think I figured out the problems I was having with adding and flatening layers on top of the image, and here is what I came out with. I'm not trying to boast about my photos by putting my name on them, because I know most of them aren't anything to brag about, but I'd like to have credit for some of my better photos posted by others on other forums.

I used this in a combo of Paint and Gimp programs, and so I still dont know how to get borders around the whole image, along with bordering lines, which I like around some photos, but this is good enough for my first serious attempt.

IMG_2359edited3.jpg

And now, I am officially edicted to GIMP. :lol: It's an Image Manipulation Program, and it's basically a free and slightly scaled down version of Adobe Photoshop.

Here's one image manipulation I was able to come up with:

This photo of the Saint Louis Cathedral,

IMG_2422.jpg

became this:

IMG_2422badass.jpg

It's very cool, and I have a feeling I'm going to be doing this with every image I have on my pc! :lol:

Well, after numerous tries and experiments, I think I figured out the problems I was having with adding and flatening layers on top of the image, and here is what I came out with. I'm not trying to boast about my photos by putting my name on them, because I know most of them aren't anything to brag about, but I'd like to have credit for some of my better photos posted by others on other forums.

I used this in a combo of Paint and Gimp programs, and so I still dont know how to get borders around the whole image, along with bordering lines, which I like around some photos, but this is good enough for my first serious attempt.

IMG_2359edited3.jpg

I'm digging that :shades: Don't let nobody take credit for your photos, let em' know they can't jack your photos and not give props.

A piece of advice if I can, Nate. You may want to consider doing like monsoon does, and put the implied copyright information somewhere that obstructs the photo only slightly, and with a fairly light text. This way it's more integrated into the photo and there's less chance of someone simply cropping the information from the bottom of the photograph. Anyway, this is just a thought. It seems people have more success with that than with something that can be easily cropped from the photo.

The pic you manipulated in Gimp looks cool as hell. I've thought about downloading Gimp, but I already have Photoshop. The only thing is, this computer sucks so bad Photoshop takes forever to load and close, so I may just try gimp since it's a slimmed-down version. I already also have Adobe ImageReady, which is also a slimmed-down version of Photoshop, but its features aren't as nice. Maybe Gimp will have some better options than ImageReady.

A piece of advice if I can, Nate. You may want to consider doing like monsoon does, and put the implied copyright information somewhere that obstructs the photo only slightly, and with a fairly light text. This way it's more integrated into the photo and there's less chance of someone simply cropping the information from the bottom of the photograph. Anyway, this is just a thought. It seems people have more success with that than with something that can be easily cropped from the photo.

Yea, I thought about that too, and gave it a shot in the Saint Louis Cathedral picture:

SaintLouisCathedralFace.jpg

^Though one thing I need to figure out how to do is get the copyright symbol into the photo.

And about GIMP, I would definately try it out if I were you. It works great for me, and even if it's not as complex as PhotoShop, it is perfect for my needs. And hey, it's free, so you've got nothing to lose. :thumbsup:

For today's Louisiana Photo of the Day, I figured I'd post the link to a gallery. This gallery contains about 30 photos from today's Barksdale Air Force Base Air Show. The Air Show will be going on tomorrow as well, and if I get the opportunity I will go down there and attend. Maybe since lots of people will be in church, I'll be able to get in and move around. I was able to park alongside the edge of the base and snap a few photos today, but none of them are very good. I need to get on base in order to get the better photos, and like I said, if I have an opportunity to go over there tomorrow I will.

For now, please enjoy this gallery from the Shreveport Times. This is a great collection of photos, as it captures not only the aeronautical action, but also the feel of the event through the faces of people in attendance.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...r=513002&Ref=PH

Great Saint Louis Cathedral pic Nate ! The building looks brand-new.

That's what I've thought all along! That picture is so crisp and clean, the building looks brand-new!! Looking at that photo, I even thought it looks like a scale model just because of how perfect it looks.

Thanks for sharing the photo gallery at Barksdale Brian. It must be pretty cool to have a AFB in your city.

Yes, it's awesome. Probably 75% of my neighbors out here in Haughton are Air Force people. My next-door neighbor is in the ARMY, but most are Air Force and are from all over the country. My next-door neighbor came here from Florida, the people directly across from me are from New Mexico, and the guy next to them is from Utah. He's actually not in the military, though... he's in upper management for the black powder plant down the road. It's the only black powder plant in North America.

I was driving down I-20 this afternoon around 3:45 when I saw the last act in today's Air Show, so I pulled off onto the service road and watched from the parking lot of the DMV. Very cool. I really hope I'm able to go tomorrow. Last year I got some photos of the US Navy Blue Angels, but those didn't turn out too well. When I was younger I always enjoyed watching the Blue Angels and the gone, but not forgotten, Thunderbirds.

