The right place for religion

Go Gators

Sorry, I have been away a couple of days. But I must defend myself now.

As stated earlier, although that scripture was not a direct quote from Jesus himself, the Bible is his teaching to us, inspired by him. Sorry to disagree with you Lady Celeste, but disingenious doesnt describe this situation.

And to Ebony Gardens, as for being called a "moron," I can assure you I am much more educated than yourself. You really should watch comments like that. I am quite aware that I do just as much wrong as the next person. I do not need, nor have time for immature comments like those you have made. Congratulations on your 100 posts/day, may I reccomend you find a job, and contibute to this great nation.

Thats all...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I have been away a couple of days. But I must defend myself now.

There is no need to defend yourself sweetie. I know that I am the last person to be against you during such a topic.

As stated earlier, although that scripture was not a direct quote from Jesus himself, the Bible is his teaching to us, inspired by him. Sorry to disagree with you Lady Celeste, but disingenious doesnt describe this situation.
Well we both will have to disagree with each other because for you to attribute Paul's writings to the church as words that Jesus directly said is in fact disingenious. When someone mentioned Jesus and his words on the matter, you listed scriptures that you attributed to his words. That was not straighforward. We both can have a discussion on religion. It really doesn't bother me. If I told of how varied my own family has become religion wise through marriage, I can pretty much discuss most of them...I do not run from sticky topics if they are handled properly but the fact of the matter is that this is not just a board to promote our personal views (that do no pretain to urban development). In fact, I came to Mr Cathy's and Chik-fil-a's defense.

And to Ebony Gardens, as for being called a "moron," I can assure you.....

We will not allow personal attacks here. Ebonygarden should not have called you a moron...although she did not directly call you a moron...I can see how one would gather that. You have every right to believe whatever you believe. All I was asking is that if we are going to attribute qoutes to any religious leader of the Bible, Torah or Karan, that we please have direct proof of said words. Quite honestly, as in corporate America, I really could say that topics in relation to sex, religion and politics are not allowed. Since I'm not the CEO of Atlanta (that's Shirley Franklin) I can only monitor what is said. If you took my words offensively then by all means please accept my apology. My purpose for posting what I said is because there are many times that people attribute what they see on the internet as truth. Now what is someone who is not learned in the Word say your post and directly attirbuted those words to Jesus. Now we have someone professing something that is not true....and that is not straghtforward...it was trying to promote Jesus's stance on the matter and that was not candid.

Well put, although I still believe everything in the Bible is there because G-d put it there. But well put indeed. And yes, I did take it as her personally calling me a moron.

Ive become more and more tired of people bashing christianity and saying it has no place in America, citing the 1st Amendment. Well, we must remember that, the same 1st Amendment protects christianity equally as much.

Yes but there's a separation of church and state. You're right, religion is protected, but so is the right to not have to deal with it in secular life. Up in DC the very people who keep religion out of schools and Government places are in fact religious people. I know it sometimes seems like they're trying to stomp out Christianity and all religion but they're not. They're just keeping it out of our secular lives, and hey- It's better than a government trying to force religion down our throat. We're very lucky in America to be able to worship as we please and pray and lead a religious life, and that comes from a delicate balance of Church and State. I love America and I love my religion; This is a rare place where it's acceptable to love both!

I am going to step into this conversation as the site admin.

Well put, although I still believe everything in the Bible is there because G-d put it there. But well put indeed. And yes, I did take it as her personally calling me a moron.

Ive become more and more tired of people bashing christianity and saying it has no place in America, citing the 1st Amendment. Well, we must remember that, the same 1st Amendment protects christianity equally as much.

First, for someone who just came off a suspension for arguing with the staff here your continued "preaching" is not a step in the right direction. You are entitled to your beliefs. You are not entitled to push those beliefs on others here which is what you are doing. The 1st amendment does not protect using religious beliefs to attack others and the 1st amendment has no bearing here as the site rules govern what you are allowed to post.

Using Christian scripture to attack Gays as you did goes down as a personal attack on others here and debases the religion as well. If you do it again I am going to ban you. If you get into another argument with the staff I am going to ban you. I hope that is clear enough for you this time. This is not an attack on Christanity as I am sure you will make it out to be, but rather a reminder of the rules that we have on this forum. And since we are stating beliefs here, it's my belief that people who are truely faithful don't care about the sexuality of others and there are many good Christians that fall into this category.

Wow, sorry i started all this. I do have to say one more thing though. To the guy that suggested I say Merru Christmas instead of Happy Hollidays. This season is much more than just Christmas to many people in this country. Remember there are other religions than just yours. I have Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Christian and Athiest friends and to those with an open mind I was wishing a happy holliday.

