Granholm Screws West Michigan Again

GaryP

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were all better then you

yeah, that really makes you sound better...

Might want to get that ego in check. last I saw, Detroit was either the worst or second worst city in the nation - along all indicators. I would say at this point, the only city that could possibly be clearly worse is New Orleans - but at least they have an excuse. Detroit and the surrounding area get more than their share of State and Federal revenue yet year after year prove to be morons when they piss it away or just plain lose it to corruption.

I have worked politics in quite a few big cities (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, etc...) and Detroit is bar none the most corrupt politcal wasteland in America. Sadly, the people keep re-electing those that do the most screwing. Amazing what the same promised will get you every four years. Even more amazing is the fact that the people on the East side forget that these same promise are made and broken every cycle.

To keep from being overly political, I will not mention the party which is at the heart of corruption in the East side of the State. Their fifty year track record clearly speaks for itself.

I say if you can have North and South Dakota, North and South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia...why don't we just separate Michigan as West Michigan, East Michigan, and North Michigan (UP)....Then we can all take care of our problems more locally...

I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but damn sometimes people just need to grow up and work together, ya know?

I think you are exactly right. By amending the bill to apply only to Kent County, Kooiman accomplished 2 things: It got the bill to the governor, which apparently wouldn't have happened if it was broader. And second, it put Granholm in the politically uncomfortable position of signing it and pissing off metro Detroit, or vetoing it and pissing off metro GR. Since she isn't probably going to do that well in GR anyways against DeVos in '06, maybe she just decided to cut her losses.

Kooiman is a sleazy (word I wont use) anyway. Him and DeRoche. I'd seriously put the blame squarely on those two for this mess. They remind me of the kid who would tattle on other kids, only so that the adults in charge would look the other way when they misbehave.

The mess may have been theirs to start, but it was a mess finished by Granholm.

Its about time some one cleaned it up then eh?

I'm tired of this Bashing of the Governor, people don't want to look into the real detail fine, but if you wont even investigate a little further, do everyone a favor and DONT VOTE.

^Please digress on the details.

Anyways--Today I was at the 54th st Meijer's and I saw that some minivan had a bumber sticker that read: "Dump Grandholm -- She craped on our transit." I was thinking that one of you forumers where at Meijer's! I was also thinking, "Holy crap the UP folks won't believe what I found!"

Rise above o' fellow Planeteers! Do not fall for the fascist machinations of the Michigan East/West who sucks more debate. Do not fall for the zero sum rantings of the purveyors of zero government status quo. This deal must get done. This deal will get done if we tell our elected representatives that this deal is more important than their party line wankings. This deal will get done if we hold Jerry and Jenny acountable.

But please also, let's not delude our Urban Environment loving selves into thinking that somehow our cities will be held under a more constructive curatorial eye by the current Republican candidate for governor - his family's work against public education is concern enough. Jenny has, with almost no resources, brought urban issues back for constructive discussion at the State level for the first time in many administrations. We must beware.

Welcome archiboy! You do make a point about Devos and public education. I have been at odds with this, but he makes statments that he will not touch public education. I can't trust that, that is my fear.

Of course that is the problem. We need our state to do much, much more than 'not touch' public education. They will not touch our public education to death.

Well she is the governor, its like sending the President email. Someone that high in government won't read individual letters much less respond to them.

One tip: You would be more productive to voice your opinion through Ehlers, or Sak, or some other representive in the area. These folks responded to me and they are always heard by the governor...

First, an introduction:

Although I'm not currently in Michigan (off at college), I'm a registered voter there and a Michigander through and through. My Grandfather worked for GM, my uncles work for GM, my dad worked in Ford Hospital. I claim I'm from Detroit, but like everybody else, I'm actually from a suburb. Street credit established, moving on.

