The exurbs are becoming suburbs

socaguy

The other day I was driving into Atlanta from I-85 north and noticed (without the heavy canopy of leaves covering everything during most of the year) that humungous new subdivisions were popping up everywhere as far out as Braselton and Winder. This is nearly 50 miles outside of DT Atlanta. It is ridiculous! Traffic stopped at the Hamilton Mill exit (about 40 miles outside Atlanta) and didnt let up until around Pleasant Hill.

I have lived in Upstate SC for about 5 1/2 years now and have gotten used to coming into Atlanta from 85. It has changed dramatically in the few years Ive been here and was wondering what the other Interstates around Atlanta are looking like now. It has been years since Ive traveled up 75, and the same since Ive traveled in from 20 from Augusta. Has it changed much? Atlanta isnt sprawled out in every direction like it is on 85 is it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

socaguy - it is disturbing. But you would also be amazed at how much growth in the exurbs has occured in the Upstate in the past 20+ years. There used to be nothing after the last Greenville exit except for a few gas stations & maybe some warehouses. But your point is true - sprawl in Atlanta is probably the worst in the nation.

On I-75, it is possibly as bad as I-85 northbound. Subdivisions dot the road well past Cartersville to the north, to the south subdivisions dot nearly to Macon around Forsyth. I-85 southbound isn't too bad. Lastly I-20 the sprawl stretches past Covington to the east & around Carrollton to the west.

One thing that gtets me is that there is a portion of tne Appalachian trail that runs 34 miles away from NYC. Even the biggest city in the country is able to control its sprawl!

Don't forget that things are denser up there. NYC may have better control over its sprawl, but it certainly does exist up there.

That's what I was saying. It's real dense up there; just look at it on Google earth. It just amazes me that the largest metro in the US is able to have undeveloped land 34 miles away from the city- just a thought

Oh, look up Jackson heights Queens; that's where my Grandfather grew up.

Archived