Anyway, can you imagine San Antonio? They have four Air Force Bases in their city: Kelly, Lackland, Brooks, and Randolph. In addition, that city is also home to other military installations as well. Pretty cool.

Thanks for providing those photos, Brian!

I really liked the 11th photo. :thumbsup:

Oh definitely... that's a cool one. Number 12 goes along with it and is cool as well.

FYI: Next time you're in Shreveport-Bossier (this goes for everyone, not just Nate) and you have a little time to explore, get directions to the North Gate of the base. Inside that gate is the Eighth Air Force Museum, and it's open to the public. Let me tell you, it's extremely impressive. The inside part is pretty cool and includes a film about the history of the base. However the outside part is where the really cool stuff is. There's about a 1/2-mile to 1-mile walkway lined with airplanes, both old and new. These planes are all on display and absolutely make the experience. The most recent addition is an SR-71 Blackbird. That's right, the SR-71 Stealth Fighter. Damn straight!!

Seriously, though, the museum on the Base is a very cool and lesser-known local attraction and is VERY much worth a visit. We took my father-in-law there last year and he was floored. He couldn't stop taking pictures with his cell phone and sending them to his wife.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

^I'm definately going to have to check out that museum. I've never been, but I love airplanes, so I think it'll be great. :thumbsup:

It doesn't surprise me that you've never been. Until I took my father-in-law last year, I'd never even been before. And once I'd been, I was very disappointed that I hadn't gone before. This is the only area of the base where civilians are allowed to go unsupervised. It's right inside the gate, along the beginning stretch of the perimeter convoy route.

A little piece of information... and before you go dismissing this as BS, know that I'm being dead serious. There is an area out on the east reservation where the majority of the USA's stockpile of nuclear weapons are stored. In this area, the grass is a mine field and there are signs giving specific instructions to NOT pull off the road unless it's a life-and-death situation... because if you do stop it will be a life-and-death situation, because the guards out there are under orders to use deadly force if need be.

A few years ago, one of our local news stations did a story about the nuclear weapon stockpile, and hearing the story really put the situation into perspective. It was very scary actually.

The town of Haughton, where I live, is right off the east reservation, so it's sandwiched between the east reservation and the black powder plant at 'Camp Minden.' If terrorists were to strike both of those places, I'd be screwed. It's been said that if there were a nuclear emergency at Barksdale, the hole left behind would be larger than metro Shreveport-Bossier and the explosion would be felt as far away as Dallas. Luckily Barksdale is one of the most heavily-fortified bases in the nation, and that's why President Bush was flown in here on September 11, 2001. They knew nothing would happen to him here.

^Wow, talk about some very interesting information that I did not know. Thank you very much for sharing that Brian, because I had absolutely no idea that the majority of the U.S.'s nukes were stored around Barksdale. Very interesting.

Here is another one of my GIMP manipulated photos. You can see how programs like GIMP and PhotoShop can really turn somewhat of a normal and bland image, into something pretty cool.

This photo,

IMG_2415.jpg

Became this,

IMG_24159badass.jpg

Here is another one of my GIMP manipulated photos. You can see how programs like GIMP and PhotoShop can really turn somewhat of a normal and bland image, into something pretty cool.

This photo,

IMG_2415.jpg

Became this,

IMG_24159badass.jpg

It's fun manipulating images in such programs. I like to use ImageReady for my avatar and signature images.

Anyway, that looks cool. Looks like something you did by hand. I can't really tell by the shot, but that looks like St. Louis Cathedral in the background. Is that Pirate's Alley? Sorry, just trying to place the location. I see the artwork on the side wall, so that's why I'm thinking that's where it is.

Anyway, that looks cool. Looks like something you did by hand. I can't really tell by the shot, but that looks like St. Louis Cathedral in the background. Is that Pirate's Alley? Sorry, just trying to place the location. I see the artwork on the side wall, so that's why I'm thinking that's where it is.

Yep, that's where it's at. It was very active for the French Quarter Fest.

Same here, and that is the main reason why I like the color photo better.

Sorry, Nate, I never saw where you asked how to do borders. Do you still need to know this? I have a technique I learned on my own for doing quick borders in Photoshop, so it may be the same in Gimp. I'm really not sure about Gimp's toolbox, because I still haven't downloaded it. It's a 30-60 minute download on this computer. :wacko:

Anyway, let me know if you still need to know how to do borders and I'll try to type you up a quick tutorial. It's actually quite a few steps, but it's very simple and once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly. You can always try it out in Gimp and see if it works the same way.