The Shoppes at North Hills

tim2462

I'd like to see it built in downtown LR/NLR or midtown LR if possible. Downtown would allow them to sell boats directly on the water the way they do at some newer locations, including the Rowlett (Dallas) location. I think it could help jumpstart retail in those areas and it's the kind of "destination" that could lure people into the heart of the city that don't normally spend much time there. I always thought Otter Creek was just too remote and hard to find.

A lot of people kind of hate on Bass Pro. I think it's neat thing and is a big draw for a huge part of rural Arkansas that normally might not spend a lot of money in Pulaski Co.

The TIFF debate is getting interesting. When the legislation first passed, I heard several lawyers talk about how poorly written the law was. The general theme was that it was too vague and was written in such a way to invite lawsuits. Sounds like they were all correct. Personally, I think the right thing to do is to take public infrastructure upgrades for the benefit of private redevelopment to the voters. This is what the TIF law does in a very indirect way.

I'm mostly Bass Pro neutral. I have to qualify that because I worked 10 years in outdoor specialty retail for an independent local retailer. That crowd is naturally comprised of many Bass Pro haters. If Belz Burrow and Bass Pro want to do something to improve the retail environment in Central Arkansas, I'd like to see them become the principal retail anchor for the Lighthouse marina on the Arkansas River. I believe the river is too dangerous to let customers test drive canoes and kayaks. A marina would make it much safer.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The TIFF debate is getting interesting. When the legislation first passed, I heard several lawyers talk about how poorly written the law was. The general theme was that it was too vague and was written in such a way to invite lawsuits. Sounds like they were all correct. Personally, I think the right thing to do is to take public infrastructure upgrades for the benefit of private redevelopment to the voters. This is what the TIF law does in a very indirect way.

I'm mostly Bass Pro neutral. I have to qualify that because I worked 10 years in outdoor specialty retail for an independent local retailer. That crowd is naturally comprised of many Bass Pro haters. If Belz Burrow and Bass Pro want to do something to improve the retail environment in Central Arkansas, I'd like to see them become the principal retail anchor for the Lighthouse marina on the Arkansas River. I believe the river is too dangerous to let customers test drive canoes and kayaks. A marina would make it much safer.

One more thought...

The light rail could be extended from I-630 to the marina. :tough:

You had me until you threw the light rail thing in....

Actually I love the marina idea. You really need a decent size watercraft to try out in the River, not a canoe or kayak. You're right, those currents are swift.

I think Bass Pro tends to hit up the hunting and fishing crowd from several counties around. The local hiking/kayaking/canoeing crowd would likely continue to shop local places like Ozark Outdoor, Gene Lockwood's, etc. At least that's just my guess.

Bass Pro has a quality casual seafood restaurant, Islamorada Fish Co, that would do very well with a riverfront location.

How about if I paint on one side of the rail car a bubba with a beer gut wearing a camo baseball hat with a razorback log, riding on the back of a stripped bass, and Dawn Scott on the other side? :rofl:

This is Arkansas. If you slap a Razorback on it everyone will like it.

• 5 weeks later...

The Shoppes at North Hills

Soon after this article was printed, I went onto the "Shoppes" website (linked above), and the plans have been updated. It looks much nicer, and much more "upscale", and calls for a large department store (maybe a macy's or something, which is just speculation), and a bookstore, which would have to be a Borders, since NLR already has a Books A Million and a Barnes and Noble. It calls for 11 resteraunts, and one would think that many of them would be new to NLR or even to LR. I would imagine On the Border would work well there, as well as many other places. The Bass Pro Shops is a stand alone building. There is lots of room for retail space, hopefully from more mid to high-end stores. It is really quite exciting, now let's see if it gets built this time.

Thanks, for the update. The website has definitely been updated since I last accessed it, three weeks ago, which is another good sign the developers are moving forward with the project. The image on the front page of the site is the same one that the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette displayed, last fall. It

Detailed PDF of layout.

