Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Brian what's the Dean Slattery Building used for? Nice looking building by the way.

It's an office building, and the bottom floor houses the building's lobby and a Hallmark walk-up storefront. Next door to Hallmark is a Subway, though I believe the Subway is actually in a different building.

True, although I guess I tend to think more applies more to areas like Bourbon St and such. Interesting to see it pop up in other areas as well.

The French Quarter is certainly were you'll see most of your European architecture, but it's spread around other parts of the city as well. That particular picture was taken in the Warehouse District, which is just upriver from downtown. Google Maps

The French Quarter is certainly were you'll see most of your European architecture, but it's spread around other parts of the city as well. That particular picture was taken in the Warehouse District, which is just upriver from downtown. Google Maps

Thanks for the map. Just out of curiousity could you also point out where exactly Bourbon St is on there also? As much as I've heard about it, I can't really say I know too much about where it is exactly in New Orleans.

Thanks for the map. Just out of curiousity could you also point out where exactly Bourbon St is on there also? As much as I've heard about it, I can't really say I know too much about where it is exactly in New Orleans.

Sure, here it is. Bourbon Street runs southwest-northeast, from Canal Street all the way across the French Quarter until it hits Esplanade Avenue on the opposite end of the Quarter. Most of Bourbon between Canal Street and Orleans street is what it's famous for, strip clubs, bars, and non-stop alcohol. But Bourbon between Orleans and Esplanade for the most part is quiet and mostly residential. This area has a high gay population, with some gay bars and clubs, but again is usually quiet for the most part. Orleans Street literally runs right through the middle of the Quarter, going northwest-southeast, and Bourbon runs right through the middle of the Quarter northeast-southwest. For the most part, Orleans not only divides Bourbon between clubs and residential, but all of the Quarter. You'll find nearly all of the bars and clubs west of Orleans, and nearly everything east of Orleans is residential.

Rod, I recommend zooming in on that map I posted, going to "map" mode, and exploring the area a bit. Everything is labeled, so you might get a good idea of where everything we talk about here is actually located. The Superdome, Jackson Square, Canal Street, the Crescent City Connection, the Causeway, etc. And if you move across Lake Ponchartrain, over the Causeway, you'll see Covington, Mandeville, Madisonville, and Abita Springs, the area I'm frequently talking about. :thumbsup:

No problem, Rod, I hope it helps. :thumbsup:

Here's a shot overlooking the French Quarter from about 100 feet up:

img7287og8.jpg

Hey Fellas, I was in Athens GA over the weekend and while walking down a city block I spot this sign.

Hey bryde, now that I think about it, was "Bourbon Street" the name of a club or a restaurant or something like that, by any chance, and not actually a street?

What a great shot there Nate ! I'm a little jealous though, BR is much more limited. But then again not many cities can compare to the Big Easy. Obviously as to why New Orleans and Charlotte are battling for the South's #5 spot ! :tough: A battle I have tried to avoid I must say.

"Oh no" were my same words like Brian. :o

Edited by richyb83

Thanks for the empathy Rod ! :lol: NW Arkansas is some beautiful country. Springdale, Bentonville and Rogers are really taking off. maybe Belle Vista too? aren't they a very upscale golfing community? I would like to visit, the closest I have come was Eureka Springs and Harrison. :thumbsup:

Well Bella Vista was a fancy retirement community with some golf opportunities. But the funny thing is, as the metro took off just about the rest of the metro outpaced it and soon Bella Vista became one of the cheaper places around the metro to find a home. Eureka Springs certainly is nice. You'll have to see if you can ever make it over into the NWA metro itself one of these days. :D

Very nice pics yall. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

^That's an impressive riverfront in Shreveport with some nice looking hotels. Like the evening time pic too.

^ That's the mid-rise urban core...New Orleans style is for "boxy" high rises, and I respect that. A spire could put One Shell Square easily over 800'ft. But it's just not needed.

That's the mid-rise urban core...New Orleans style is for "boxy" high rises, and I respect that. A spire could put One Shell Square easily over 800'ft. But it's just not needed.

Thanks Richy! I really like that view of downtown New Orleans as it shows you just how dense its urban core really is. And honestly, I like the "boxy" style of New Orleans, both in it's old and new buildings. I really hope we don't get any of these cheap spires being thrown on so many buildings in other cities just to increase the "height". New Orleans is a very boxy city, and I think the buildings blend in with each other well. :thumbsup: