Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Anyway, let me know if you still need to know how to do borders and I'll try to type you up a quick tutorial. It's actually quite a few steps, but it's very simple and once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly. You can always try it out in Gimp and see if it works the same way.

Yea, I still need to know how to do this. From what I've experienced with PhotoShop, it's very similar to GIMP in many ways, so I think it might work. Any help would be great! :)

For Nate or anyone else, here's a short tutorial on how I create borders around images in Adobe ImageReady, which is basically a slimmed-down version of Adobe Photoshop:

1. First, decide what color and width you want your border to be.

2. Next, select the foreground color based on what you want your border color to be.

3. Then you will click the 'Rectangular Marquee' icon. On my ImageReady program, it's the firts button in my toolbox. The icon image is of a rectangle drawn with dashed lines.

4. Now that you've selected that utility, bring your cursor to your image. Move the cursor into your image just a few pixels from the upper-left corner of the image, and click a point based on the width you'd like your border to be. This will be the upper-left inside corner of your border.

5. Now move your cursor to a point inside the lower-right corner of your image, keeping the margin the same all the way around your image. When it looks just right, click your point. ImageReady automatically skips to the next pixel as you move your cursor around your image in the Rectangular Marquee utility.

6. At this point, you should have a dashed rectangle, ceating a margin a few pixels wide, all the way around the inside of your image. This is the outline of what will become your image border.

7. Click the 'Select' tab on the Windows menu at the top of your screen, above the image editor's interface. Choose the 'Inverse' option. This causes the program to select the margin you've just created, rather than the remaining area of the image.

8. Now, click the 'Flood Fill' or 'Paint Bucket' icon, depending on what program you're using. Before using this utility, make sure that you have the foreground color set to the color you want your border to be.

9. Click inside the selected area, and your border should be done. Now you can go back to the 'Select' Windows tab at the top of your screen again and click 'Deselect' and then move on to whatever else you wish to do to manipulate your image.

I hope this helps. I've been told other ways of creating borders, but they get pretty complicated. I stumbled across this one day when I was frustrated and just trying to come up with something. There are many steps involved, but it's very easy once you get the hang of it.

And on my images, I have applied a light yellow 'Outer Glow' to my borders through the Layer Management tools, with only 75% opacity.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Hey Nate, just checking in with you. Have you had an opportunity to try this and see if it works in Gimp? No rush, but I was hoping to hear it worked so I'm a little concerned you've found a discrepancy between ImageReady and Gimp that you can't easily overcome.

Just let me know!

Hey Nate, just checking in with you. Have you had an opportunity to try this and see if it works in Gimp? No rush, but I was hoping to hear it worked so I'm a little concerned you've found a discrepancy between ImageReady and Gimp that you can't easily overcome.

Just let me know!

I'm working on it right now! So far so good!

Not much substance to this photo, but hey, I like the Harrah's logo! :D

IMG_2614.jpg

I always have liked the Harrah's logo as well. I think it's cool how they have a giant three-dimensional build-up of their logo atop their enormous hotel tower in Las Vegas. When they built their hotel here, I hoped they'd do that, but they didn't. Either way, it's very cool.

Not sure what street this is, but it's in the French Quarter somewhere. Maybe Nate can fill us in on exactly where this is.

Sorry, I missed this. I really can't tell you what street that is. It's actually pretty hard to look at it and be familiar with it for me, even after I spent most of my life in the French Quarter. Do you remember what major FQ streets your where near, or any landmarks you were near?

With reference to the street pictured above...

I'm not quite sure about his, but is it Pirate's Alley?

Nope, that's not Piarates Alley. Pirates Alley is right next to the Saint Louis Cathedral, and goes back to Royal Street from Chartres. Though Pirates Alley is reasonably wide, you would never be able to fit two cars through it, as you can do on the pictured street.

I like that pic Nate. The buildings in the background and also the buildings in the foreground as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Rod! :D This is another one of those shots that I like because it shows two era's of buildings and history in New Orleans. Even though those buildings on the edge of the Quarter are some of the newer ones in the area, they are still much older than the high-rises you see in the picture, which were all built between 1972-'84.

Thanks, Rod! :D This is another one of those shots that I like because it shows two era's of buildings and history in New Orleans. Even though those buildings on the edge of the Quarter are some of the newer ones in the area, they are still much older than the high-rises you see in the picture, which were all built between 1972-'84.

Yeah I like the contrast in buildings. I managed to get some shots a little bit like that in Little Rock. An older smaller building in the foreground with a newer tall building in the background. I just really like the contrasts like that. :D

Not sure what street this is, but it's in the French Quarter somewhere. Maybe Nate can fill us in on exactly where this is.

I thought this was such a beautiful view down this street because of the canopy of trees. Sorry the picture is a little blurry.

138978780.jpg

Well, as I was looking through my photo library, I found a shot that I hadn't looked at much that looked pretty familiar. This isn't the same shot, but I'm willing to bet that Brian's shot was taken just a street or two away. Also, the street in Brian's shot would look something like this, except filled even more greenery, during the spring or summer.

img1039custom3go.jpg

I posted this one over in the Photos forum, and thought I'd post it here. :)

Two buildings with two very different fates in New Orleans...

The Louisiana Supreme Court building recently underwent a major exterior renovation:

IMG_0997Custom.jpg

This old building on Canal Street, which had been sitting unused and was falling apart for years, was under demolision:

img1066bwcustom5rj.jpg