Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

:lol: You guys are hilarious. By the way Nate what did you mean by Sav-A-Center tonight?

Haha, yea I had just realized at about 9:20 that I was basically out of food, so I had to head out to Sav-A-Center for some stuff.

Albertson's completely left the New Orleans market about a year ago, and we now have Wal-Mart, Target, Sav-A-Center, Whole Foods, Winn-Dixie, and Rouses Supermarket, a local chain that is hitting it big as the major grocery stores in metro New Orleans.

Albertson's completely left the New Orleans market about a year ago, and we now have Wal-Mart, Target, Sav-A-Center, Whole Foods, Winn-Dixie, and Rouses Supermarket, a local chain that is hitting it big as the major grocery stores in metro New Orleans.

One of our Albertsons' stores decided not to renew its lease and closed a year or so ago, but we still have one in south Shreveport and one in east Bossier. That's it, though. Brookshire's and Super 1 are both owned by Brookshire Brothers of Tyler, TX, and have LONG been a major player in this market. No doubt they have the majority of the grocery market cornered in this region. Then Wal-Mart and Kroger come into play, and then Albertson's.

Did Rouse's just pop up out of nowhere and become big suddenly?

Did Rouse's just pop up out of nowhere and become big suddenly?

Only a few years ago Rouses had only one store in Thibodaux. They then opened a few stores around the Houma-Thibodaux area, and throughout extreme SE and south Louisiana. Now, their two newest stores are located in Covington and Mandeville, and have a total of 16 stores around New Orleans. Rouses is my favorite grocery store to go to, period. They offer so much stuff, from their "Soup of the Day" and all of their specialty seafood dishes and meat dishes, to the giant crawfish boils and BBQ's that they have outside of their stores. Awesome store. And again, I just love their seafood dishes, they're always fantastic. Their slogan is "Born on the Bayou" and they know their Louisiana cookin'! :D

And now, their stores are getting larger and larger, and ther're even offering supermarkets with things like Quiznos' attached to them, which is great.

Only a few years ago Rouses had only one store in Thibodaux. They then opened a few stores around the Houma-Thibodaux area, and throughout extreme SE and south Louisiana. Now, their two newest stores are located in Covington and Mandeville, and have a total of 16 stores around New Orleans. Rouses is my favorite grocery store to go to, period. They offer so much stuff, from their "Soup of the Day" and all of their specialty seafood dishes and meat dishes, to the giant crawfish boils and BBQ's that they have outside of their stores. Awesome store. And again, I just love their seafood dishes, they're always fantastic. Their slogan is "Born on the Bayou" and they know their Louisiana cookin'! :D

And now, their stores are getting larger and larger, and ther're even offering supermarkets with things like Quiznos' attached to them, which is great.

That's really cool. There's a Brookshire's down from my office that has a sushi bar in it as well as a Chinese food counter. I think that's a similar concept, except without the Louisiana cuisine. I don't think they offer any Louisiana cuisine.

Oh, and I have the ultimate Quizno's for you... it's in Bossier City and it's attached to one of those little "lube express" businesses!! :lol::lol: I've eaten there many a time after a long workout, though. Too bad they didn't have the north Airline store open when I was still working out. I'll have to start working out again in '07 once they have that store open. :rofl:

Maybe, but I'm not sure. Either way, not a bad view. So you were headed west, but what part of Louisiana?

I actually took that in Mississippi on I-10, but I was only a couple hundred feet from the Louisiana border.

Nope, never heard of Sav-A-Center. As far as I know there aren't any in Arkansas. Brookshire's has been making inroads into southern Arkansas for a while now. Kroger is big I think in most of the state but northern Arkansas. I think Harvest Foods is still around central Arkansas. Brookshires took over a lot of their stores in southern Arkansas. In the northern part of the state Harp's is dominant. Of course there's also Wal-mart although I classify them as more than just a grocery store. In my metro aside from just a handful of miscellaneous stores the only places to go is either Harp's or Wal-mart. None of the bigger chains seem willing to take on Wal-mart in teir backyard.

A slightly different look at Jackson Square in the Saint Louis Cathedral:

Another nice pic Nate. :thumbsup: You guys are so active over here you're already finished with a particular topic and move on to another by the time I have a chance to talk about the first one. :lol:

Another nice pic Nate. :thumbsup: You guys are so active over here you're already finished with a particular topic and move on to another by the time I have a chance to talk about the first one. :lol:

Thanks Rod.

And yea, we seem to jump from topic to topic, no matter what thread we're in, pretty often in here. :lol:

What do you mean we jump from topic to topic!?!?

Nice photo. Were you on an incline?

Beer gives me gas... does it you guys?

What I mean by we jump from topic to topic, is that we jump.....from topic to topic. ;)

And nope, I wasn't on an incline. I took that photo from Washington Artillery Park across from Jackson Square, and used my wide angle lens to give it a bit of a longer effect. :thumbsup:

What I mean by we jump from topic to topic, is that we jump.....from topic to topic. ;)

And nope, I wasn't on an incline. I took that photo from Washington Artillery Park across from Jackson Square, and used my wide angle lens to give it a bit of a longer effect. :thumbsup:

Ahh, cool.

But... does beer give you gas?

:lol: Man I never know what to expect when I come over here. But it's certainly entertaining, I'll give you that. :lol:

:rofl:

How about a few pictures for today from Shreveport?

Abandoned warehouse in north Shreveport's Agurs Industrial District, which soon will be home to Green Agurs Market Place...

171723295.jpg

171723289.jpg

171723292.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy