Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

No offense, but Raleigh-Durham is not "NASCAR country", whatever that means. I love Hartford, and was a HUGE fan of the Whalers but they're gone now. There's no need to bash North Carolina; it's childish and it demonstrates a serious lack of education on the part of Hartford's fans.

Like it or not, NASCAR is immensely popular in North and South Carolina. Its not meant to be an insult. How is calling out the obvious "childish" or demonstrate a "serious lack of education on the part of Hartford fans???"

Are you saying that the Carolinas are NOT NASCAR country?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, well you guys want to bash, talk about us losing money in the past etc etc, but guess what guys... I got two tickets for the first game of the playoffs while you guys will be watching.... well who knows what there is to watch in hartford, sports wise. How do you like them apples "yall"?

:rofl:

I am loving this new CBA and new NHL.

771.jpg

Ok, well you guys want to bash, talk about us losing money in the past etc etc, but guess what guys... I got two tickets for the first game of the playoffs while you guys will be watching.... well who knows what there is to watch in hartford, sports wise. How do you like them apples "yall"?

:rofl:

I am loving this new CBA and new NHL.

771.jpg

Your right! We'll be watching the caneholes get their asses whipped in the playoffs and it will happen. :D

Wow, that looks like a suspension waiting to happen....

Anyways, there is nothign wrong with the Hartford market, never has been. People that know nothing of the market like to throw grenades at us, but it means nothing as long as we can defend ourselves with facts, which we do, no problem.

And Phillydog, the only reason anyone brings up Carolina and the area is that we have a guy here that likes to come and try to provoke us with nonsense about our area, he really has no idea about Hartford or our market, so some of us have used his area to illustrate some points. It really isn't about Raleigh or NC, they were just used as weapons in retaliation...

I wonder if having two NHL teams would be good for the Bruins. If there were some intra-regional competition, it might draw more fans, especially when the teams play each other.

It was always good for the Bruins. Bruins/Whalers games were always sold out not only in Hartford, but in Boston. Harry Sinden just doesn't like competition, he hated Howard Baldwin since the day the Whalers started in Boston, and continued to hate the Whalers until the day of their demise. He probably did the biggest dance of anyone when the team finally moved. BTW, he is also the anchor that has been holding the Bruins back from winning any Stanley Cups for all these years. Without Harry Sinden, Ray Bourque probably could have lifted the Cup in Boston instead of in Denver....

Wow, that looks like a suspension waiting to happen....

Anyways, there is nothign wrong with the Hartford market, never has been. People that know nothing of the market like to throw grenades at us, but it means nothing as long as we can defend ourselves with facts, which we do, no problem.

And Phillydog, the only reason anyone brings up Carolina and the area is that we have a guy here that likes to come and try to provoke us with nonsense about our area, he really has no idea about Hartford or our market, so some of us have used his area to illustrate some points. It really isn't about Raleigh or NC, they were just used as weapons in retaliation...

not really, I don't come here to provoke you, I actually wouldn't mind you guys getting another team back. If you look back at the starting few pages of this thread there is a lot of Raleigh bashing. I have no doubt that Hartford could be successful with the new CBA the NHL has right now. It is really good, take a look at it sometime.

Like it or not, NASCAR is immensely popular in North and South Carolina. Its not meant to be an insult. How is calling out the obvious "childish" or demonstrate a "serious lack of education on the part of Hartford fans???"

Are you saying that the Carolinas are NOT NASCAR country?

I don't care one way or another...I just can't stand people making gross generalizations - often wrong - about entire regions. It's stupid, bigoted, and unnecessary. NASCAR is immensely popular in every corner and the middle of the United States. Maybe you did intend to use the NASCAR comment as an insult since it's likely from the tone of your original message you meant that Raleigh isn't sophisticated enough for hockey so they should just stick to NASCAR. Using NASCAR to stereotype an entire region is childish and to show how little you know about it's demographic and geographic appeal.

BTW, North and South Carolina are completely different states; it's like saying TV is popular in Connecticut and New Jersey (to suggest that CT and NJ are somehow unique TV-viewing states).

I agree though, the Canes' guy can be creepy and I don't know why he's in a forum about Hartford if he doesn't have any connection to the city or state.

I agree though, the Canes' guy can be creepy and I don't know why he's in a forum about Hartford if he doesn't have any connection to the city or state.

He's a troll, that's what trolls do. He got pissed off because some Whalers fan makes his life hell on some obscure Hurricanes message board, so he came here to harass us, he's said so in the past. I just wish people would stop quoting his nonsense so I wouldn't have to see anything he says...

