Top Ten Wish list for Greenville for 2006

GvilleSC

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

BUMP!

Ok, so, we're halfway through 2006... thus far, what have we seen happen that we wanted to see happen (listed on here or not)? Also, what have we seen happen or announced that was unforseen? And when it's all balanced out (what we wanted and what we've gotten) who is satisfied?

I'll start off.

---We've gotten baseball downtown in the West End. I have to admit that it's been a bigger success than I've ever thought possible. It has been a catalyst for numerous other development and redevelopments down that way on Main and on Augusta Streets (among others).

---The Grand Peacock was announced last week. And from our discussions, it's apparent that this was not envisioned by anyone of us. A 5-star hotel is definitely a huge plus and one that was not on our wishlists.

---We've seen "strides" toward mass transit. The tram that will run from TR to Downtown Greenville was announced and the CAT bus system is adding a line to connect to Greenville. We all knew that an entire rail system would NOT be up and running this year for obvious reasons (like time frame and funding and planning), but these are steps toward that goal that we set.

---We've yet to see the construction on any proposed towers, but have heard encouraging words through g-man's emails... And while we've yet to see towers rising from the dirt, McBee Station is undergoing sitework in preparation for construction that will begin soon. Riverplace is up and running with FOUR completed buildings, including downtown's newest hotel, Hampton Inn & Suites, and construction is taking place on the Terrace at Riverplace. Also downtown, there's the West End cottages that are moving right along, as well was Pendleton West.

---We've heard about two 7-story "towers" coming to 385 at Midtown and possibly two (atleast one) towers coming to 385 at the Greenville Mall Site.

---ICAR- BMW is open and running, Collaboration 3 is nearing completion, and the Parking Garage and Clemson's Graduate School of Automotive Engineering are under construction.

---Also, South Financial made an announcement to expand and make major investments in Greenville.

I'll stop now, but I'm looking forward to what yall have to add! It's really been a great year so far, looking back. I can't wait to see what August through December hold for us, including the US Pro Cycling event. :yahoo:

I'd like to see the 123 corridor streetscaped, it will happen eventually. Streetscaping always brings new development, I don't know why it isn't done more often, other than financial costs but still it pays for itself. I think it would be a prime area to add affordable housing.

BUMP!

Ok, so, we're halfway through 2006... thus far, what have we seen happen that we wanted to see happen (listed on here or not)? Also, what have we seen happen or announced that was unforseen? And when it's all balanced out (what we wanted and what we've gotten) who is satisfied?

I'll start off.

---

---The Grand Peacock was announced last week. And from our discussions, it's apparent that this was not envisioned by anyone of us. A 5-star hotel is definitely a huge plus and one that was not on our wishlists.

---

---

---

---

---

I can actually claim part of this one. :whistling: I did ask for a 5-diamond hotel/resort with a convention center. Looks like we've got the 5-diamond hotel part, and I am satisfied with that. :D

Is it a definite that at least one tower will go up at Gville Mall? I hadn't heard that, but I don't have as much time to read posts, plus I was on vacation a week ago. I thought the office and residential tower were both tentative.

It seems like the residential would be more concrete atleast. The corporation hasn't committed... But nothing is definite until the shovel is in the ground... right?

I can actually claim part of this one. :whistling: I did ask for a 5-diamond hotel/resort with a convention center. Looks like we've got the 5-diamond hotel part, and I am satisfied with that. :D

Hey, sorry. I didn't read through all the post again :rolleyes: .

Also here's an addition- We found out that the city is wanting to develop City Hall Plaza. Another 2006 positive. :) hopefully we'll hear something soon!

Based on GvilleSC's list, we have seen another year of major announcements (last year as well), but have yet to really see many of them come to fruition. Many of the announced projects from last year died or have yet to start (though some of them were supposed to be complete by now). But, it sounds like many of this year's anouncements are more solid, and more likely to happen. I still think that by Christmas 2008 our DT will look much better, be more spread out, and be a few steps closer having the kind of skyline we all want. But I think it is safe to say it won't happen by the end of 2006. :) Hey, keep the announcements coming, the more the merrier :wub:

