New amusement park for North Carolina

Dukeis#1

The story at NewsObserver.com

The Haliwa-Saponi tribe wants to build a 118-acre amusement park in northeastern N.C, at Roanoke Rapids.

Near Interstate 95, the amusement park would be part of the Carolina Crossroads entertainment area that Roanoke Rapids is currently trying to develop. The area has been suffering due to loss of industry, and many feel that such a project would give the local economy a major boost. The first phase of the theme park would cost an estimated $30 million.

The park would have a Native American culture theme.

Carolina Crossroads will have music theaters, shopping, etc, in the same vein as Branson, Myrtle Beach, and Gatlinburg. Since Randy Parton (Dolly Parton's brother) is one of the driving forces behind the new attractions, I thought this area would eventually be the site of the rumored Dollywood II, but it looks like this park may get to the area first.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first phase of the theme park would cost an estimated $30 million.

Since Randy Parton (Dolly Parton's brother) is one of the driving forces behind the new attractions, I thought this area would eventually be the site of the rumored Dollywood II, but it looks like this park may get to the area first.

That kind of investment in that part of the state has to be a good thing, and I-95 is the perfect place for it.

I bet you'll see Dollywood going in someplace close by, if not in the immediate vicinity. Those types of places generally play off one another really well when they're clustered close together.

Roanoke Rapids has a stench reputation from the paper mill. Travelers along I-95 can smell this approaching the bridge over Lake Gaston. I hope the stench is not bad enough to steer away this proposed park plan.

Also, i found this interesting from the N&0 in a google search that the paper mill stench (fumes) could be toxic.

I like the idea. Kinda like South of the Border in SC. My dad always stopped there on our way back from visiting south Georgia to pick up some fireworks.

I used to like it to when I was young. But now it is nasty and seems to have a smell about it while driving through.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an interesting prospect for that area...as for the smell, it really depends on how far down I-95 they build it. Most of the smell is concentrated between Roanoke Rapids and the Virginia line, which is more Northampton County (Gaston) than Halifax.

I wonder what the larger implications of this would be, though. For example, traffic along I-95 gets heavy enough as it is, with only two lanes each way--what would the flow impact be?

• 2 weeks later...

Roanoke Rapids has a stench reputation from the paper mill. Travelers along I-95 can smell this approaching the bridge over Lake Gaston. I hope the stench is not bad enough to steer away this proposed park plan.

Also, i found this interesting from the N&0 in a google search that the paper mill stench (fumes) could be toxic.

paper mills smell horrible. Its the worst stench from any kind of factory you can smell. I remeber going through Suffolk, VA smelling that. The smell is so strong it can literally make you sick :sick:

We need a new amusement park in the triad.

:)

Maybe they will propose something like that in "The Heart of the Triad" development. We do need an amusement or theme park in the Triad. Emerald Pointe doesnt really count because its a water amusement park. They should build a thempark on the Guilford/Forsth County line.

Wet'N Wild Emerald Pointe should do a major expansion. Its already the largest waterpark in the Carolinas at 40 acres. Id like to see the size double. I remember looking at a satelite view of the water park and there is land next to the park that could be used for expansion. Its nothing but trees. There is no room on the back side of the waterpark because it butts up against the I-85 bypass (urban loop), unless they expand across the freeway and maybe build a large, wide pedestrian bridge crossing I-85 to a newer section of the waterpark. If they dont build an amusement park between GSO and W-S, Emerald Pointe should include some dry ride attractions. Emerald Pointe has a roller coaster already. you can see it from the urban loop. Its called the Hyrda Fighte II but the past 2 years its been closed down. Not sure why but they havnt taken it down. Its a suspended steel coaster. here are some photos of it.

hydrafight.gif

hydra-fighter-ii3.jpg

hydra-fighter-ii1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Roanoke Rapids so I know a little about this project.

Like Lithuania said it will start out as a single theater, but rather than growing into a theme park it seems like it's going to grow into a collection of theaters, restaurants, hotels, and shopping. The plan below though shows a small water park, aquarium, and avian sanctuary. But considering this is a large multistage development I have a feeling that those might be conveniently left off when all is said and done.

We certainly do need the economic boost/jobs that this will provide though.

Much of the Parton family (Dolly, Randy, Stella, etc.) came to attend the official ground breaking.

There's supposed to be an announcement on Tuesday, Feb. 28th that will tell us some of the restaurants and shops that will be there.

Master Plan:

carolinacrossroadsplan.jpg

Randy Parton Theater (the first theater):

rptheater.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about an amusement park (six flags) in eastern Alamance county? The market would be the Triangle, the Triad, Southern VA, and anyone in this state or region wanting a new option. Six Flags would work due to the distance it would have from the other parks. Would be perfectly situated to be the Triangle and Triad's theme park. I know I'll recieve criticism but I believe this is a good idea in more ways than one.

Given this announcement it's not likely that a new theme park will be built anywhere in Eastern NC for some time.

Not necessarily. Hard Rock Park was technically announced well over three years ago - it just now got the funding to come to life. I'm sure the folks behind the park in Roanoke Rapids took it into consideration when they made the decision to try and build a park in the area.

Besides, Hard Rock Park will draw off the Myrtle Beach tourist base, and the area that Carowinds pulls from. A Roanoke Rapids theme park would be more in the Busch Gardens Williamsburg/Kings Dominion market.

• 11 months later...

I went to Portsmouth VA in Jan and passed though R. Rapids. On the right side of 95 I saw some kind of construction. I think it was an music hall of something with some retail surrounding it. It was about 2 miles south of the Roanoke Rapids/Wendell exit.

About Carolina Crossroads near Roanoke Rapids, The Randy Parton Theatre is completed and I believe shows are scheduled for July. A Hilton hotel is currently under construction. Recently announced was a large billiards to be opened by professional billiards champ the Black Widow and is supposed to be large enough for television tournaments. Other plans include a Marriott hotel, retail outlets, a 20,000 seat amphitheatre for outdoor concerts, a water park with wave machine and aquarium (dophins, etc.). The project is under construction - working on roads, power, water and sewer lines, etc. I've heard the Memphis rollercoaster Elvis used to love will remain in Tennessee. Nothing new on the Native American theme park down the road - still just someone's idea.

Archived