Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

How ironic that Hartford may end up with an NHL team again while Peter Karmanos rots in NASCAR country with an iron clad lease that doesn't allow him to move and only allows him to continue to lose tens of millions each year. We can only hope.

Karma can be such a b!tch.

It sure can, especially when you have the best team in NHL and still can't make a profit. That's pretty pathetic. If the Whalers would have been the best fan support would probably have been unrivaled in the league. I don't even like Hockey all that much, but will be HUGE fan of the New Whalers, WHEN they get here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things that have no bearing on our possibly getting a hockey team: our attendance was amazing considering we had about 3 successful years and won a total of one playoff round... ever. To dispute that is ridiculous. Second, our proximity to NY and Boston is the biggest crock of crap for an arguement. Talk about retarded logic, "yeah, you guys are WAY too close to all those people and all their money". With that type of logic, we'll put the team in Tuktuyuktuk, NWT, it should be a smashing success....

Two things that have no bearing on our possibly getting a hockey team: our attendance was amazing considering we had about 3 successful years and won a total of one playoff round... ever. To dispute that is ridiculous. Second, our proximity to NY and Boston is the biggest crock of crap for an arguement. Talk about retarded logic, "yeah, you guys are WAY too close to all those people and all their money". With that type of logic, we'll put the team in Tuktuyuktuk, NWT, it should be a smashing success....

The whole New York/Boston rebuttal doesn't focus on the real problem. The owners in Boston and New York hate the idea of a team in Hartford. They feel that it could mean less television viewers for their local broadcasts (somewhat likely) and less fans/attendance (unlikely-i mean who goes to Boston to see the Bruins). Those two owners will fight like hell against any proposal to move a team to hartford.

But if an owner chose to move his team to Hartford with a new arena, it would be hard for the NHL owners to not approve it.

The whole New York/Boston rebuttal doesn't focus on the real problem. The owners in Boston and New York hate the idea of a team in Hartford. They feel that it could mean less television viewers for their local broadcasts (somewhat likely) and less fans/attendance (unlikely-i mean who goes to Boston to see the Bruins). Those two owners will fight like hell against any proposal to move a team to hartford.

But if an owner chose to move his team to Hartford with a new arena, it would be hard for the NHL owners to not approve it.

Regardless of what Bettman, The Bruins, or Rangers may want, should things fall into place... as in, Larry G's bid to buy the Penguins get approved, Isle of Capri loses the slot license, and CT approves the construction of a new arena... the NHL can't and won't block it. Simply put, the other owners (the majority) will not vote to shoot themselves in the foot. Nobody within this fraternity of rich SOB's wants to find themselves in a similar situation and unable to court other markets for sweeter arena deals. Personally, I really think this will happen. Unless a local (local to Pitt that is) bidder steps up and wins the bid, that team is moving. I just don't see Larry losing out to any other bidders outside a local entity.

It will be awesome for us, and sad for Pitt. At least they will have the Steelers and Pirates to enjoy. That being said, if we cannot land the Pens, I sure hope they stay in Pitt. Should Pitt lose it's team, mark my words, they will get a replacement very quickly. Mellon arena will be replaced, likely not on a schedule that fits with the Pens and the sale of the team. I would not want to compete against them for future league expansion (however unlikely) or the next unstable team looking for greener pastures.

How ironic that Hartford may end up with an NHL team again while Peter Karmanos rots in NASCAR country with an iron clad lease that doesn't allow him to move and only allows him to continue to lose tens of millions each year. We can only hope.

Yep he is sure rotting. :rofl:

Carolina Hurricanes run like a business -- and are scoring well

The Business Journal of the Greater Triad Area - April 7, 2006

Let's give credit where credit is due. When the National Hockey League came out of a labor dispute to begin the 2005-06 season, very few of us -- from the Triangle to the Piedmont -- thought the Carolina Hurricanes would be a powerhouse in the league.

After all, the team did not execute any blockbuster deals that were the talk of the town or the league. But General Manager Jim Rutherford thought otherwise.

For perspective, consider the fact that in corporate America, like it or not, the fate of a publicly traded company is squarely dependent on its share price. Essentially, investors look for a good deal and the potential for growth. Which companies are undervalued, which has a better story among industry peers, and, perhaps most importantly, how is the company managing expenses?

Thanks to the NHL's labor agreement, which forces parity in terms of what teams can spend and creates a system of revenue-sharing, Rutherford and Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos zoned in on one critical element during the offseason -- how to make the team financially viable.

Today, Rutherford estimates the Carolina Hurricanes, for the first time since the franchise was relocated from Hartford, Conn., will likely go break-even by the end of the season. We think that's a big story. According to several reports, the Hurricanes lost at least $18 million in the last full season the team played a couple of years ago. The losses in the years before that also were north of $10 million.

Those days are gone. At least for now.

The best owners in professional sports learn early on that running a team shares many similarities with running any other business. Right now, if the Carolina Hurricanes were a publicly traded company, the team's stock likely would be riding a 52-week high.

-- From the Triangle Business Journal

Source

With luck the (the finals?) they will beak even. Wow, backs up the fact they have been losing money since the move, which you were denying. So the article backs our point of view.

Besides this is a puff piece from the "Triad News." What did you expect?

I just did some homework and found out that even with the best record in the Eastern Conference and the lowest ticket prices in the NHL, Carolina's support of the Canes is just not there.

Despite having the best record in the East and the lowest ticket prices in the NHL this year at an average price of $26.15, their attendance figures are horrible. The Hurricanes come in at #24 with a total of 587,762 fans drawn through 38 home games.

On average per game, they come in at #22 of 30.

And before anyone starts using the size of the arena as an excuse, they fill theirs at a rate of 82.6% - only better than 6 teams in the entire NHL. And again, that is with the lowest ticket prices in the NHL.