The rapid narrowing of the bill to apply to strictly Kent county may seem irrelevant to the issue of Grand Rapids receiving Light Rail (for those crying out that we could have 2 separate pieces of legislation for both proposed transit projects), but in actuality, satisfying the western half of the state removes that half's stake in a future, all encompassing bill. We know that Detroit area Republicans would certainly prioritize the auto-companies concerns (Hell, many of the Dems on the east side would as well). Where is the incentive for the in-power Republicans of west Michigan to vote for progress in the east as well as the west if they have what they want?

As we have already seen, this narrowing was a win/win situation for those who enacted it. With the veto, I have personally seen Granholm supporters my age switch loyalty. It looks to me like a political master-stroke, putting Granholm between a rock and hard place. When I heard the news myself, before reading all of the viewpoints here presented, I was ready to change my party affiliation.

However, given that this bill was essentially killed by those who would benefit from it (when taken in it's mindful, political context), one can't assume political purity.

Who rides the bus anyway? Those who fall in the critical demographic for Grand Rapids to grow and be a community rather than a retirement club or suburban wasteland. If the city wants to keep it's young blood, it will improve mass transit. Maybe people my age haven't become paranoid and obsessed enough with social stigma, but I find an inexpensive bus ride to be a luxury and a social and environmental boon. Anybody in this thread who doubts the value of Light Rail ought to be glad that Granholm killed the bill, and should cease partisan arguing via playing both sides of the issue.

Light Rail is faster, more convenient, and largely free of stigma (read: most White people are more comfortable with it). There are racial elements to the debate on public transportation.

One final piece of hearsay:

I was informed by a friend that the decision making commission behind west Michigan's transportation issues is not headed by the mayor of Grand Rapids (as would make sense for a metro area) but by the mayor of Grandville. Grandville is the site of the recently constructed South Beltline, bound to be as big of a magnet for suburban sprawl as the original Beltline.

Why stifle the growth of this brand new artery for big boxes by putting dollars downtown? The quick buck is made outside of the city.

When people claim that the money could be better spent elsewhere, is this what you mean? If not, lets hear a proposal.

Although I make no claims about some conspiratorial connection between the Republicans in legislature and the mayor of Grandville, I think that this is further proof of the bizarre imbalance between suburb and city which leads to Michigan's cities rotting from the inside out.

Grand Rapids has a shot at becoming one of the most important cities in the midwest. Now is not the time for selfish political maneuvering in the name of partisan politics. The decisions made in the next 4 to 8 years will decide whether young people in college like myself consider coming back and contributing to the state upon graduating. Otherwise, I'll join the legions of classmates and peers who have left Michigan for greener pastures in Chicago, a hop skip and a jump away.

First, an introduction:

Although I'm not currently in Michigan (off at college), I'm a registered voter there and a Michigander through and through. My Grandfather worked for GM, my uncles work for GM, my dad worked in Ford Hospital. I claim I'm from Detroit, but like everybody else, I'm actually from a suburb. Street credit established, moving on.

The rapid narrowing of the bill to apply to strictly Kent county may seem irrelevant to the issue of Grand Rapids receiving Light Rail (for those crying out that we could have 2 separate pieces of legislation for both proposed transit projects), but in actuality, satisfying the western half of the state removes that half's stake in a future, all encompassing bill. We know that Detroit area Republicans would certainly prioritize the auto-companies concerns (Hell, many of the Dems on the east side would as well). Where is the incentive for the in-power Republicans of west Michigan to vote for progress in the east as well as the west if they have what they want?

As we have already seen, this narrowing was a win/win situation for those who enacted it. With the veto, I have personally seen Granholm supporters my age switch loyalty. It looks to me like a political master-stroke, putting Granholm between a rock and hard place. When I heard the news myself, before reading all of the viewpoints here presented, I was ready to change my party affiliation.

However, given that this bill was essentially killed by those who would benefit from it (when taken in it's mindful, political context), one can't assume political purity.

