Uptown Charlotte Project Rundown

dubone

the developer of Epicenter????? what in the world are you talking about?

It was a 1000 foot tall observation deck type tower, proposed in 1992, same time as BoFa corp

it was done by the guy who proposed the nautilus, Burt Gellman.

but unfortunately there are no renderings I've ever seen, as that I was only 8 in 1992, and actually wanted to be a meteorologist, astronomer or marine biologist, not an archtect or a urbanplanning dork

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a 1000 foot tall observation deck type tower, proposed in 1992, same time as BoFa corp

but unfortunately there are no renderings I've ever seen, as that I was only 8 in 1992, and actually wanted to be a meteorologist, astronomer or marine biologist, not an archtect or a urbanplanning dork

There was a rendering that I saw on another site at one point, can't remember where it was though... I do remember thinking that it would have looked extremely odd on the Charlotte skyline... I will try to find it again

lol I thought Ghazi had some pie in the sky plan once and was associated with this one.

I guess not. The Nautilus is what I was thinking of, I got 'em confused. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of projects- anything in the works for the former Palomino restaurant on N. Tryon and 9th? It recently closed.

Hopefully a Houston's will fill the space!

That's sad to hear. I loved the Palomino. I have had many meals there, and never a bad one. Those $4 mojitos on Friday nights were awesome, too. It was a bit off the beaten path, though...located just about where Tryon can get a little sketchy at night.

Houston's is a great restaurant, too, but I'd consider it to be a little bit lower-scale (more along the lines of Rock Bottom). I've been to the Houston's in Kansas City. I thought it was a bit overpriced at first, but I do have to say that, after trying it, my $15 French Dip sandwich was worth every penny. Mmmmmmm......

That's sad to hear. I loved the Palomino. I have had many meals there, and never a bad one. Those $4 mojitos on Friday nights were awesome, too. It was a bit off the beaten path, though...located just about where Tryon can get a little sketchy at night.

Houston's is a great restaurant, too, but I'd consider it to be a little bit lower-scale (more along the lines of Rock Bottom). I've been to the Houston's in Kansas City. I thought it was a bit overpriced at first, but I do have to say that, after trying it, my $15 French Dip sandwich was worth every penny. Mmmmmmm......

Maybe Houston's has B-grade restaurants and A-grade ones. The ones in Manhattan are more upscale- and attract a great crowd, and look nicer than the one near Lenox Square in Atlanta.

"The Vue expects to start construction as soon as this fall"...

Hmm....something to watch here...

Yea, I read that too. I'm just not going to get my hopes up just yet by reading tooooo much into it. Key words "as soon as"

Epicenter???..... Hope these guys never want to enter the California Market...

^Yes. It is in the Renaissance Place thread which is here.

Also, I didn't know where else this would go, but they had a bunch of streets blocked off downtown today and there was a helicopter hauling what looked to be ventilation components from a parking lot right next to the bus terminal to the top of the Bank of America Plaza building. Quite an impressive site.

^Yes. It is in the Renaissance Place thread which is here.

Also, I didn't know where else this would go, but they had a bunch of streets blocked off downtown today and there was a helicopter hauling what looked to be ventilation components from a parking lot right next to the bus terminal to the top of the Bank of America Plaza building. Quite an impressive site.

Thanks QG06 :thumbsup: I didn't even notice that thread.:blush:

I couldn't find anything on the CBJ website, but the friday print edition has a crude drawing of this tower on the front page. I'm not sure if it will really look anything like the drawing though. :unsure:

That's my building. They were replacing the window washing equipment.

Thanks QG06 :thumbsup: I didn't even notice that thread.:blush:

I couldn't find anything on the CBJ website, but the friday print edition has a crude drawing of this tower on the front page. I'm not sure if it will really look anything like the drawing though. :unsure:

The rendering is just a pic to "catch" the eye. It will not look anything like that. If anything it will resemble something similar to BC's condo tower on the arena parcel. The guy bidding on the arena site wanted to put his proposal there, but the city did not bite with a developer not proven in the CLT market. This led the developer to seek out another lot to secure. This is what led to the front page article in the CBJ.

This guy is going to move forward in what will apparantly be another "pencil" tower.

Check out this link to see what you might be getting on both the areana and the Tryon site. I kind of like the idea as it diversify's our city's building stock.

PENCIL TOWERS

http://www.uoregon.edu/~struct/courseware/...cil/pencil.html

PIC

pen2.jpg

A2

Hmmmm.....very interesting bit of news.

The Goodyear shop at 601 S. Tryon (corner of Tryon and Stonewall) was just sold to Crescent Resources (the real estate divison of Duke Energy) for $3.8M.....the building sits on about 1/2 acre of land.

Is Duke rethinking buildings a HQ tower, with a Tryon St. address, or is Crescent looking to do a condo tower here (since they are doing them in Florida and Austin, TX).....or are they just land banking?

Speaking of projects- anything in the works for the former Palomino restaurant on N. Tryon and 9th? It recently closed.

Hopefully a Houston's will fill the space!

The folks who own Harper's worked for Houston's originally and used their experience there as a concept for Harper's restaurants. I have always heard that the ownership groups at both have a mutal agreement not to open stores in each other's turf. No Houston's here, no Harper's in Atlanta.

Hmmmm.....very interesting bit of news.

The Goodyear shop at 601 S. Tryon (corner of Tryon and Stonewall) was just sold to Crescent Resources (the real estate divison of Duke Energy) for $3.8M.....the building sits on about 1/2 acre of land.

Is Duke rethinking buildings a HQ tower, with a Tryon St. address, or is Crescent looking to do a condo tower here (since they are doing them in Florida and Austin, TX).....or are they just land banking?

(for dubone) My sources tell me...that Crescent is rethinking Florida. Sales are abysmal in TPA and the company is pulling out of some of its previously announced projects in the state. Maybe they are thinking that things here at home are pretty good and will put some cash into projects in NC that aren't on lakes the power company built in the mid-20th Century.

:offtopic:

Atlrvr, are you getting any work done in Beantown? :P

(for dubone) My sources tell me...that Crescent is rethinking Florida. Sales are abysmal in TPA and the company is pulling out of some of its previously announced projects in the state. Maybe they are thinking that things here at home are pretty good and will put some cash into projects in NC that aren't on lakes the power company built in the mid-20th Century.

:offtopic:

Atlrvr, are you getting any work done in Beantown? :P

could be. but, i really wish this was the beginning of a new HQ. one question though, if this were to be a new HQ - would going through the crescent channel be the way? i mean why wouldn't duke energy just buy the land? i'm sure there are a million reasons, but i'm curious. a new HQ would solidify their commitment to charlotte being their home for many years. plus, it could be very nice for charlottes blossoming skyline... as long as they stay away from the firm that designed their current HQ.

There was an article is today's observer about all the uptown condo projects. Nothing really new or exciting, but I did find the map interesting.

http://www.charlotte.com/multimedia/charlo...0802condos.html

It shows how non-linear all the new buildings are, and how hopefully, the skyline will begin to appear a bit more well-rounded.

Archived