Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

There is no way a smaller market like Hartford can support the NHL and the NBA because the seasons conflict with each other. Sure Hartford has money, but how many people are going to support both teams at the same time? It works well in places with huge populations like New York, LA, Chicago Dallas, Philly and Toronto, but not small market cities.

Dude you don't even know anything about us, so please spare us your insight.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh jesus, it is simple logic. Even a monkey would be able to understand it. Whatever, Im done with this crap, good luck trying to get BOTH the NBA and NHL.

There is no need in getting frustrated. It's a simple difference of opinion regarding what we could support here between us, the locals and you, the outsider. I think we have a little more firsthand knowledge, but you're right you're not biased. I mean, I have friends who agree with you. I'm just undeniably bullish on Hartford and Connecticut in General. I think we have an extremely bright future, that could possibly hold the NBA and the NHL. You don't, so what the hell is the big deal? Why do you care?

Oh jesus, it is simple logic. Even a monkey would be able to understand it. Whatever, Im done with this crap, good luck trying to get BOTH the NBA and NHL.

I don't think anyone is claiming Hartford can GET both the NBA and NHL under any but the most promising circumstances for the city...I think we'd all be happy with one. People are only claiming that Hartford could support both...in reality Hartford is probably about as big as Buffalo (as noted before on this forum, any stats are skewed by the actual cities small footprint) and that city has NFL and NHL franchises.

Regardless of the population and economic data, does anyone really think Hartford would have the fan interest to support on NBA team? Personally, I don't think that I could name five people I know in the state who follow the NBA. Everyone is an NCAA fan. Would that translate into NBA fans? I'm not sure.

Ignore that guy, he basically comes here to try and stir the pot. It's also highly ironic from a guy living in a market that is smaller than Hartford, and that has 4 major NCAA basketball programs, and an NHL team, but ours can't support NBA, NHL, and NCAA. Whatever....

Regardless of the population and economic data, does anyone really think Hartford would have the fan interest to support on NBA team? Personally, I don't think that I could name five people I know in the state who follow the NBA. Everyone is an NCAA fan. Would that translate into NBA fans? I'm not sure.

Personally I think the NBA and the NCAA can live in harmoney here. I think the key here is building a winning team, UCONN has surely proven that.

Personally I think the NBA and the NCAA can live in harmoney here. I think the key here is building a winning team, UCONN has surely proven that.

All you really have to do is 1. build a new arena, 2. Bring in the NHL and NBA, 3. Our new, sorry expansion NBA franchise needs to draft some UConn players, which will be easy considering how the NBA draft works. Do those 3 things and we have a brand new arena with two pro teams that will draw fan support, no doubt about it in my mind. I know plenty of NBA fans in CT. They just have a hard time going for any one team because we don't have one.

All you really have to do is 1. build a new arena, 2. Bring in the NHL and NBA, 3. Our new, sorry expansion NBA franchise needs to draft some UConn players, which will be easy considering how the NBA draft works. Do those 3 things and we have a brand new arena with two pro teams that will draw fan support, no doubt about it in my mind. I know plenty of NBA fans in CT. They just have a hard time going for any one team because we don't have one.

Very true. Remember the womens abl league. The Civic center would always fill up with fans when there was a game in town.

Ignore that guy, he basically comes here to try and stir the pot. It's also highly ironic from a guy living in a market that is smaller than Hartford, and that has 4 major NCAA basketball programs, and an NHL team, but ours can't support NBA, NHL, and NCAA. Whatever....

We ONLY have the NHL here. Charlotte has NFL and NBA, not Raleigh! Charlotte is not Raleigh.

Right, so I guess, Wake Forest, Duke, NC/Chapel Hill, and NC State don't exist, you really don't read anything, do you. You just select what you want to flame and have at it. That's pathetic and makes you look really bad. This is my last response to you, btw...

Right, so I guess, Wake Forest, Duke, NC/Chapel Hill, and NC State don't exist, you really don't read anything, do you. You just select what you want to flame and have at it. That's pathetic and makes you look really bad. This is my last response to you, btw...

