Top Ten Wish list for Greenville for 2006

GvilleSC

I've been following Columbia's and Spartanburg's wish lists and waiting for someone to start one. I knew it would happen, but it hasn't. So, here's what I'd like to see happen for the Greenville area :) :

1. Greenville's campaign for companies in the county to relocate in downtown to be VERY successful!

2. As a result of number one- many of the proposed towers to be built. (Pinnacle, Broad & Falls..)

3. Greenville's trees to live :unsure:

4. Major announcements for ICAR and Millineum Campus

5. Aggressive annexation by Greenville (of residential areas, but not too much to take away from quality of life- that would make the money be stretched over a larger area and lead to less attention to detail :thumbsup: )

6. Verdae to really take-off. Multiple portions to begin and for sales soar and the development to be red hot!

7. Expanded bus service and increased ridership-- mainly of more middle class and even upper class citizens. Seen as a way of commuting, not as a supplemental transportation system for poor folk.

8. Large attendance at all sporting events- especially The Drive, but also at the Grrrowl games to help the Bilo Center!!!

9. More West End storefronts to receive make-overs and tenants. For the area to become a big shopping Mecca!

10. Corridor revitalization to really take-off and be effective. Laurens Rd, Church St, Rutherford Rd... Although I'm not so worried about Laurens Rd, it's more of a matter of time and when Verdae begins to really take shape.

Hmmm, I might have to make another one later on. But in the mean time, everyone share your wishes for Greenville for this coming year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new skyline will soon begin to appear along I-85 in Greenville. I think this will satisfy most of those dreams. In the distant future, there may be a downtown Greenville skyline visible from I-85, but it will come after much greater growth. Actually there is already a couple of spots on the interstate where you can see the Landmark Building. :shades:

Great list GvilleSC! :thumbsup:

Here are a few more wishes that I would add:

- For the Upstate region to continue to work together for common goals. A closer relationship between Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson and all the burbs in between.

- Knox White to stay in office permanently. (I'm sure all won't agree, but many will).

- A second Whole Foods to open downtown.

- Light rail

- More people downtown riding Segways. :P

- To continue to play up and promote the unique European flair in Greenville.

- Extensions to the greenway system (I know this is underway)

- An observation tower at the top of Roper Mountain (think of the view)

- For all the trees damaged in the recent ice storm to bloom out beautifully....a gorgeous spring 2006.

- For those who can't see the diversity in Greenville, to open their eyes. ;)

385 widened all the way to the county line, I would say all they way 26 but I know thats wishfull thinking, so I'll stick with reality on this one. More flyovers at 85 and 385 to eliminate the weaving patterns. Those of us who drive that stretch can attest. If not for the suicide jockeys trying to get onto an already crowded Woodruff road. At peak the line to get onto Woodruff goes all the way down into the emergency lane and almost into the lane coming onto 385 from 85, hince the flyovers. I know its a wish list for '06 and all that stuff could never be done in a year, I would like to see something started. That's my wish. Another unrelated wish, at least an anouncement of say a 30 story tower, it doens't have to be 50... yet. I would much rather see the skyline gradually growing higher than just go from 22 to 50 in a single bound it would look so out of place. So 30 would be great, then '07 maybe 35 or even 40.

385 widened all the way to the county line, I would say all they way 26 but I know thats wishfull thinking, so I'll stick with reality on this one. More flyovers at 85 and 385 to eliminate the weaving patterns. Those of us who drive that stretch can attest. If not for the suicide jockeys trying to get onto an already crowded Woodruff road. At peak the line to get onto Woodruff goes all the way down into the emergency lane and almost into the lane coming onto 385 from 85, hince the flyovers. I know its a wish list for '06 and all that stuff could never be done in a year, I would like to see something started. That's my wish. Another unrelated wish, at least an anouncement of say a 30 story tower, it doens't have to be 50... yet. I would much rather see the skyline gradually growing higher than just go from 22 to 50 in a single bound it would look so out of place. So 30 would be great, then '07 maybe 35 or even 40.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

That would be great!

Another downtown department store (as I consider Mast to be one) should be feasible and I hope one comes. I think that a department store chain such as Belk or Parisian wouldn't do one on its own; it would take a big push from city government and private developers, perhaps with some public funding for parking garages or the like. I hope that the ball gets rolling on this, as I shop pretty much only at department stores and don't want to have to go to Haywood to find one.

Mayor White told me that major retail is one of the top priorities on the city's agenda. He said that they are trying very hard to attract them and feel they are very close. The number one ingredient in finally sealing the deal is downtown residential development. He said that when more people make the move into downtown and the West End, it will definitely happen. Apparently there is already at least one major retailer ready to take a spot on South Main Street in the West End. :D

Mayor White told me that major retail is one of the top priorities on the city's agenda. He said that they are trying very hard to attract them and feel they are very close. The number one ingredient in finally sealing the deal is downtown residential development. He said that when more people make the move into downtown and the West End, it will definitely happen. Apparently there is already at least one major retailer ready to take a spot on South Main Street in the West End. :D

Which retailer? That's great news!

As I've often stated, Greenville's downtown has been very successful in attracting upscale gift shop-type stores, one by one. I hope that the city pushes development of a larger project downtown, perhaps with tenants such as a Jillian's (unless the same people who shot that down years ago oppose it again), a small Parisian, an IMAX theater, a Borders Books, etc. I think that would do well.

Which retailer? That's great news!

As I've often stated, Greenville's downtown has been very successful in attracting upscale gift shop-type stores, one by one. I hope that the city pushes development of a larger project downtown, perhaps with tenants such as a Jillian's (unless the same people who shot that down years ago oppose it again), a small Parisian, an IMAX theater, a Borders Books, etc. I think that would do well.

It not that they oppose Jillians, it was they just opposed it in that spot. But it would have to be a Dave & Busters, there are no Jillians anymore, they are Dave & Busters.

I would really like to see a nice aquarium downtown somewhere. Somewhere not too far out of the popular areas, yet still somewhere that would spur growth and extend the pedestrian area. I think it would be a nice attraction for us! :thumbsup:

Aquariums are cool, but I think they are being overhyped right now, especially since Atlanta got one.

Archived