I don't care one way or another...I just can't stand people making gross generalizations - often wrong - about entire regions. It's stupid, bigoted, and unnecessary. NASCAR is immensely popular in every corner and the middle of the United States. Maybe you did intend to use the NASCAR comment as an insult since it's likely from the tone of your original message you meant that Raleigh isn't sophisticated enough for hockey so they should just stick to NASCAR. Using NASCAR to stereotype an entire region is childish and to show how little you know about it's demographic and geographic appeal.

BTW, North and South Carolina are completely different states; it's like saying TV is popular in Connecticut and New Jersey (to suggest that CT and NJ are somehow unique TV-viewing states).

Its not a generalization, its not a stereotype and it has nothing to do with "sophistication." My original point had more to do with where sports fan's interests lie in the Carolinas - and it isn't hockey as the numbers from a previous post prove. NASCAR originated and still thrives in the southeast more than anywhere else in the country. Still don't believe it? How many NASCAR events took place in the Carolinas?? There are 7 drivers from North Carolina alone. You are entitled to your opinion, but its hard to argue facts.

As for your geography lesson - thanks, but the Hurricanes are named for both the Carolinas which was the basis for my original statements. Much like the Patriots are named for all of New England. I don't even know what you are trying to say about TV viewing states.

Heres an interesting piece (of crap) written by a true Hartford hater no doubt in the Springfield Republican regarding our prospects for getting a team back.

Hartford remains on ice

Monday, April 10, 2006

Before the National Hockey League returns to Hartford, pigs will sprout wings and fly.

Donald Trump's eyes will well up, he'll cry out "I just can't do it," and he'll hire all the contestants. Barry Bonds will say he's sorry.

In other words, it won't hap-

pen. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has no interest in a return to Hartford, a smallish market nestled between Boston and New York.

Springfield Republican Article

"A Hartford team certainly wouldn't knock the B's out. But it would hurt them.

Don't you think some Pioneer Valley fans might try sampling Sidney Crosby over Boston's same-old, same-old, on TV if not in person? I do." This quote is a later statement made by the author about the implications on the Bruins.

You read an article like the one from The Springfield Republican, and get to this:

"The Penguins play in the only NHL arena older than David Wells. They want a new building, and perhaps Gottesdiener is using Hartford as a bargaining chip with Pittsburgh, the way Bob Kraft did with Foxboro."

and get the impression this guy has no idea what he is talking about. Gottesdiener, unlike Kraft is from Connecticut. Gottesdiener, unlike Kraft has a large stake in Hartford. And Gottesdiener, unlike Kraft, is looking to purchase a team with the intent of moving them. I suppose Gottesdiener could have the intent of buying the Penguins and keeping them where they are, but when you look at the circumstances surrounding everything and what he has to gain, I doubt it.

The political will and power is there from City Hall and the money is on the table from Northland. All we need is for the state to step up on the Arena plan and for Mr. G to acquire a team that can be relocated. We really are halfway there the way I see it. This is going to be all about the follow through.

Is the Springfield Republican like our Hartford Advocate or is it like...a real paper?

Bored as I am I took it upon myself to look it up. Yes, Springfield's "real" paper is the Republican. They also have the Advocate and the Reminder as "fake" newspapers. I don't get an Advocate around here, but we do get the Reminder. I wish they'd go out of business, they put one (in a non biodegradable plastic bag) on each mailbox every week and a lot of people just throw them on the ground and let them sit there. There's nothing worth reading in it. They have these "Speak Out" letters to the paper that are mostly people with way too much time on their hands arguing with some other idiot who wrote in the week before. Maybe these guys in Springfield feel (rightfully) stuck in Boston's shadow, and subconsciously would like to see its richer and bigger neighbor do poorly to make themselves feel better in comparison. Or maybe whoever wrote that is just a jackass.

C'mon everyone, Springfield gets a bad rap, don't let one guy that talks out his ass get you down on the city...

I wasn't trying to incite any Springfield hatred here. I simply stated the facts that Hartford (Metro, not city) is bigger and richer than Springfield. Unlike Springfield, Hartford is a national city, though it seems to be diminishing more and more every year due to inept state and local governance in the recent past. I don't think too many people think that guy from the Republican's opinion is worth anything.

After living just outside of Hartford all my life, and now unfortunately being stuck living in Springfield, I can tell you that this city has a major inferiority complex with CT and more specifically Hartford.

Springfield really has absolutely nothing going for it, except for the Hall of Fame and is basically bankrupt. If a cheapshot article makes them feel better, then so be it.

After living just outside of Hartford all my life, and now unfortunately being stuck living in Springfield, I can tell you that this city has a major inferiority complex with CT and more specifically Hartford.

Springfield really has absolutely nothing going for it, except for the Hall of Fame and is basically bankrupt. If a cheapshot article makes them feel better, then so be it.

WOW! Sounds like where Bridgeport was 10 years ago when they where bankrupt.

Archived