I was talking about pro sport. Never once did I talk about college sports, you are brining them in to stockpile teams against the market. When Hartford gets a NBA team and a NHL team then you can say I told you so, but for now it is what it is.

Seriously dude, please stop posting on this board. Let us all dream about the NHL and NBA coming to Hartford without you stating no obvious facts on why it wouldn't work.

Everyone is forgetting when the Celtics used to play 4-5 games a year at the Civic center. Those games were great. However, I don't think the Celtics would have much of an impact on Connecticut not getting a NBA team because they don't have the following like the Redsox and Patriots have.

Personally, I don't even think the NBA is very likely. It's a dream like Uconn99 said. The NHL, I really do see making a return. The only reason I mention the NBA is because, with a new arena in place it would be possible. Not likely, but possible and feasable. Eddie really wants the NHL back and so do most politicians at the state level. Lets just keep our fingers crossed on that. This topic is for those excited about Hartford's pro sports prospects, let's try to keep it that way.

Personally, I don't even think the NBA is very likely. It's a dream like Uconn99 said. The NHL, I really do see making a return. The only reason I mention the NBA is because, with a new arena in place it would be possible. Not likely, but possible and feasable. Eddie really wants the NHL back and so do most politicians at the state level. Lets just keep our fingers crossed on that. This topic is for those excited about Hartford's pro sports prospects, let's try to keep it that way.

Well there is one NBA franchise that could be up for grabs. I hear Portland Oregon is having arena problems. Of course we would have to have a new arena in place to possibly even consider going after this team.

Well there is one NBA franchise that could be up for grabs. I hear Portland Oregon is having arena problems. Of course we would have to have a new arena in place to possibly even consider going after this team.

Not only portland, but Seattle, Utah, sacremento, milwaukee, and memphis.

Memphis? Didin't the team just move there?

We could support a team much easier than the Memphis Market can. It was a bad move. When will they learn? The south does not automatically equal good sports markets. The south is growing because it's cheap and the weather is nice, but why move to somewhere where the living is cheap and the earnings are low. Hartford has the 2nd highest salaries in the nation and is the 6th wealthiest metro area. We can afford a team, Memphis can't. Bring it here where it will be appreciated.

We could support a team much easier than the Memphis Market can. It was a bad move. When will they learn? The south does not automatically equal good sports markets. The south is growing because it's cheap and the weather is nice, but why move to somewhere where the living is cheap and the earnings are low. Hartford has the 2nd highest salaries in the nation and is the 6th wealthiest metro area. We can afford a team, Memphis can't. Bring it here where it will be appreciated.

Wow throw all of the south with memphis. The grizz are losing money in memphis because the NBA salaries are uncontrollable and they need butts in the seats which they don't have because memphis is a small market with low income.

The move was a mistake in many peoples eyes, because if you look at their situation now and their situation when they were in vancouver moving was clearly a mental brain fart. The attendance in Vancouver was better than or compariable to attendance in memphis for a sub par team compared to the team the grizz are now starting.

BTW: Don't try to bring the Canes and Raliegh in this because when the team is winning it is supported well. The grizzlies have been winning for the last few seasons.

Wow throw all of the south with memphis. The grizz are losing money in memphis because the NBA salaries are uncontrollable and they need butts in the seats which they don't have because memphis is a small market with low income.

The move was a mistake in many peoples eyes, because if you look at their situation now and their situation when they were in vancouver moving was clearly a mental brain fart. The attendance in Vancouver was better than or compariable to attendance in memphis for a sub par team compared to the team the grizz are now starting.

BTW: Don't try to bring the Canes and Raliegh in this because when the team is winning it is supported well. The grizzlies have been winning for the last few seasons.

I did not mean it like that at all. I love the south. I lived in ATL for 5 years while I was in college and have and for some time after, I also have alot of family in the south. I said the south does not automatically equal a good market, it certainly can. When the Grizz moved they bypassed Hartford, which is larger and wealthier than Memphis, because there is a perception that the south is thriving and the north is dying. That perception is wrong and that is all I meant.

Yeah, but they where still losing money in Vancouver and ownwership wanted to move. I agree Memphis was a bad choice.

Archived