New Orleans to annex St. Bernard parish?

TSmith

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine if NO can get a good plan and good leadership for rebuilding, St. Bernard would benefit from that. Rather than having to reproduce all these plans and commissions and government positions in regards to rebuilding and seperately appeal to the feds for funding, St. Bernard would simply become part of the greater NO rebuilding effort. That is if NO can itself together to do it right. If NO struggles, could be that St. Bernard would be better off rebuilding on it's own.

That is if NO can itself together to do it right. If NO struggles, could be that St. Bernard would be better off rebuilding on it's own.

Exactly, and it looks like Saint Bernard is holding off for a bit, just to see how the major rebuilding projects are handled in New Orleans.

• 1 year later...

I certainly could see both St Bernard Parish and Plaquesmines(possibly) consider doing this. There really are certain benefits for the three of them to do this. I know there is no way that Metairie would join the now smaller New Orleans. But for New Orleans to regain its foothold as well as increase river frontage this would be a win win. Its an interesting idea. I think St bernard should become the Proposed Millenium port people have been talking about forever. Great Location, somewhat protected from hurricanes. Sure a small portion of the parish could be where residents who returned live while the rest is just pure industry without those pesky residents,hahah!

Pro-annexation efforts (if there actually is such a plan being explored) might just hold off for a little while...since according to rumors I've been hearing practically since the flood itself there may not be much in the line of un-encarcerated St. Bernard governmental officials available to talk to once the FBI and other Federal agencies wrap up on-going investigations. LOL

Archived