The Shoppes at North Hills

tim2462

Have you been to that site before? I grew up in North Little Rock not far from there and I know the area well. I'm all for preserving wetlands and there are many swamps in Central Arkansas I would fight against developing. In this case, though, I know first hand that it's an eyesore that is marginally a "wetland" and serves primarily to accumulate trash. Where does that filtered water end up? We're not exactly talking about the Everglades here.

Porkman,

Unlike the guys who filed the lawsuit, yes, I have gotten out of my car and wandered around the site and I agree it is no Everglades. I just rather leave the area as is and wish they would develop along the north side of the river.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine how this could still be that viable in lieu of the significant delays, loss of momentum, and competitors now under construction (and about to open) with premium tenants already locked up. The only chance this has is for the mid-grade tenants that could support 2 locations in the metro area - its advantage is its distance from the midtown and west LR markets.

The newer Bass Pros seem to be on waterfronts, utilizing boat and watercraft sales:

The Dallas Bass Pro which is nearing completion is in Rowlett on Lake Ray Hubbard.

Shreveport's is on the Red River.

Bass Pro is negotiating with developers to build a Bass Pro in/adjacent to the Pyramid in Memphis with waterfront boat sales.

I have to wonder if Bass Pro would consider looking at an Arkansas River site. I can think of a few decent ones with easy highway access were they to choose to do so.

The newer Bass Pros seem to be on waterfronts, utilizing boat and watercraft sales:

The Dallas Bass Pro which is nearing completion is in Rowlett on Lake Ray Hubbard.

Shreveport's is on the Red River.

Bass Pro is negotiating with developers to build a Bass Pro in/adjacent to the Pyramid in Memphis with waterfront boat sales.

I have to wonder if Bass Pro would consider looking at an Arkansas River site. I can think of a few decent ones with easy highway access were they to choose to do so.

If Little Rock gets a Bass Pro, I bet it is not before 2010. I'm not sure it will be a big deal then.

For the record - I, for one - couldn't care less.

Hey Architect,

I am in your Bass boat... or, at least hanging off the side. A part of me cares because I spent about 10 years working in retail, mostly outdoor retail.

My father-in-law does care however. I had a discussion about Bass Pro speculation this weekend. He drove down to see the Bass Masters Tournament weigh-ins on Saturday and Sunday at the LR Convention center.

He is a Batesville native, who just retired from teaching for eternity. He plans to spend his retirement bass fising and golfing. It is to my father-in-law that I owe a debt of gratitude for introducing me to TK and Mike (http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005906619451a.shtml). If Central Arkansas gets a Bass Pro, it would be a destination for him everytime he comes to Little Rock.

That said...

He has been in the Memphis and Springfield Bass Pro stores. He is disappointed in the Memphis store. He says it isn't worth the trip to Memphis (same distance to LR). He'd just assume drive to Springfield.

My understanding is that Bass Pro is no longer building the same quality stores. The stores they build now are more like heavily branded big box retail. This is no surprise to me, as competition tends to force companies to the mean, Office Depot, Office Max and Staples; Home Depot and Lowes. In the Outdoor Retail arena in Central Arkansas, Gander Mountain, Academy Sports, Walmart, Sports Authority.

In three years how much more blending will occur because of competition? How much will American retailing change in that time? Just as the enclosed mall is generally out of favor, while the open-air town center is all the rave today, I believe destination retail, such as Bass Pro, has peaked.

Hey Architect,

I am in your Bass boat... or, at least hanging off the side. A part of me cares because I spent about 10 years working in retail, mostly outdoor retail.

My father-in-law does care however. I had a discussion about Bass Pro speculation this weekend. He drove down to see the Bass Masters Tournament weigh-ins on Saturday and Sunday at the LR Convention center.

He is a Batesville native, who just retired from teaching for eternity. He plans to spend his retirement bass fising and golfing. It is to my father-in-law that I owe a debt of gratitude for introducing me to TK and Mike (http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005906619451a.shtml). If Central Arkansas gets a Bass Pro, it would be a destination for him everytime he comes to Little Rock.

That said...

He has been in the Memphis and Springfield Bass Pro stores. He is disappointed in the Memphis store. He says it isn't worth the trip to Memphis (same distance to LR). He'd just assume drive to Springfield.

My understanding is that Bass Pro is no longer building the same quality stores. The stores they build now are more like heavily branded big box retail. This is no surprise to me, as competition tends to force companies to the mean, Office Depot, Office Max and Staples; Home Depot and Lowes. In the Outdoor Retail arena in Central Arkansas, Gander Mountain, Academy Sports, Walmart, Sports Authority.

In three years how much more blending will occur because of competition? How much will American retailing change in that time? Just as the enclosed mall is generally out of favor, while the open-air town center is all the rave today, I believe destination retail, such as Bass Pro, has peaked.