So much for supporting a winner....

Who cares if Karmonos makes money or not. I couldn't care less about their successes or failures. That chapter of Whalers history is done. Time to start a new chapter. Lets keep our eye on the prize.

FYI, the Mayor and Larry are in St. Paul today meeting with local politicians and Wild ownership. Great Jacobs piece in the Courant today as well.

Who cares if Karmonos makes money or not. I couldn't care less about their successes or failures. That chapter of Whalers history is done. Time to start a new chapter. Lets keep our eye on the prize.

Exactly.

The point is that folks use the Canes to say we were not a good NHL market, so it is important in that regard. Since moving to Carolina the team has put a much, much betterr product on the ice. And they stilll lose money.

Which is an extremely valid point. We are not just talking trash, but also making real economic observations. It's extremely important to understand all aspects of the situation including how the team has fared since they left our market. They are a much better team and still don't have the level of fan loyalty. That's speaks volumes about our market and people need to start listening to these common sense arguments for the return of a team.

Guys, I learned long ago it's worthless to argue sports with those that don't understand. I fall into the trap from time to time, but I just see blank posts now, which is basically what the content is anyways... nothing.

The point is that folks use the Canes to say we were not a good NHL market, so it is important in that regard. Since moving to Carolina the team has put a much, much betterr product on the ice. And they stilll lose money.

No, I think you guys are a decent NHL market, and I think Raleigh is not as terrible as you people think it is. It is a small market, that's all. Im sure if hartford was not between two of the biggest cities in the Country you guys would get a team again. I am pretty sure Original 6 teams get special treatment when it comes to fanbase mapping. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a say in moving the team in the first place. I actually hope you guys get a team, so people can stop calling us the whalercanes and what not.

Yep he is sure rotting. :rofl:

Source

You mean the Canes kept losing money since the day they left Hartford. What are you proud about? Sorry to tell you, but thats an absolutey horrible financial track record. It took almost 10 years to breakeven and that hasn't even been guaranteed yet. This is absoluely pathetic!!! :D

You mean the Canes kept losing money since the day they left Hartford. What are you proud about? Sorry to tell you, but that an absolutey horrible finacial track record. It took almost 10 years to breakeven and that hasn't even been guaranteed yet. This is absoluely pathetic!!! :D

:rofl:

No offense, but Raleigh-Durham is not "NASCAR country", whatever that means. I love Hartford, and was a HUGE fan of the Whalers but they're gone now. There's no need to bash North Carolina; it's childish and it demonstrates a serious lack of education on the part of Hartford's fans.

I'm more offended by Mass*oles thinking Hartford and Connecticut are Boston backwaters. I cheer everytime a North Carolina team kicks some Boston butt - in my mind, kicking it for Hartford. :thumbsup:

I still don't see how people can think Hartford is not a pro-sports market. Sorry, but the Bruins are not a big team in Connecticut, they wern't pre whalers and certainly not post whalers. The Celtics have a much less draw now that UConn is where they are and the Celtics have not had a good team in years. The Bruins will have no impact on Hartford getting a NHL teams and the Celtics certainly shouldn't have any effect on Hartford landing a NBA team. The support was there for a hockey team and still is there. All these people that say Hartford won't ever get a team are sitting in a office chair having never stepped foot in Hartford in the Whalers days or today.

I have run across a few hockey fans here in Arizona, yeah only a few and I live in a NHL market. Anyways, the few fans I have come across think Hartford is a hockey town and should get a team back.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessN...rticleid=134125

Interesting article from the herald. frankly, i disagree.

Coming from a Boston publication I can't say I'm surprised with the tone of the article. Funny thing is, as Cotuit mentioned, I think Boston would benefit from a team in Hartford. Do they really think there is a large following of Bruins fans in CT? The Bruins are a Boston/Rhode Island/New Hampshire/Maine team, they have very few followers around here.

LOL --Mac Ganis doesn't like the Hartford market? Who is Marc Ganis? That's the basis of his opinon? Does it get much stupider than that.

Yep, guess we'll never get a franchise based on the opinion of Ganis. Idoits are coming out of the woodwork.

I still don't see how people can think Hartford is not a pro-sports market. Sorry, but the Bruins are not a big team in Connecticut, they wern't pre whalers and certainly not post whalers. The Celtics have a much less draw now that UConn is where they are and the Celtics have not had a good team in years. The Bruins will have no impact on Hartford getting a NHL teams and the Celtics certainly shouldn't have any effect on Hartford landing a NBA team. The support was there for a hockey team and still is there. All these people that say Hartford won't ever get a team are sitting in a office chair having never stepped foot in Hartford in the Whalers days or today.

I have run across a few hockey fans here in Arizona, yeah only a few and I live in a NHL market. Anyways, the few fans I have come across think Hartford is a hockey town and should get a team back.

I agree. I don't know too many Celtics, Bruins, Nets, or Knicks fans here in New London county. The baseball and football teams from both cities are well represented though. I'd definately root for any Hartford NHL or NBA team. At the moment I just root for the team that I like watching, usually one of the better teams, for NBA and don't pay attention to NHL at all. I did care about the NHL up until 1997. I wonder how many people are in the same boat as I am, probably quite a few. I'd bet the NHL would do great around here, though an NBA team would have to compete with UConn.

On a side note, has anyone noticed a difference in the ratio of Red Sox/Yankee fans since the Red Sox finally won? They used to be just about 50/50, now it's more or less Red Sox Nation around here. Not that it's that big a deal to me, but isn't front-runner the first thing an angry Red Sox fan says to a Yankee fan? What do I know, maybe it partially has to do with the Navigators losing their Yankees affiliation.

Archived