Top 10 Wish List for Charleston 2006

idunno

Well...since the Greenville, Spartanburg, and Columbia subforums have such lists, why not Charleston? I personally don't know what I'd put here, but as someone who is interested in what's going on in SC, I'd like to hear the opinions of some of the Charleston forumers, and/or those in the know about the goings-on in Chucktown. Let the fun begin!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) More respect, attention, and due recognition to the Gullah culture of Charleston and the Lowcountry. But I know that will never happen unless someone MAKES it happen. The city wont do it, so thats just wishful thinking.

2) More care given to the preservation of the island life and culture, which means less frivolous development wiping out the history and way of life of the city and region.

3) More joint promotion between Charleston and Savannah as one entity, The Lowcountry Sea Islands or whatever they would like to call it. I think it only hurts our region by the 2 cities having this unspoken competition going on. Join forces and do it the right way.

4) The face of downtown Charleston being retained, just updated and cleaned up maybe, but not CHANGED like I see in a lot of new developments in the city.

5) I would like to see the unincorporated areas such as Edisto, McClellanville, Awendaw, and even the separate entities like North Charleston all being put back under one umbrella as CHARLESTON. This is another thing that wont happen. So again, wishful thinking.

I'll think of more, but these are just a few things that came to mind.

2) Adoption of Spartan's "buroughs" idea for the city

I like this idea as well...it would really give a boost to the population of the core city while certain areas retain some form of autonomy.

5) I would like to see the unincorporated areas such as Edisto, McClellanville, Awendaw, and even the separate entities like North Charleston all being put back under one umbrella as CHARLESTON. This is another thing that wont happen. So again, wishful thinking.

I wouldn't completely lose hope on something like this happening...though I must admit that I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I really wish that at least N. Charleston and Charleston would merge...wouldn't that automatically place Charleston's population >200,000?

1. More housing downtown to increase the population on the peninsula

2. Some sort of mass transit connecting all of the metro area, monobeam or lrt

3. Charleston/North Charleston consolidation

4. Urban growth boundries for all of the metro area, thats a good one

5. Smart affordable housing(on all levels, average income won't even get you a house on the peninsula much less below average) mixed in all throughout the metro not concentrated in one area

6. Amusement or Theme Park located close to or in the metro area

7. Tall building announcements, they don't have to be insanely tall. Anything in the 200-500ft range would be nice, though 500ft+ skyscrapers would be alright by me :P

8. Street beautification throughout the whole peninsula

9. More water access for the public(docks, landings etc)

10. Major expansion of information services and research based jobs.

I thought Awendaw was an incorporated place?

For Charleston in 2006 I'd like to see:

1. some progress made towards the creation of a fixed mass transit system, be it monobeam or LRT

2. the Town of James Island annexation issue resolved

3. the Watson Hill annexaiton issue resolved

4. the start of rehabilitation of housing north of Calhoun, specifically around King and Meeting streets

5. A wider variety of affordable housing for middle class folks on the peninsula

6. major progress on the Magnolia Project

7. some signs of density outside of downtown.

8. the start of construction on the final leg of 526.

9. the completion of Mount Pleasant's plan for densification along Jonnie Dodds Blvd

10. this spot will be left open for anything that I forgot :)

Well, after my vacation, I have already thought of things such as this, but many of you have already covered them. I guess repetition emphasizes the points, so I'll list them. L-Beware, all your ideas seem very good, especially the 5th one. I wouldn't say that it would be impossible, but currently, it is improbable. Mike, your list is VERY similar to mine...all excellent ideas, including the theme park! When Disney was looking for a location for its Disney's America park, I would have promoted Charleston as a prime location.