Looks impressive. They've also included a proposed plan for the new exit off 67/167 here.

I have no beef with the development. But, I disagree with "Looks impressive." When I look at the plan, I see blah. The layout looks very "cookie cutter." The restaurant tenants could make the difference. Also, if the department store is new to Central Arkansas that may make a difference.

What do you think about the theater and office space being located on a second level above retail on the ground floor?

I believe, just from the main artist renderings on the first page, and some deductive reasoning, that the main entrance will be on the ground floor, and that's probably where the concessions area will be as well, and the second level will be all theaters. This is probably a "well duh" post, but I think that that would be pretty good. A very efficient use of space. And I noticed how there's about 3,000 or so more square feet of space alotted for the theater than in the original plan, which leads me to wonder about the new IMAX theater maybe going there, just speculation.

I believe, just from the main artist renderings on the first page, and some deductive reasoning, that the main entrance will be on the ground floor, and that's probably where the concessions area will be as well, and the second level will be all theaters. This is probably a "well duh" post, but I think that that would be pretty good. A very efficient use of space. And I noticed how there's about 3,000 or so more square feet of space alotted for the theater than in the original plan, which leads me to wonder about the new IMAX theater maybe going there, just speculation.

I didn't realize LR was going to be building a new IMAX. That's a good thing if true. The one now just seems so removed from everything else that I forget about it even being an option. I'd also like to have an IMAX that shows regular movies.

I didn't realize LR was going to be building a new IMAX. That's a good thing if true. The one now just seems so removed from everything else that I forget about it even being an option. I'd also like to have an IMAX that shows regular movies.

The new IMAX that is being built will be used for showing regular movies. In my understanding, it will not be replacing the one at the Aerospace Education Center.

In St. Louis, we go to the Ronnies IMAX (built about 1.5 years ago). It strictly shows movies. I love seeing movies there. We go every time we are in St. Louis. It's VERY popular and there are often lines. They show a lot of movies in 3-D. Movies that normally wouldn't be (Polar Express, Open Season). The cost is more expensive, but I'm willing to pay. $12.00 regular, $10.00 matinee.

An IMAX would be a wonderful, SMART addition.

I have no beef with the development. But, I disagree with "Looks impressive." When I look at the plan, I see blah. The layout looks very "cookie cutter." The restaurant tenants could make the difference. Also, if the department store is new to Central Arkansas that may make a difference.

I like the new layout better, I'm hoping to see some new drawings. The original project was more "big box" with several large tenants. I actually think this type of "lifestyle center" layout has the potential to be more upscale. We haven't seen the new drawings yet, the old ones linked on the new site are now obsolete. I bet the whole thing ends up being nicer than we initially thought. I agree the quality of the restaurants will make or break the place.

I'm hoping for a Macy's. It could be a Dunlop's or Belk's, though.

I like the separate Bass Pro. I think they work better as freestanding buildings.

I like the new layout better...he original project was more "big box" with several large tenants. I actually think this type of "lifestyle center" layout has the potential to be more upscale...I bet the whole thing ends up being nicer than we initially thought. I agree the quality of the restaurants will make or break the place.

I'm hoping for a Macy's. It could be a Dunlop's or Belk's, though.

I like the separate Bass Pro. I think they work better as freestanding buildings.

Even though it has been as frustrating as anything to wait this long for the Shoppes, I think in the end, it'll end up being much better than originally planned. Given its location and possible new tenants to Central Arkansas (and especially Bass Pro), I predict that this will be one of the highest grossing shopping centers in the state, possibly the entire south. You could not dream of a better location.

Even though it has been as frustrating as anything to wait this long for the Shoppes, I think in the end, it'll end up being much better than originally planned. Given its location and possible new tenants to Central Arkansas (and especially Bass Pro), I predict that this will be one of the highest grossing shopping centers in the state, possibly the entire south. You could not dream of a better location.