Who rides the bus anyway? Those who fall in the critical demographic for Grand Rapids to grow and be a community rather than a retirement club or suburban wasteland. If the city wants to keep it's young blood, it will improve mass transit. Maybe people my age haven't become paranoid and obsessed enough with social stigma, but I find an inexpensive bus ride to be a luxury and a social and environmental boon. Anybody in this thread who doubts the value of Light Rail ought to be glad that Granholm killed the bill, and should cease partisan arguing via playing both sides of the issue.

Light Rail is faster, more convenient, and largely free of stigma (read: most White people are more comfortable with it). There are racial elements to the debate on public transportation.

One final piece of hearsay:

I was informed by a friend that the decision making commission behind west Michigan's transportation issues is not headed by the mayor of Grand Rapids (as would make sense for a metro area) but by the mayor of Grandville. Grandville is the site of the recently constructed South Beltline, bound to be as big of a magnet for suburban sprawl as the original Beltline.

Why stifle the growth of this brand new artery for big boxes by putting dollars downtown? The quick buck is made outside of the city.

When people claim that the money could be better spent elsewhere, is this what you mean? If not, lets hear a proposal.

Although I make no claims about some conspiratorial connection between the Republicans in legislature and the mayor of Grandville, I think that this is further proof of the bizarre imbalance between suburb and city which leads to Michigan's cities rotting from the inside out.

Grand Rapids has a shot at becoming one of the most important cities in the midwest. Now is not the time for selfish political maneuvering in the name of partisan politics. The decisions made in the next 4 to 8 years will decide whether young people in college like myself consider coming back and contributing to the state upon graduating. Otherwise, I'll join the legions of classmates and peers who have left Michigan for greener pastures in Chicago, a hop skip and a jump away.

Welcome John! I agree with that, except I missed the Grandville connection :huh:

Yah I missed that one too... Well put John. Seriously, Grand Rapids in its current teir position on having the "shot at becoming one of the most important cities in the midwest." is quite a stretch, even in the next 4 to 8 years. I hope your right though.

There is no doubt that the quick buck is made outside of the city. Look at the explosion of new development along the M-6 corridor since it was completed. This "public investment" of highway construction will suck development farther away from the city, in the form of big boxes, strip centers and fry pits. It may also negatively effect the 28th street corridor, by pulling businesses away from 28th street. M-6 is a catalyst for sprawl, moving more and more services, businesses and people away from the city.

Hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent to create this highway, while our transit systems fall deeper and deeper into substandard service. Hundreds of more millions of dollars will be spent building new highways and "improving" existing highways in the short term, all in the name of public investment. As soon as money is earmarked for transit, it is re-termed public subsidy. We as a state, and as a nation, have a priority; and it is not transit.

This highway investment is short sighted. We, as a nation, can not continue our over reliance on the automobile. It is not sustainable.

It is unfortunate that the issue of transit is boiled down to the East side of the state vs. the West side of the state. It really is not that simple. We need the state, as a whole, to move toward transit, not just the Grand Rapids metropolitan area or just Detroit. We, as citizens of this state, need the whole state to have a sustainable form of transportation. A healthy Detroit makes for a healthier Grand Rapids and vice-versa.

This may be more of a city vs. suburb issue, as a previous poster mentioned. Many of our elected officials do not understand the city, I think that the governor as proven that the city is important to her administration. She has set up funding that attempts to aid neighborhoods and cities, she understands that without the city, the suburbs will not exist. Other politicians have not proven this. Other politicians, including a majority of them in Detroit, are biased toward the suburbs and suburban growth, because, again, the easy money is there. "Growth" is there. The deep pocket constituents are there.

If anybody thinks that the Republican candidate is going to put a premium on the urban environments, think again. He is no friend to the city. He will be suburban biased.

The only thing we will be getting is more highways, more big boxes and more suburban and exurban growth, all for the sake of growth.

"Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell"

Edward Abbey

Archived