Anyway, here's my wish list for Charleston in 2006:

1. Skyscraper construction in the medical district area/demolishing of the old HoJo and Chas Riverview hotels in the process

2. Skyscraper and density construction in the Magnolia project and density construction in Noisette

3. Merger/consolidation of Charleston, N. Charleston, St. Andrews PSD, and James Island PSD into one city of Charleston

4. Elimination of the pseudo-town of James Island and its attempts to incorporate

5. Street beautification on the peninsula and on major thoroughfares of West Ashley, James Island, and "Northtowne" ;) , including burying all utility lines, improving street lighting, and placement of mast arm traffic lights

6. Highway lighting for I-26 starting from Summerville all the way to DT

7. Additional company HQ locations to the aviation, research, and technology industries

8. Beginning of monobeam construction at the Visitor's Center leading to the airport

9. Major amusement/theme park location in outer areas of West Ashley

10. Completion of the Mark Clark Expressway (I-526)

ok, charleston native and mikeslogic i have just single handedly appointed you guys govenor and lt gov of the state for the next several terms. the wishs rock!! oh the btw i think everyone left out one. charleston hosting the 2016 summer olympic games. hee-hee.

When the year 2016 comes up, I'll be sure to remember that one! :D However, if Chas continues to grow like it's doing, maybe the Olympics could be a possibility for the city 50 years from now......

Incentives are actually in place for the businesses in upper King to retain their locations. IMO, it seems that the dividing line between these 2 sections of the street is Calhoun Street. Because lower King has Chas Place, the nearby Market, and the Battery, more chain businesses will want to stay there because more money can be drawn in. Franchise owners know that if they go further up King St., the risk for isolating their business from the heaviest of traffic increases. This will be a deterrent for chains to takeover upper King and "mall-ify" it.

ok i have just lowered the cone of safety over myself because i have a feeling this is going to be an unpopular post. i really get excited when i hear of QUALITY national chains opening on king or anywhere downtown for that matter. i would love to see more higher end shops like bvlgari, cartier, armani and prada etc. the city and the "well to do" tourists could certainly support it. also i do appreciate the "baby" saks that is downtown but i know a full scale dept store do well. maybe a "needless markups" will open downtown in my lifetime. i would like to see fresfields expand as well. i know i have this "big time" mentality when it comes to chas but i know the city can so some serious butt kicking when it comes to competing with other larger cities in this country.

That is great to know, Charlestonative. I remember when Banana Republic was The Audubon Store and the whole area near Charleston Place was filled with locally owned interesting shops. Its just a boring mall down there now and people don't go to Charleston for that. Its vital that Upper King maintain whats left of King St's local identity.

Actually, tablrock, I'm with you. I totally agree with what you said. It would be incredible for Chas to be a premier, upscale retail destination, especially DT. The Saks is a great part of lower King...I think it boosted economic spending in the area. Plus, it attracted nicer stores such as Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn. Armani might not be far behind considering that Gucci is already located in Chas Place. It's funny that you mention Prada as well. I had no idea what that was until my wife mentioned it to me 2 nights ago! :lol: It would be another great store to be part of lower King.

Voyager, I do want upper King to retain alot of its local business owners, though. A franchise or two might squeak in there, and I have no problem with that, but I especially would not want places like the Bookstore Cafe to close and move for another franchise. The incentives should keep that part of DT local. The new hotel to be built at the old library will probably boost more local places financially, anyway.

A balance would be nice Charlestonnative. I don't want to sound obstructionist but the waves of gentrification are already reaching way beyond the crosstown so lets hope the city does care about maintaing local merchant presence. I go to Asheville often and their downtown is right at the tipping point Charleston was pre Hugo. Filled with wonderful locally owned stores, galleries, and vibrant culture that is already attracting pricey condos. Those residents will be wealthy out of towners accustomed to the convenience and comforts of home and will attract chain stores. I hope Asheville's progressive ethic enables it to do a better job maintaing its identity than Charleston did.

People are too afraid of change. I would like to see more nationally recognized chains in the Charleston area personally. Keeping local retailers is essential I agree but both can be done, it's up to the local shop owners to maintain their presence. Rising property values is something that is going to happen, the city can either try to offset that by incentives or these shop owners will have to move further out from the well-to-do parts of the city if they can't afford the taxes.