I agree about being as competitive as anything in the state, though the scale is too small to compete with larger metros.

Looking at the new design, I'm expecting a lot of smaller shops than we originally saw, the kind Lakewood Village was designed for. I think this could threaten both McCain and Lakewood Village to a degree. I hope this spurs Simon into a remodel of McCain, otherwise they may lose some smaller tenants.

Of course, a lot depends on what that anchor dept store really is.

I agree about being as competitive as anything in the state, though the scale is too small to compete with larger metros.

Looking at the new design, I'm expecting a lot of smaller shops than we originally saw, the kind Lakewood Village was designed for. I think this could threaten both McCain and Lakewood Village to a degree. I hope this spurs Simon into a remodel of McCain, otherwise they may lose some smaller tenants.

Of course, a lot depends on what that anchor dept store really is.

I COMPLETELY agree about how Simon DESPERATELY needs to spruce up McCain Mall. I think that the mall isn't really going to suffer, because it has every main department store that exists in Arkansas and some specialty stores, such as Hot Topic, that don't even exist at Park Plaza. It is also in one of the most active and successful retail areas in the state. Lakewood Village is going to be fine, I think because of it's wide variety of main stream, popular restaurants. I'm thinking and hoping that stores such as maybe Hollister, Pac Sun, some higher end clothing and retail stores might go in there. I don't think it'll be at all like Lakewood village. I think it'll be more along the lines of a nice mall, just with now walls.

I COMPLETELY agree about how Simon DESPERATELY needs to spruce up McCain Mall. I think that the mall isn't really going to suffer, because it has every main department store that exists in Arkansas and some specialty stores, such as Hot Topic, that don't even exist at Park Plaza. It is also in one of the most active and successful retail areas in the state. Lakewood Village is going to be fine, I think because of it's wide variety of main stream, popular restaurants. I'm thinking and hoping that stores such as maybe Hollister, Pac Sun, some higher end clothing and retail stores might go in there. I don't think it'll be at all like Lakewood village. I think it'll be more along the lines of a nice mall, just with now walls.

McCain really seems like it's teetering right now to me, it's generally out of date. There have been a lot of vacant/subpar anchors. Park Plaza's recent spruce up really brought that out. The NWA Mall used to be out of date, too, but the renovation a few years back put it a couple decades ahead of McCain (and people gripe about wanting a revamp of NWA Mall as well).

You're right about McCain having the quality anchor, Dillard's. Still, a Macy's and Bass Pro would compete as big anchors.

I watched a couple of Simon malls similar to McCain in DFW die and end up replaced by outdoor malls similar to Pinnacle Promenade, which only has a Dillard's. The same thing happened with Richardson Town Square which was replaced by Firewheel Town Center. Simon owned both of those, though, and had no initiative to redevelop the older one. That was a situation more like the Summit Mall/University Mall deal. Simon will lose their tails if they let McCain run down.

It's not like all of the retail in the McCain corridor would up and move away anyway. There's no place for it to go, especially around North Hills.

McCain really seems like it's teetering right now to me, it's generally out of date. There have been a lot of vacant/subpar anchors. Park Plaza's recent spruce up really brought that out. The NWA Mall used to be out of date, too, but the renovation a few years back put it a couple decades ahead of McCain (and people gripe about wanting a revamp of NWA Mall as well).

You're right about McCain having the quality anchor, Dillard's. Still, a Macy's and Bass Pro would compete as big anchors.

I watched a couple of Simon malls similar to McCain in DFW die and end up replaced by outdoor malls similar to Pinnacle Promenade, which only has a Dillard's. The same thing happened with Richardson Town Square which was replaced by Firewheel Town Center. Simon owned both of those, though, and had no initiative to redevelop the older one. That was a situation more like the Summit Mall/University Mall deal. Simon will lose their tails if they let McCain run down.

It's not like all of the retail in the McCain corridor would up and move away anyway. There's no place for it to go, especially around North Hills.

