The Shoppes at North Hills

tim2462

It does indeed look like this project has been downgraded to nothing more than a strip center. This is starting to look like it might not be the best idea after all. If it does happen, I believe what we will end up with is a carbon copy of Shackleford Crossings. It will be able to attract a few major tenants but the development as a whole will miss the mark.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the total lack of creativity in laying out the site plan for the development, did anyone else notice the intent to land one department store with 220,000 SF (nearly double the size of the Bass Pro Shop)? I wholeheartedly welcome anyone to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't think such a store exists in the state of Arkansas

Aside from the total lack of creativity in laying out the site plan for the development, did anyone else notice the intent to land one department store with 220,000 SF (nearly double the size of the Bass Pro Shop)? I wholeheartedly welcome anyone to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't think such a store exists in the state of Arkansas

New site plan on page 4 for anybody who hasn't seen it: http://www.shopnorthhills.com/pdf/renderings.pdf

Actually those are the original drawings from several years ago. I'm not sure why they are still on the site but from the same site here are the current plans:

Shoppes at North Hills

The aerial view of the center in that layout is on the front page of the development...

Shoppes at North Hills Rendering

OK, so that looks at little bit more creative and more realistic, too, since it will be anchored by one department store rather than three. But at 130,000 SF, the department store pad is still a good size of real estate to fill. My gut tells me JCPenney would want to get into the development. (By the time this even gets off the ground, JCPenney will have probably been in its McCain store for around 35 years

Actually those are the original drawings from several years ago. I'm not sure why they are still on the site but from the same site here are the current plans:

Shoppes at North Hills

The aerial view of the center in that layout is on the front page of the development...

Shoppes at North Hills Rendering

This is a bit better than the old plan. Still seems like a lot of restaurants, but they are always good traffic-builders for a shopping center. It will be interesting to see who the department store ends up being (we can hope for Macy's).

OK, so that looks at little bit more creative and more realistic, too, since it will be anchored by one department store rather than three. But at 130,000 SF, the department store pad is still a good size of real estate to fill. My gut tells me JCPenney would want to get into the development. (By the time this even gets off the ground, JCPenney will have probably been in its McCain store for around 35 years

It may very well be Belk that takes this spot at North Hills. The demographics fit nicely for that chain, which offers a broad range of merchandise. The MM Cohn spot in McCain Mall would have to be expanded for most any traditional department store entering the mall, but it could stay the same size if something like Steve & Barry's moved in. Their Hot Springs Mall store seems to be close to the the same size.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's about dang time. lol. Where did you hear about this?

I'm not sure I'm excited about this. At best, its another average development vying for the same tenants, and at worst, it just drags McCain down to an even lower plateau. Please someone remind me of the upside?! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I'm excited about this. At best, its another average development vying for the same tenants, and at worst, it just drags McCain down to an even lower plateau. Please someone remind me of the upside?! :rolleyes:

We get rid of those pesky wetlands and the I-40 interchange gets to be even more congested and confusing. Oh, and we have the benefit of a Bass Pro Shop, which is a 'tourist attraction' you know. Just like they have in every city around us.

Its okay..............

Nothing better than SC and its just going to drag McCain Mall down even more. I want to know whos going to fill the department stores! 200K SF is alot. I guess Belk could go in there, but then there is aloso 2 other large department stores. Maybe they could get Macys, but i would like to see that in McCain or the Promenade in Chenal or even Park Ave.(If i had it my way).

Good luck. I dont want to see McCain go by the wayside. And other than the Bass Pro, there is no reason for anybody in LR to go up there. I Hope it has more of a draw..................we will see.

I'm hoping we'll get some restaurants that are new to the area but a Bass Pro has an upside. I wouldn't go there often but every 3 months or so there are things that I like that could be found. I like that it's very near downtown and not by Crystal Hill, Cabot, or far west LR.

I really like the site for development but I agree more could be done with this.

Wetlands? Please, the only wildlife there are the druggies.

The Commercial Appeal is reporting that Bass Pro and the City of Memphis have reached agreement for BP to convert the Pyramid into one of its stores. How will this affect the Dark Hollow Bass Pro?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...revive-pyramid/

Assuming the dark hollow project / Shoppes at North Hills moves off of the planning table, I think the Little Rock Bass Pro would be be mostly a big box with a logo. I would think Bass Pro would want to make sure folks made it to the Memphis store from deep into Arkansas. Folks from Batesville and Jonesboro will drive to Memphis instead of Little Rock.

Mentioning a trip from Batesville to Memphis makes me think of the days when I'd make my trek from Fairfield Bay, skirting Batesville's south side. I distinctly remember having to go through Oil Trough, then Newport, on to Harrisburg, and finally to Marked Tree before I even saw something like a freeway. By the time I would get to Memphis, I was a bit tired. Batesville to Little Rock is much easier and around 30 miles closer.

Jonesboro, on the other hand, is virtually a straight shot down to Memphis, thanks to freeway or freeway-quality roads nearly all the way.

Assuming the dark hollow project / Shoppes at North Hills moves off of the planning table, I think the Little Rock Bass Pro would be be mostly a big box with a logo. I would think Bass Pro would want to make sure folks made it to the Memphis store from deep into Arkansas. Folks from Batesville and Jonesboro will drive to Memphis instead of Little Rock.

Memphis gets Jonesboro, Helena, and Forrest City. Batesville is way closer to LR.

An article in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, today, states that the Shoppes at North Hills project is still very much alive, even though a date for ground-breaking is still uncertain. Bruce Burrow and representatives from Bass Pro are still 100% behind the development, but they must await Judge Bill Wilson Jr

An article in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, today, states that the Shoppes at North Hills project is still very much alive, even though a date for ground-breaking is still uncertain. Bruce Burrow and representatives from Bass Pro are still 100% behind the development, but they must await Judge Bill Wilson Jr

I thought that was what the TIF was all about.

Frankly this thing has been hanging fire for so long that I'm unclear as to the resolution of the access problem. Has the design of any access plan been approved by all the necessary agencies and are TIF funds to be used for new roads and ramps?

article in today's dem-gaz states the NLR location to be a "billy bass pro shops" with ground breaking in november. At close to 3 million square feet for just the BBPS this is a drastically different project than i have heard from any other source to date. This article was in the style section under Otis the head cat? Also it stated that the legal issues were resolved through intervention by mayor hays. I thought the judge hadn't ruled on the matter yet? Anybody else hearing this?

article in today's dem-gaz states the NLR location to be a "billy bass pro shops" with ground breaking in november. At close to 3 million square feet for just the BBPS this is a drastically different project than i have heard from any other source to date. This article was in the style section under Otis the head cat? Also it stated that the legal issues were resolved through intervention by mayor hays. I thought the judge hadn't ruled on the matter yet? Anybody else hearing this?

You may want to check the end of the article where it says that Otis the Head Cat is an article of fabrication. Never trust what a cat writes.

Archived