Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Thanks guys. Here's one I stopped to take this evening as I was on my way to pick up my Chinese takeout. It was about 7:45 pm so the sun was beginning to set. I pulled into the Horseshoe parking garage to take some shots of the CBD skyline, the riverfront skyline, and the Boardwalk area at sunset.

175170686.jpg

As I drove into the parking garage I came across a lady with a Digital Rebel XT like mine, who was taking a photo of the Horseshoe hotel. As I left, I decided she had a good idea as the building looked so perfect in that lighting, so I decided to get the same shot she did... and here it is. ;)

175170671.jpg

FYI... these photos are decent, but I HATE the quality loss that occurs when they're resized and uploaded to the web. The originals are truly breathtaking, in my opinion!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Nice photos Brian. I really like both of them. :thumbsup: Great time of the day too. The Horseshoe and La'berge du lac are the two best looking hotels in the state IMO. I like the density in the CBD . The AmSouth Bank is my favorite, not bec. it's the tallest, but bec. of architectural design. Not a boring box. I like the bridge and the boat and the conservatory.

Awesome shots, Brian! The Shreveport waterfront looks extremely impressive! :D Im curious, does Shreveport have an classical or art deco highrises? They all look so new, which isnt a bad thing at all, Ive just never noticed any.

Oh yes. While Shreveport has lost much of its history to surface parking lots over the years :angry: there are still some really pretty old high-rises downtown. The most well-known and beautiful of Art Deco highrises in Shreveport being the Dean Slattery Building. Here are some photos:

165339716.jpg

165339778.jpg

165339700.jpg

165339763.jpg

165339733.jpg

Sweet shots, man! Its always nice to see clasical and art deco buildings in a cityscape. And I hear ya about those darn surface parking lots! They should be against the law <_<

These two buildings are on Richmond's chopping block :cry:

MCV Towers

Both part of VCU's Medical College of Virginia. The building on the right is already half gone, though from this shot you cant see much. Sorry to post this here, but yesterday was one of the last days youll be able to capture these two buildings together :cry: Both will be replaced by some sleek, new hospital towers.

Edited by TBurban

That's ashame those buildings with the classic architecture have to go like that, all in the name of progress.

Nice pics Brian of the Slattery Bldg. I hope they never tear it down.

Well Baton Rouge would have to rank up there with the best , I mean the worst of them with those dreaded surface parking lots. Tommy, I wish there was a law on limiting those.

Sweet shots, man! Its always nice to see clasical and art deco buildings in a cityscape. And I hear ya about those darn surface parking lots! They should be against the law <_<

MCV Towers

Both part of VCU's Medical College of Virginia. The building on the right is already half gone, though from this shot you cant see much. Sorry to post this here, but yesterday was one of the last days youll be able to capture these two buildings together :cry: Both will be replaced by some sleek, new hospital towers.

Those two buildings are on the chopping block!? With a little innovation, those could be put to great use!! What a shame. If you ever get to visit Hot Springs, AR, take a look at their City Parking garage off the main drag. It's awesome. If my city felt the need to demolish buildings for parking, the least they could do is follow in Hot Springs' footsteps and build something SO beautiful. I have a few pictures of that garage, and if I can remember I'll have to drag them out at some point and post some of them.

Those two buildings are on the chopping block!? With a little innovation, those could be put to great use!! What a shame. If you ever get to visit Hot Springs, AR, take a look at their City Parking garage off the main drag. It's awesome. If my city felt the need to demolish buildings for parking, the least they could do is follow in Hot Springs' footsteps and build something SO beautiful. I have a few pictures of that garage, and if I can remember I'll have to drag them out at some point and post some of them.

Indeed, if they were restored, theyd be gems! Take your time on those Hot Springs photos, though I am very interested when you get a chance :) Also on the chopping block, were:

Hotel John Marshall

Hotel Richmond

Luckily, these were saved. The John Marshall will be apartments and condos, and Hotel Richmond is now owned by the State of Virginia, and is being used for goverment offices.

Nate I can't seem to see the last couple of pics you've posted.

Hmm, they're showing up fine for me. If you get "IPB Image" right click the text, and click "View Image" to see the picture. :thumbsup:

That's really a shame, those look like two very cool buildings, just from seeing them in that picture. And as for surface parking lots, I agree with all of you guys. But that's one thing I like about New Orleans, the density amounts to only a few surface parking lots downtown, and the one's we have downtown are always used. I can't stand seeing surface parking lots that are never used just sit there in a city. Houston for example, has about 10 squre blocks of huge parking lots near the Toyota Center and the Convention Center. When I was staying at the Hilton there last summer, my view looked out right above them towards the skyline, and usually, one of them was full, another was about half full, another had a few cars, and all of the rest were completely empty.

Here's what I'm talking about: Link

If you move around the downtown area, you'll see all of the parking lots everywhere. I love Houston, but some of those lots just have to go.

Compare that to New Orleans: Link

MCV Towers

This replaces the one on the right, and this replaces the one on the left. Feel free to move this to Lagniappe, Nate. Sorry I got a bit sidetracked, caught up in the moment I suppose :lol:

Nice looking pics Nate and Brian. :thumbsup: Nate that last shot has a very interesting look. I guess the architecture makes it seem more European. Brian what's the Dean Slattery Building used for? Nice looking building by the way.

Edited by Mith242