This notion that these national retailers equates to a boring mall are way off the mark, for them personally that may be true but these places are not hurting one bit as far as retail sales go and if you look hard enough you will notice that there are still a ton of local shops inbetween these national retailers. Shopping/Dining is one of the top reasons next to the history for people visiting Charleston.

I live in Charlotte now but went to cofc and lived in Charleston seven years overall. I woud love to see the end of the mallification of King St. Its only a matter of time until the chains move north and force the local stores out of Upper King.

The wheels are already in motion on that one. Upper King streetscaping project that will start this year should make it blend in with Lower King St. This job only goes to Mary St I think.... King St will eventually be a seamless retail location all the way to Spring St :)

People are too afraid of change. I would like to see more nationally recognized chains in the Charleston area personally. Keeping local retailers is essential I agree but both can be done, it's up to the local shop owners to maintain their presence. Rising property values is something that is going to happen, the city can either try to offset that by incentives or these shop owners will have to move further out from the well-to-do parts of the city if they can't afford the taxes.

This notion that these national retailers equates to a boring mall are way off the mark, for them personally that may be true but these places are not hurting one bit as far as retail sales go and if you look hard enough you will notice that there are still a ton of local shops inbetween these national retailers. Shopping/Dining is one of the top reasons next to the history for people visiting Charleston.

Mike, I do agree. It is true...if local retailers cannot compete with national chains, then they will have to either move or create better business that attracts more people. Local places can compete, but they have to be innovative and provide something amazing which keeps people shopping there rather than going to a chain.

I do disagree with the "mallification" comment, although I see his point of view, but I agree, these national retailers have surged new life into the lower King St area. And you're exactly right, there are still plenty of local shops intertwined with the national ones, and it may be a reason why Chas is so popular. There is a diverse mixture of everything.

Just like you said, Chas is a popular destination for visitors because of its various shopping and dining choices. Look at New York...many people go there to shop and dine at the upscale "national" places as well.

I suppose I am in the minority in this discussion but I still think chain stores are detrimental overall to the vitality of downtown Charleston. There have dozens of stories in The Charleston City Paper over the years about astronomical rents forcing local merchants out. Audubon is gone, the men's store across from Bob Ellis is gone, Atlantic Books is gone which was across from The Mushroom which replaced another local business, I loved that little bookstore. I could go on and on and on. Local businesses reflect the character of a city. A small number may survive but that is not good enough and its a shame. Charleston is too small to absorb both like larger metros. Its already happened in the residential market. The peninsula has already become too expensive for the majority of locals to live there. Its inhabitated by part time New Yorkers that are there for Spoleto and leave the houses dark and completely devoid of life the rest of the year which ruins the neighborhood feel. It is great to see the Avondale of West Ashley area flourishing. But its sad when the locals can't afford to live in the area that represents the heart and soul of the city.

Well, voyager, you do have a valid point, and it's not that I completely disagree with you. Any urban area needs local influence and input from residences and businesses, alike. Absolutely. But when I was growing up in Chas, I remember lower King St being relatively quiet because many shady characters hung around there. You did not feel safe there at night. Needless to say, C of C students only participated in nightlife in specific sections of DT. These national retailers have completely changed all that. They have created a bustling DT area and C of C students now feel safe about walking from St. Philip all the way to East Bay!

Here's another thing to consider. Owners of these national retail stores are local people as well! These owners are not mere landlords overseeing their business from some loft in NYC. They are completely involved in their business and have an invested interest in the improvement of the retail climate in the DT area. They contribute to the local economy and participate in community projects, as well. I used to work for a man named Ed Dickerson, who owned the only 3 Chick-fil-A's in the city. He now owns over 3/4 of the market, owns a house near the Battery, and his sons now own the original franchises. His sons also own property throughout Chas and raise their families there. The Dickerson family is basically a well-known name in the Chas area...and they operate nothing but national chain restaurants!

Archived