Wow, sorry i started all this. I do have to say one more thing though. To the guy that suggested I say Merru Christmas instead of Happy Hollidays. This season is much more than just Christmas to many people in this country. Remember there are other religions than just yours. I have Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Christian and Athiest friends and to those with an open mind I was wishing a happy holliday.
To me that makes sense. Many religions and cultures have traditionally celebrated toward the end of the year and I wish the best to all of them, including Christians, of course.

I admit I don't even consider Xmas a christian holiday anymore, so it doesn't bother me to say merry christmas. Considering christmas' pagan traditions - it shouldn't be a surprise.

But it just proves even non-believers like me can enjoy christmas, because you get crap & what you don't like you give it to someone else ;)

I'll have to admit I don't understand why some folks angrily insist on everyone saying "Merry Christmas." I don't hear people from other faiths and traditions demanding that we only refer to their religious holiday.

While I personally observe Christmas, to me it seems sensible to use a more generic holiday greeting which includes everyone rather than demanding that everybody do it my way. When people tell me "Happy Holidays!", it just makes me feel good and it doesn't feel like an intrusion on my religious beliefs at all.

No need to start an argument about this but why do people on here hyphenate God's name? Should we be timid and emabarrassed of the one that created us and this world for our existence? I feel that this board should be a place to discuss urban topics without being prosecuted or play 20 questions about one's own religion, beliefs, values, or any other thing that makes us for who we are. All I ask is why? :blink:

(Note to Admin and all who are concerned, I am not looking for a way to "shine" on here but jut asking a simple question that I hope I don't get banned or suspended for, if that were to happen that would be very odd) :wacko:

No need to start an argument about this but why do people on here hyphenate God's name? Should we be timid and emabarrassed of the one that created us and this world for our existence? I feel that this board should be a place to discuss urban topics without being prosecuted or play 20 questions about one's own religion, beliefs, values, or any other thing that makes us for who we are. All I ask is why? :blink:

(Note to Admin and all who are concerned, I am not looking for a way to "shine" on here but jut asking a simple question that I ope I don't get banned or suspended for, if that were to happen that would be very odd) :wacko:

When you say why does some hyphenate G-d's name what do you mean?

Just exactly what you did ex: "G-d" :)

Okay, I'm not really familiar with Winston-Salem so I don't know how diverse it is there....surely you have come across someone who has done this before now.

It's not that we are ashamed of our maker and Most on High....in fact it's quite the opposite. It's a level of most high respect. I gather that in some forms of Christianity most denominations don't do this but in Orthodox Judaism the idea is that we as mere humans are not worthy enough to even utter His name. To write it in text form merely lowers His infinite perfection to our level. Think about it....just look at the world....we are so far from His Kingdom on Earth...and it's not just about one group of people because we all fall short of G-d's glory. Each and every one of us has a journey that we should be on.....that's why I try my best never to judge anyone. G-d knows my heart and he knows my weakness.....He is the Alpha and the Omega.....He knew everything about me before it happened....how dare me even utter His name....by the way....if you really want to call Him by His name, you won't even call Him G-d....there is another name that is mentioned countless times in the Torah (Old Testament)...hint hint....it starts with a J.

I have stayed out of this until now...but I feel I must.

1) Not allowing religious symbols in public spaces does not amount to a war on Christianity. Christians are still allowed, even encoureged, to worship as they see fit. No one is trying to take away your freedom of religion, we are just saying that you are not allowed to practice that religion on property that belongs to everyone (including non-Christians) just as no other religion should be allowed to worship on public property. We, and by we I mean society, do not allow sex in public places, but that does not mean we are anti sex (and no, I am not comparing religion to sex, just an example)

2) The following is my personal opinion...Why must I join hundreds or thousands of others to have a relationship with my god (lower case because i am referring to the idea not the "entity"). Religion is a wonderful thing. ORGANIZED religion is another thing entirely. Organized religion has caused more death and more destruction then any other force in the history of human civilization. Wars have been waged over it and persecution of those who believe differently then the majority is, sadly, the rule instead of the exception when looking at religion from a historical perspective. Religion, by it's very nature, is an extremely personal thing, if we as a global society could find a way to keep it as that, a personal belief, the world would be much better off. Please keep in mind that there is a difference between religion and morality. One does not need to be religious to be a moral person and I have known plenty of religious people who are not moral. As an example, Southern Baptists are, by any definition, extremely religious people. Some of the most racist, bigoted people I have ever met are Southern Baptists. Justify that! Now, I am not picking on Southern Baptists here, but living in the south it is the easiest example I can think of. I know there are many wonderful and tolerant people who are Baptist.