What encourages me still about McCain though is the recent opening of American Eagle. McCain actually draws quite a bit of the younger teenager/ college crowd with American Eagle, Old Navy, The Buckle, and Hot Topic, and even those Subpar stores like Rave and Rainbow. But Simon is very picky as to which malls they keep up, and clearly the Central Arkansas malls are not high on their priority list. Because of lawsuits, etc. the University property will be completely redone to possibly include a two-level Super Target, which is of course in the very early planning stages right now. Hopefully NLR will get onto Simon eventually, and maybe the Shoppes will encourage this improvement.

What encourages me still about McCain though is the recent opening of American Eagle. McCain actually draws quite a bit of the younger teenager/ college crowd with American Eagle, Old Navy, The Buckle, and Hot Topic, and even those Subpar stores like Rave and Rainbow. But Simon is very picky as to which malls they keep up, and clearly the Central Arkansas malls are not high on their priority list. Because of lawsuits, etc. the University property will be completely redone to possibly include a two-level Super Target, which is of course in the very early planning stages right now. Hopefully NLR will get onto Simon eventually, and maybe the Shoppes will encourage this improvement.

There was a whole lot of discussion on here for the last couple of years regarding University Mall. I think most of us here don't feel Simon will get things worked out with the property owners and will be penalized or settle in a way that leaves the property with the owners. I think the Target will happen but the plans published in the ADG that included high rise condos and an office tower probably won't be the end result, the owners will have their own agena. I still think there's plenty of room for retail there in addition to residential and office space. Everyone seems to think a theatre and bookstore belong there.

American Eagle, Rave and Old Navy aren't top tenants but are appropriate for a middle class mall. Aeropostale is conspicuously absent.

Where are the Hollister's, Express, Abercrombie, Charlotte Russe, J Crew, Chico's, XXI, etc?

Those are the tenants you expect to be there. Where are they? They belong somewhere in NLR, so the question is will they show up at North Hills instead? If they go, who follows?

If Simon spends $15 million on polishing up McCain I think it's a no-brainer McCain can keep all of their stores and add some high end ones.

There was a whole lot of discussion on here for the last couple of years regarding University Mall. I think most of us here don't feel Simon will get things worked out with the property owners and will be penalized or settle in a way that leaves the property with the owners. I think the Target will happen but the plans published in the ADG that included high rise condos and an office tower probably won't be the end result, the owners will have their own agena. I still think there's plenty of room for retail there in addition to residential and office space. Everyone seems to think a theatre and bookstore belong there.

American Eagle, Rave and Old Navy aren't top tenants but are appropriate for a middle class mall. Aeropostale is conspicuously absent.

Where are the Hollister's, Express, Abercrombie, Charlotte Russe, J Crew, Chico's, XXI, etc?

Those are the tenants you expect to be there. Where are they? They belong somewhere in NLR, so the question is will they show up at North Hills instead? If they go, who follows?

If Simon spends $15 million on polishing up McCain I think it's a no-brainer McCain can keep all of their stores and add some high end ones.

What I was saying is that Hollister, Express, Abercrombie, etc. would be a good fit in the Shoppes, but I don't think that the Shoppes will put McCain out of business. And transversly, I don't think that a revamped McCain will take away from the Shoppes. I think that they will coincide together to make a great retail center for the city and state.

What I was saying is that Hollister, Express, Abercrombie, etc. would be a good fit in the Shoppes, but I don't think that the Shoppes will put McCain out of business. And transversly, I don't think that a revamped McCain will take away from the Shoppes. I think that they will coincide together to make a great retail center for the city and state.

That idea was pitched once before when Park Plaza and University Mall were built so close together. That didn't work out too well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think North Hills puts McCain out of business. I just think if Simon doesn't spend some money it turns it into a lower end mall and strips the better tenants. Stores like Victoria's Secret will go wherever the higher end-tenants are.

Archived