The question was answered in this morning's Demozette. Belz-Burrow was waiting for the appeal deadline to pass on the environmental lawsuit. Excavation will start in the next month but more of the construction will be deferred to spring with plans for an early 2008 opening.

The price is now up to $150 million to build the complex.

Here's an interview with the developer from TalkBusiness:

Roby: Now that the appeal deadline has passed in the lawsuit involving the Shoppes at North Hills project, what's the next step for you?

Bruce Burrow: We weren't certain what the outcome was going to be, whether it was going to be appealed or not, so we had to plan contingencies both ways. We're pretty much through with our architectural design and our site planning and that's been carrying on as this process has been going through. We are at the position now where we're going to really get the engineering going. We hope to get on the site in the next couple of months and begin to do some work. Unfortunately, it's a wet season so it's going to be spring before we can really start going vertically. So we're in a position to get going in the next couple of months at least with the primary site work.

Roby: Does this push your completion deadline back?

Burrow: We're going to do it in two phases. Bass Pro Shop is phase one, that'll be spring 2008 and depending on how construction goes, I think we can complete all of it by fall 2008.

Roby: Do you anticipate any other legal roadblocks at this point?

Burrow: I don't know, don't really care. We're moving ahead, I'm four-and-half years into this project, we certainly haven't thrown in the towel. We don't give up and we're not going to give up this project. It creates 1,700 jobs that will bring almost $300 million in retail sales to the state of Arkansas. Sales tax is huge, the city has been supportive, the county has been supportive, the state has been supportive, the neighborhood is supportive. And, then you have people who have no vested interest trying to stop the project - we think for reasons beyond environmental - but that will all come out one day.

Fox 16 News at 9 just reported that the project is back on. Not too many details except that the deadline to appeal the decision to allow the construction has passed and that the "over $150 million" shopping center is due to begin construction "soon"

All kidding aside - including my sarchastic comment about Bass Pro - I hope this does well. However, I just have my doubts. What tenants will this draw other than Bass Pro that aren't already at the McCain/167 corridor 1 mile away? And...$150 Million? Are you kidding? That's twice the cost of Alltel Arena. How would they ever recoupe this cost short of a top-tier/tenant development that included high-end retailers that MidTowne didn't secure? I don't know...

Maybe the Shoppes at North Hills will begin to gradually bring down McCain like Park Plaza has affected University. Even though its not a mall it has the square footage of one. Then North Little Rock can go the runaround with Simon in 5 or 10 years from now.

Maybe the Shoppes at North Hills will begin to gradually bring down McCain like Park Plaza has affected University. Even though its not a mall it has the square footage of one. Then North Little Rock can go the runaround with Simon in 5 or 10 years from now.

I really hope that doesnt happen... :cry:

All kidding aside - including my sarchastic comment about Bass Pro - I hope this does well. However, I just have my doubts. What tenants will this draw other than Bass Pro that aren't already at the McCain/167 corridor 1 mile away? And...$150 Million? Are you kidding? That's twice the cost of Alltel Arena. How would they ever recoupe this cost short of a top-tier/tenant development that included high-end retailers that MidTowne didn't secure? I don't know...

Midtown was a very small shopping center designed to bring in smaller storefront tentants. This development is "big box". Bass Pro Shops will draw its own clientele, some even will come to look around with no intention of buying anything. The large multiplex theater will be a big portion of the square footage.

As for the remainder?

Based on the site plan from before it seems they had specific tenants in mind or lined up.

I have no idea what the "discount anchor" would be. Target is right up the road at McCain as is a new WM Supercenter. Stein Mart perhaps? Maybe Target wants to build a Super Target - the one at The Other Center can't be expanded as the one in West LR could. I wouldn't be surprised to see Belks' try to get in this development, especially since it looks like they are entering the market already in West LR. They could be "Dept Store A". Babies R Us could be an option. Maybe Borders would opt for a store if they really are entering the market in West LR. It looks like the plans include a large number of restaurant pads and I think there's plenty of reason for this as 67/167 doesn't really have new potential restaurant sites. Lots of restaurants chains have been waiting to get in the market for a very long time and I think you'll see the same types of chains going in at the new Rogers developments at these sites and at Shackleford Crossing or nearby.

It really looks like more of a power center with lots of big boxes but not the smaller stores that would compete with the mall or Lakewood Village (or Midtowne). There might be room for that out there. I don't think they'll build it without locking up their anchor tenants beforehand and these look like 80%+ of the square footage.

northhills_siteplan.jpg

This layout is extremly similiar to the Scottsdale Center in Rogers.

It's going to have to have different tenants, though, as most of those stores - Linens and Things, Barnes and Noble, Pier One, Kohl's, Old Navy, Lowe's, Gap, etc already exist around or in McCain. Some of the restaurants I could certainly see. Isn't that where Copeland's is?