Based on GvilleSC's list, we have seen another year of major announcements (last year as well), but have yet to really see many of them come to fruition. Many of the announced projects from last year died or have yet to start (though some of them were supposed to be complete by now). But, it sounds like many of this year's anouncements are more solid, and more likely to happen. I still think that by Christmas 2008 our DT will look much better, be more spread out, and be a few steps closer having the kind of skyline we all want. But I think it is safe to say it won't happen by the end of 2006. :) Hey, keep the announcements coming, the more the merrier :wub:

I agree! Greenville is "hot" right now, but at the rate it is beginning to take off, we can legitimately expect to see the city become a "blazing wildfire" of growth in the next decade, barring any major economic catastrophes like the ones on 9/11/2001. As Mayor Knox White said recently, Downtown Greenville "is emerging as a destination downtown, and there may be some people out there who still don't believe it, but that's how we're evolving."

As we continue to witness this growth, I hope the naysayers will begin to diminish in number. The ones visiting every week are experiencing this in person and are not remaining silent about their first impressions. Many are making life-changing decisions to move here because they have found a warm "Welcome Home" in Greenville. Just wait until they see our wish list and the wishes that have been granted rather appropriately. :D

• 3 months later...

Okay, this thread needed a bump... and I had something to add. RT and others have mentioned that Greenville needs a real chocolatier in downtown, so I thought I would give a link to a national chain that is exactly what we need here.

Kilwin's is both a chocolate shop and an ice cream shop in one. The quality is second to none, IMO, and the scope is perfect for our fair city. I presume it would be an easy fit here, especially considering they have a couple locations in the lowcountry already. However, they need our encouragement! I have provided the link to their official website, but now it is everyone's duty to bug the daylights out of them to consider opening up a store on Main Street here in Greenville. :thumbsup:

That looks like a neat chain, Skyliner! I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up if someone took out a franchise and opened up one on Main Street. However, I was thinking more along the lines of the Chocolate Fetish in Asheville. It'd be great if they would open up another location here in Greenville. That place rocks.

Here's a chain restaurant that I'd like to see come to Greenville (perhaps Shops at Gridlock or the Point): Elephant Bar.

That looks like a neat chain, Skyliner! I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up if someone took out a franchise and opened up one on Main Street. However, I was thinking more along the lines of the Chocolate Fetish in Asheville. It'd be great if they would open up another location here in Greenville. That place rocks.

Here's a chain restaurant that I'd like to see come to Greenville (perhaps Shops at Gridlock or the Point): Elephant Bar.

Okay, this thread needed a bump... and I had something to add. RT and others have mentioned that Greenville needs a real chocolatier in downtown, so I thought I would give a link to a national chain that is exactly what we need here.

Kilwin's is both a chocolate shop and an ice cream shop in one. The quality is second to none, IMO, and the scope is perfect for our fair city. I presume it would be an easy fit here, especially considering they have a couple locations in the lowcountry already. However, they need our encouragement! I have provided the link to their official website, but now it is everyone's duty to bug the daylights out of them to consider opening up a store on Main Street here in Greenville. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
I've been following Columbia's and Spartanburg's wish lists and waiting for someone to start one. I knew it would happen, but it hasn't. So, here's what I'd like to see happen for the Greenville area :) :

1. Greenville's campaign for companies in the county to relocate in downtown to be VERY successful!

2. As a result of number one- many of the proposed towers to be built. (Pinnacle, Broad & Falls..)

3. Greenville's trees to live :unsure:

4. Major announcements for ICAR and Millineum Campus

5. Aggressive annexation by Greenville (of residential areas, but not too much to take away from quality of life- that would make the money be stretched over a larger area and lead to less attention to detail :thumbsup: )

6. Verdae to really take-off. Multiple portions to begin and for sales soar and the development to be red hot!

7. Expanded bus service and increased ridership-- mainly of more middle class and even upper class citizens. Seen as a way of commuting, not as a supplemental transportation system for poor folk.

8. Large attendance at all sporting events- especially The Drive, but also at the Grrrowl games to help the Bilo Center!!!

9. More West End storefronts to receive make-overs and tenants. For the area to become a big shopping Mecca!

10. Corridor revitalization to really take-off and be effective. Laurens Rd, Church St, Rutherford Rd... Although I'm not so worried about Laurens Rd, it's more of a matter of time and when Verdae begins to really take shape.

Hmmm, I might have to make another one later on. But in the mean time, everyone share your wishes for Greenville for this coming year.

Archived