3) As far as S. Truit Cathey is concerned, I do not agree with his assesment of gay people, but I will defend his right to believe what he believes. When did we develop such a militiristic attitude in this country..."Because you don't agree with me you are an a**hole?" Where did this come from? People should be able to believe whatever they wish and act in any manor they wish unless it deprives another the right to life, liberty , and the pursuit of happiness. Now some of you may claim that Chick-fil-a closing on Sunday deprives you of happiness (after all, their chicken sandwiches ARE darn good) but you are not gaurenteed happiness, only the pursuit of. Bottom line is it's his company, he may do as he wishes.

And finally, Chick-fil-a Peach bowl...Chick-fil-a Bowl; frankly I don't give a damm as long as I can watch a good football game! Put that in your pipe...

(Note to Admin and all who are concerned, I am not looking for a way to "shine" on here but jut asking a simple question that I hope I don't get banned or suspended for, if that were to happen that would be very odd) :wacko:

Hotlanta, any question is fine on UrbanPlanet as long as it is posed to be compatible with our rules. Please don't have any worries. Nor should anyone else here that chooses to be a good forumer. We certainly don't mind academic discussions of religion. However....

My previous very negative response was directed towards the use of religion to attack a demographic of our community which is something we don't allow here. There are a significant number of Gays that post on UrbanPlanet and we will not allow attacks against this group by individuals regardless of the justification they give for doing so. The same goes for attacks against any other demographic. When this happens this puts me into the position of having to come down hard to stop it because usually the party in question (the one doing the attack) will not listen to more calm reason.

I apoligize to those of you here who do show respect to each other and to the integrity of the forum and certainly appreciate the support you give to UrbanPlanet. Thank you too Celeste for being so patient. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe certain Jewish sects do not allow "His" name to be written or even said...hence, G-D.

As a Jewish boy who is married to a Presbyterian girl, I can confirm your statement.

On the previous comments, I think a lot of the backlash towards the use of Happy Holidays (which I use) was in response to several well-known establishments that actually banned the use of the term Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays everybody!!

I always have to laugh every time i see someone talk about "separation of church and state" or cite the first amendment. Oh man. Maybe some of us need to take another look at the first amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

There you go.

it says nothing about separation of church and state. that is something that the supreme court has "interpreted" based on their own feelings. In fact, the first amendment is really trying to make sure that the government doesn't establish a State religion, much like what happened in England with the Anglican church - a state version of the roman catholic church.

It also says that CONGRESS shall make no law - not a messageboard, or other people. So in fact, we the people can say and do WHATEVER we want pertaining to religion, or how we feel. The constitution says NOTHING about keeping religion "out of the public realm" or anything like that.

Hotlanta, any question is fine on UrbanPlanet as long as it is posed to be compatible with our rules. Please don't have any worries. Nor should anyone else here that chooses to be a good forumer. We certainly don't mind academic discussions of religion. However....

My previous very negative response was directed towards the use of religion to attack a demographic of our community which is something we don't allow here. There are a significant number of Gays that post on UrbanPlanet and we will not allow attacks against this group by individuals regardless of the justification they give for doing so. The same goes for attacks against any other demographic. When this happens this puts me into the position of having to come down hard to stop it because usually the party in question (the one doing the attack) will not listen to more calm reason.

I apoligize to those of you here who do show respect to each other and to the integrity of the forum and certainly appreciate the support you give to UrbanPlanet. Thank you too Celeste for being so patient. :)

Would you say that Christian messageboard members are protected from attacks by Gays or other people here? Because that certainly isn't the case in society. These days it seems very acceptable to bash Christians, as long as you support gays, minorities, poor people, terrorists, and generally anyone other than conservatives. But if Christians receive little toleration from the very people who claim to practice it.

Would you say that Christian messageboard members are protected from attacks by Gays or other people here? Because that certainly isn't the case in society. These days it seems very acceptable to bash Christians, as long as you support gays, minorities, poor people, terrorists, and generally anyone other than conservatives. But if Christians receive little toleration from the very people who claim to practice it.

It's not at all acceptable to me to bash Christians (or any other religion for that matter). Jesus provided a wonderful message of tolerance, acceptance of our humanity, humility, and non-judgmental attitudes. Those are great values. I must say I'm not sure how you link support for gays, minorities and poor people with support for terrorists, however.

Archived