Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm dumbfounded that they actually got a decision right!!! This is great news and gives Hartford the mobility looking forward to actually get an NHL team. It also gives Larry the ability to build a new arena and put something better where the current HCC is...

Read the Courant blog under this topic, some of these guys have no idea what they are talking about....

Read

Looks like more people in that article were against it then for it.... Anyways losing The WolfPack is not a big loss by any means.

Amazing how stupid these people are. I thought Connecticut was a educated state? Maybe this is why nothing ever gets done around here, so many dumb people live here!

Amazing isn't it? Anyways with Larry at the wheel I think we will start seeing some interesting events happenng.....

This is such wonderful news! After years of the Civic Center being raped and pillaged by MSG it is finally ours again! I can go watch hockey there without feeling guilty! Truthfully, I don't care if we get the NHL back (although I would like it) just as long as we can have a team of our own and not a Rangers-owned team.

Looks like more people in that article were against it then for it.... Anyways losing The WolfPack is not a big loss by any means.

i listened to 1080 on the way home, just in time to hear joe d and colon ripping the decision, in their smirky manner. oh well, what can you expect from a suburb radio station. after paying attention for these many years, i believe that very few media people have, or at least express, their own ideas. they shouldn't speak until someone tells them what to say and it doesen't matter whether it is nyc or hartford. two big plusses here (i think). state shouldn't lose any more money and change is good!! there will be more plusses coming. bye wolfpuke (please don't argue that losing them is not good). losing them is good!!!

I think it's a good move, and, at least, a bold one, and you always have to give a public or quasi-public authority some credit when it does something bold. Of course, of the bold options, it's the conservative one, giving Larry risk and reward. I think that was the best route to take, definitely. I have to say, however, Northland's stake in downtown is so huge, it makes me a little nervous. On the one hand, the stakes are huge and Larry has every reason to make the Civic Center work; he's got such a huge investment in the city, he can't afford to mess up. That said, if he does mess up, his whole boat sinks, and we're all pretty much in that boat at this point!

No pain, no gain--I think it was a good move, but I've definitely got my fingers crossed that Larry will make it happen.

Northlands partner in running the HCC. They have produced many events http://www.aegworldwide.com/02_sports/events.html They operate venues all over the word, and they are definitely big time.

One thought, since they own the Reading Royals as a farm team to the LA Kings (which they also own). Maybe the Rangers should send the Pack to reading and Hartford should get the Royals. In the short term that might might more sense than lkepng the pack.

That certainly could be one possibility. One thing is for certain, and that is that AEG will not own an AHL franchise in Hartford, not unless they are willing to sell the Manchester Monarchs. Given that the Monarchs are one of the most successful franchises in the AHL, that is not likely. The AHL has a rule prohibiting dual ownership. On the other hand, the ECHL has no such rule, so they could own both the Reading Royals and a new ECHL franchise. I'm not sure how this market would embrace a AA hockey team, though.

Another interesting note is that if a new Arena were built in Hartford, AEG could end up bidding for a franchise against itself, because it has the contract to operate the new arena in Kansas City that is trying to lure an NHL team.

I'm sure that can be sorted out, as this is definitely a step in the right direction.

That certainly could be one possibility. One thing is for certain, and that is that AEG will not own an AHL franchise in Hartford, not unless they are willing to sell the Manchester Monarchs. Given that the Monarchs are one of the most successful franchises in the AHL, that is not likely. The AHL has a rule prohibiting dual ownership. On the other hand, the ECHL has no such rule, so they could own both the Reading Royals and a new ECHL franchise. I'm not sure how this market would embrace a AA hockey team, though.

Another interesting note is that if a new Arena were built in Hartford, AEG could end up bidding for a franchise against itself, because it has the contract to operate the new arena in Kansas City that is trying to lure an NHL team.

I'm sure that can be sorted out, as this is definitely a step in the right direction.

I don't believe the plan was for AEG to own the team, the plan was for Larry G to own the team. AEG is supposed to run the arena, which is different. Also, what better way to stack the deck than to run 2 arenas that are vying for an NHL team....

I don't believe the plan was for AEG to own the team, the plan was for Larry G to own the team. AEG is supposed to run the arena, which is different. Also, what better way to stack the deck than to run 2 arenas that are vying for an NHL team....

I'm hoping this turns out well for us. Do you think it would be AEG's decision upon acquiring a team what market they want to put it in? Or would AEG potentially be bidding against Larry G for a team?

I believe they already own the Kings (as I look back, robm324 already confirmed this), so they are just running the buildings. They may have influence, already being owners of a team. This could be a boon for us, since they have a working partnership with Larry G, Phil Anschutz (the main partner, owner of the Kings and Lakers) could use his influence as an owner to sway some favorable votes out way to get Larry in the door. Tycoon might have a bit of a point though because Anschutz is from Kansas and may want a team there before Hartford. It's really a win-win situation for him though, maybe he could leverage an NHL team for Hartford and an NBA team for Kansas City....

It's really a win-win situation for him though, maybe he could leverage an NHL team for Hartford and an NBA team for Kansas City....

I was thinking the same thing. I think the NBA would work either place, but Hartford is by far better suited for the NHL than is KC.

i listened to 1080 on the way home, just in time to hear joe d and colon ripping the decision, in their smirky manner. oh well, what can you expect from a suburb radio station. after paying attention for these many years, i believe that very few media people have, or at least express, their own ideas. they shouldn't speak until someone tells them what to say and it doesen't matter whether it is nyc or hartford. two big plusses here (i think). state shouldn't lose any more money and change is good!! there will be more plusses coming. bye wolfpuke (please don't argue that losing them is not good). losing them is good!!!

I listened Joe d before and said he supported a new arena. the civic center lacked luxury suites (duh). He didn't agree with larry's plan to build a 16,000 seat arena. He thought it would be too small and 18,000 to 20,000 would be good.

Joe d don't really care for and for Collin well he's just an idiot as far as I am concerned...... This decsion by the CDA doesn't necessarily mean that the WolfPack will move out of Hartford. From what I read in the Courant today it looks like AHL would love to keep mimor league in Hartford. I''m thinking if the WolfPack does leave the AHL will grant a replacement team for Hartford.

I was thinking the same thing. I think the NBA would work either place, but Hartford is by far better suited for the NHL than is KC.

I think the NHL should come first too, but if we can get an NHL and NBA franchise together in Hartford that would be the ultimate.

Archived