Granholm Screws West Michigan Again

GaryP

IMO there are two possible reasons for Kooiman changing the bill:

1. The bill would not have passed if it included the metro Detroit region

2. Kooiman did this as a favor to DeRoche (Republican House Speaker from Novi who opposes the Ann Arbor to Detroit route)

In scenario #1 Kooiman did what he had to to help West Michigan get the BRT and Granholm royally screwed our city over.

In scenario #2 Kooiman and DeRoche blackballed Ann Arbor and Detroit (both pretty liberal if you see that as a motivator).

I believe the first scenario happened for a couple of reasons. First of all Kooiman is obviously a supporter of 'fixed route' mass transit; I believe he would be in favor of Metro D's project for the same reasons he supports ours.

Second, if the original bill (including the Metro D counties) would have passed, Granholm could have pushed through another piece of legislation doing the same thing for Metro Detroit with the same amount of effort she is putting into re-passing the vetoed bill that re-includes the metro Detroit counties. Granted, having two bills would have been 'bad' legislation, but it definitely would have been worth not putting Grand Rapid's chance at 'fixed route' mass transit in jeopardy, which it now is.

Either way DeRoche is a scumbag and Granholm doesn't give two sh*ts about west Michigan. She may have ruined our chances for this money. Even if everything works out, I still think she sh*t on us once again.

I'm sorry this is so wordy :blush:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question is how many of you folks have an unbiased objectivity regarding the veto? Whats best for the whole may not be good for some parts of the whole and whats good for some parts of the whole may not be good for the whole. As Govenor.....one should always support that which betters the whole. Many of you have written off the East side and you want the Govenor to do the same when the truth is that the collective fate of the state is most profoundly determined by Metro Detroit.

Yah, let Metro Detroit decide for us... Let us see if our big brother fends for us.

Well...sometimes money is better spent making the mortgage payment, that supports the collective, than to spend money to buy little Jonny that motorized scooter that he wants so badly. The decisions that are made at the top must put the interest of the collective over that of component entities.

Well...sometimes money is better spent making the mortgage payment, that supports the collective, than to spend money to buy little Jonny that motorized scooter that he wants so badly. The decisions that are made at the top must put the interest of the collective over that of component entities.

I don't follow your analogy. I still have yet to see it reported that any state money match is required for the 14 million from the Feds to design the system.

Why not pass this legislation for Kent County only and when something is needed later amend the law? Could this just avoid the pain and suffering of having to back to the drawing board and resubmitting language?

That would work just fine. I don't know if you can amend the legislation, but you could just pass another bill that straightens things out. This has basically been my argument.

Why not pass this legislation for Kent County only and when something is needed later amend the law? Could this just avoid the pain and suffering of having to back to the drawing board and resubmitting language?

Why not do it now, and avoid the hassle of trying to reneg it later?

Continuing with the stupid analogy...

I think that Mommy should have let Jonny get his Scooter because he is such a good boy. His big brother apparently hasn't shown that he can handle all the responsibility that goes along with scooter ownership. Just because Jonny's big brother is a big, needy oaf shouldn't prevent Jonny from getting a scooter for behaving so well, should it? Besides, it doesn't cost mommy anything, so she can make the mortgage payment anyways.

ITP has to show the feds that they are capable of matching the 14.4 million to continue. They cannot match it in 5 years, but they can match it in 25 years. But "Mommy" said NO JONNY, NO SCOOTER FOR YOU!

All right, this is getting stupid so I'll stop. :P

Little Jonny was indeed a metaphor for Grand Rapids (area). Detroit (area) could be seen as the older more mature sibling who works to contribute more to the mortgage....and thus....his/her transportation needs should take precedence over that of less mature, though up and coming, siblings.

Obviously there was a COST to the State in some respect.....for some reason I have a hard time accepting that the Govenor was motivated by spite. There had to have been a benefit cost analysis.

In fact, if Granholm were smart she would have done this, then pointed the partisan finger. That way she still calls the republicans out for their games and doesn't screw west michigan over.

My thoughts too Gary

Yah, but what if big brother can't run the system as great as Jonny can? You have a growth tool wasted on big brother just because hes big brother. I see your point, but it dosen't fly if your continuing on with the analogy... In all of this its really stupid.

Continuing with the stupid analogy...

I think that Mommy should have let Jonny get his Scooter because he is such a good boy. His big brother apparently hasn't shown that he can handle all the responsibility that goes along with scooter ownership. Just because Jonny's big brother is a big, needy oaf shouldn't prevent Jonny from getting a scooter for behaving so well, should it? Besides, it doesn't cost mommy anything, so she can make the mortgage payment anyways.

ITP has to show the feds that they are capable of matching the 14.4 million to continue. They cannot match it in 5 years, but they can match it in 25 years. But "Mommy" said NO JONNY, NO SCOOTER FOR YOU!

All right, this is getting stupid so I'll stop. :P

Maybe there would be a slippery slope created from a precedent of allowing the normative 5 years being stretched to 25 years. I am sure everyone would then want such a break for one of their pet projects.

West Michigan should break away from the rest of the State. If these East side politicians keep it up soon this will be as big of a dump as the entire East side.

Perhaps that is their goal. After all, misery loves company...

I'm all for this.... What should we call our state? What are the state boundaries? Someone set up a website...

A light rail system from A2 to downtown Detroit will not fly. The powers-that-be in Oakland and Macomb Counties would not allow it.

Now if they all could agree to connect Pontiac, Warren, A2, Livonia, Troy, Royal Oak, Allen Park and the Airport via light rail to the People Mover, we may be on to something. But let's face it, even the People Mover doesn't really go anywhere. If I'm staying at the RenCen Marriott, I don't mind walking to Greektown or to the Joe/Cobo.

Further, let's say you live in Lowell, Byron Center, Rockford or Coopersville. Where will you take the "train?" It's not like you live within walking distance. I guess, if I did live within walking distance to the "train" station, I'd occasionally head out to Grand Haven for the helluvit.

Or a Griffs game downtown. If I had to drive to the "train" station, I'd drive downtown anyway. Parking withing 1/2 mile to Ford Field is $30. Parking within 1/4 mile of Van Andel is what, $8? Cripes, I don't even keep track, it's rediculously low compared to Detroit or Chicago.

Oh yeah, when was the last time any of us rode the city bus?

Quite a chess match in Lansing right now. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Archived