How many SF is Scottsdale? I think this development will be more big box. The theater would be be similar, though.

It is difficult to tell from the plan. Is the off-ramp that is picture the Lakewood exit?

Yes it is. Notice the drive between the development and the interstate connects to the offramp and North Hills Blvd just South of I-40/67/167.

Midtown was a very small shopping center designed to bring in smaller storefront tentants. This development is "big box". Bass Pro Shops will draw its own clientele, some even will come to look around with no intention of buying anything. The large multiplex theater will be a big portion of the square footage.

As for the remainder?

Based on the site plan from before it seems they had specific tenants in mind or lined up.

I have no idea what the "discount anchor" would be. Target is right up the road at McCain as is a new WM Supercenter. Stein Mart perhaps? Maybe Target wants to build a Super Target - the one at The Other Center can't be expanded as the one in West LR could. I wouldn't be surprised to see Belks' try to get in this development, especially since it looks like they are entering the market already in West LR. They could be "Dept Store A". Babies R Us could be an option. Maybe Borders would opt for a store if they really are entering the market in West LR. It looks like the plans include a large number of restaurant pads and I think there's plenty of reason for this as 67/167 doesn't really have new potential restaurant sites. Lots of restaurants chains have been waiting to get in the market for a very long time and I think you'll see the same types of chains going in at the new Rogers developments at these sites and at Shackleford Crossing or nearby.

It really looks like more of a power center with lots of big boxes but not the smaller stores that would compete with the mall or Lakewood Village (or Midtowne). There might be room for that out there. I don't think they'll build it without locking up their anchor tenants beforehand and these look like 80%+ of the square footage.

True - it really is a "power center" development like Shackelford Crossing, not a boutique "lifestyle" center like MidTowne. In fact, these two developments may end up being quite similar in scale and tenant mix that anchor the two major commercial districts of the metro.

True - it really is a "power center" development like Shackelford Crossing, not a boutique "lifestyle" center like MidTowne. In fact, these two developments may end up being quite similar in scale and tenant mix that anchor the two major commercial districts of the metro.

Taking the Bass Pro and theater and replacing them with a Supercenter, I bet you're right on.

Could the "discount store" be a Costco?

That would make a whole lot of sense.

If I'm seeing these plans correctly, the large Discount store shows it being 220,000 square feet. Costco generally only builds it's stores around 135,000-155,000 sq. feet, the same with Sam's Club. Supertargets are around 175,000 sq. feet.

Costco could go in the far right site, seeing as how that location is suppose to be 130,000. Bass Pro Stores vary. The new one in Branson is only like 40,000 sq. feet, but some are well above 200,000 sq. feet.

If I'm seeing these plans correctly, the large Discount store shows it being 220,000 square feet. Costco generally only builds it's stores around 135,000-155,000 sq. feet, the same with Sam's Club. Supertargets are around 175,000 sq. feet.

Costco could go in the far right site, seeing as how that location is suppose to be 130,000. Bass Pro Stores vary. The new one in Branson is only like 40,000 sq. feet, but some are well above 200,000 sq. feet.

The Bass Pro is supposed to be the large anchor furthest east in the schematic. The demozette said it will be 160,000 SF in the article yesterday.

The Bass Pro is supposed to be the large anchor furthest east in the schematic. The demozette said it will be 160,000 SF in the article yesterday.

That does make me wonder then what could be the 220,000 sq. foot tenant. It's certainly not an IKEA seeing as how the metro isn't large enough to support one. My guess is that these plans are going to change. I doubt Wal-Mart will build another Supercenter that close to the one on McCain, since it's pretty new itself.

I know Sears has a store on McCain in the mall, but possibly Sears wants to create a Sears Grand in North Little Rock. I would assume a site for 220,000 sq. feet would have to be some sort of Hypermart, there's just no other stores (besides Bass Pro, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.) that are that large.

That does make me wonder then what could be the 220,000 sq. foot tenant. It's certainly not an IKEA seeing as how the metro isn't large enough to support one. My guess is that these plans are going to change. I doubt Wal-Mart will build another Supercenter that close to the one on McCain, since it's pretty new itself.

I know Sears has a store on McCain in the mall, but possibly Sears wants to create a Sears Grand in North Little Rock. I would assume a site for 220,000 sq. feet would have to be some sort of Hypermart, there's just no other stores (besides Bass Pro, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.) that are that large.

I think the plan was tentative but they clearly had specific tenants in mind. I agree IKEA isn't reasonable for the market (and they tend to build freestanding anyway). Plus, "discount" implies a Sam's, Costco or less likely Wal-Mart or Target.

You're kind of an authority on this it seems, but what how is a Target Greatland different from a Super Target? We don't have many of those down here but I noticed them in KC and St Louis.

Archived