Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

Hartford averaged over 14,000 its last year in the NHL and that's with Karmanos refusing to add luxury box attendance to the official attendance numbers.

And this is a team that won exactly ONE playoff series in its entire run in the city. A slightly better on ice performance would have made the Whale a very strong franchise in terms of fan support.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to re-hash the million things I could, and have, said about this subject, but I will say this: I'm a big Eddie Perez basher, but he's right on point with this. For all the incredible damage he's done to Hartford over the last few years, he may possibly be the best chance we have of getting a team back. Good for the Mayor for taking the incredible initiative to try and get some wheels turning in this aspect. One cookie to Eddie Perez.

I'm not going to re-hash the million things I could, and have, said about this subject, but I will say this: I'm a big Eddie Perez basher, but he's right on point with this. For all the incredible damage he's done to Hartford over the last few years, he may possibly be the best chance we have of getting a team back. Good for the Mayor for taking the incredible initiative to try and get some wheels turning in this aspect. One cookie to Eddie Perez.

Well said, I agree.

• 2 months later...

Another dig at Hartford by that little pipsqueak?

Bettman says Coyotes staying put

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says the financially struggling Phoenix Coyotes are actively seeking investors or possibly new ownership, but reiterated that the team won't be relocated. "Our goal is to bring in new capital and make this franchise solvent," Bettman said Thursday night while attending the Coyotes game against the Edmonton Oilers. "That's our direction, and at this point moving the franchise elsewhere is not on the table." The Coyotes have reportedly lost $200 million since current owner Jerry Moyes brought the team in 2001, and are projected to lose another $30 million this season. Bettman said the Coyotes are actively engaging with potential investors, whom he would not identify. The Coyotes will miss the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season and have had only two sellouts in 37 home games. In a recent survey, Glendale residents rejected the notion of taxpayer money to help provide financial assistance to the team. "We're looking for an infusion of capital and thinking about nothing else," Bettman said. "We're talking to a number of people, but there's no sense of urgency."

Yeah, Bettman is fooling no one. Who can absorb those kind of losses these days? Who would want to for a hockey team in Arizona? He is crazy! The problem is that the team has a long lease...a condition for getting a new building. So the only way out of that is to file for bankruptcy, which may ultimately end up happening.

We can't start dreaming until we get a new building.

Yeah, Bettman is fooling no one. Who can absorb those kind of losses these days? Who would want to for a hockey team in Arizona? He is crazy! The problem is that the team has a long lease...a condition for getting a new building. So the only way out of that is to file for bankruptcy, which may ultimately end up happening.

The other problem is that bankrupcy whould even still complicate issues and may not at all guarantee that the team could break lease or move.

well i think it could break lease, but moving would still be in doubt.

The Whalers had a lease too. It's a non issue, a few bucks slid to the leaser, and done, you're gone. I think they are indeed going to KC. Hartford needs to get off their asses and get a new Arena already, all these teams are coming loose, and we have nowhere viable for them to play....

The Whalers had a lease too. It's a non issue, a few bucks slid to the leaser, and done, you're gone. I think they are indeed going to KC. Hartford needs to get off their asses and get a new Arena already, all these teams are coming loose, and we have nowhere viable for them to play....

With the economy the way it is, coupled with State budget problems, the likelihood of an arena is not looking very good. Of course if private investors where to come in, then we might have a chance?

A new arena is still a necessary investment for our city, state, and region. Eventually, it will be funded at the state level. I wish we had a more visionary governor. It's times like this when I miss Rowland. I'll tell you what though, with Calhoun getting closer and closer to retirement we need to think long and hard about what it's going to take to keep our program at its current level. UConn is a huge asset and we need to leverage it fully.

The arena is such a tricky issue. I think in every city they cause huge fights, and Hartford is worse than most cities in that regard.

I think the first step the region needs to take is to create, and by create I mean incorporate TODAY a Metro Hartford Sports Authority.

If it has to be a Hartford-Springfield Sports Authority, FINE!

pattern it after the one in Houston

http://www.hchsa.org/

Use this corporation to unite all the towns that feed off of Hartford as a single bonding agency for sports venues.

The facilities that could come under such an agency would be Rentschler, The New Arena, Minor league baseball, Springfield arena, convention center, The Meadows etc.

A new arena is still a necessary investment for our city, state, and region. Eventually, it will be funded at the state level. I wish we had a more visionary governor. It's times like this when I miss Rowland. I'll tell you what though, with Calhoun getting closer and closer to retirement we need to think long and hard about what it's going to take to keep our program at its current level. UConn is a huge asset and we need to leverage it fully.

That's a great idea and one that seems to really be working for Houston. But Hartford obviously is NOT Houston, so we would be dealing on a much smaller scale. There is no NFL, NBA or MLB team for Hartford. And unfortunately, as of now, no NHL either. But there are minor league and college teams (dont know how they could fit in) such as the NB Rock Cats, Wolf Pack, Husky football. But if something like this, done on a smaller, more localized and community oriented scale might work. There are hockey rinks (Veterans Memorial in WHartford), soccer/baseball fields (Tunxis Mead in Farmington), football and baseball (Beehive field in NewBritain) that could all possibly be incorporated into a grouping like this.

I LOVE the Whalers and will NEVER lose hope that they will one day return. I was in Toronto for business last month, and had a chance to attend the Hockey Hall of Fame. I tried to find Whalers gear, but there was NOTHING!!! I talked to two young employees and they tried to convince me that the ex-owner (Karmanos I assume they meant) still owns the rights and won't allow merchandise to be sold. But on the NHL.com website, there are a couple items that are for sale there. I thought the city of Hartford owned the rights to the Whaler name and logos. Is this not correct? If so, then the city needs to wake up and find a way to 1. make money off the Whalers name and 2. help bring the Whalers back into the eye of the NHL and its fans.

Great Topic!!!!

The State owns the rights to the Hartford Whalers. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it's sounding like you are suggesting building a new, SMALLER arena. If that's the case, I'm not seeing the point.

Actually i was referring to the Voice of Reasons comments about a Metro Hartford Sports Authority. Somehow, I quoted the wrong posting. And no I dont think a SMALLER arena would be worth anything at all. We need one that could support a major league hockey (or basketball) team. There is no reason to replace the HCC with an arena that would only be viable for a minor league team.

Here is Voice of Reasons post:

I think the first step the region needs to take is to create, and by create I mean incorporate TODAY a Metro Hartford Sports Authority.

If it has to be a Hartford-Springfield Sports Authority, FINE!

pattern it after the one in Houston

http://www.hchsa.org/t.gif

Use this corporation to unite all the towns that feed off of Hartford as a single bonding agency for sports venues.

The facilities that could come under such an agency would be Rentschler, The New Arena, Minor league baseball, Springfield arena, convention center, The Meadows etc.

Unfortunately, the next US city to get an NHL team (either through relocation or expansion) will be Kansas City. They have already built the needed arena and their minor league team does well in attendance. And in Canada, Winnepeg is the city that is expected to get an NHL team back. As for Hartford, we need to find a way to increase the attendance at Wolf Pack games as well as build a new arena (or at least have a plan with investors). If the city cant prove through attendance, that they deserve an NHL team then there wont be one. Unfortunately I dont see the attendance rising as long as the minor league team of the NY Rangers is in town. I think the Hartford Whalers (even if it is an AHL team for now) need to be the team that is in town. Just a name change and the cancellation of any affiliation with a Whaler rival, in mind, would drive the attendance up. And then all we need is a new arena. Not a big deal, right?

I would love to get the Northstars, but I have a hard time beliving that a city the size of Dallas wont find a new investor or something like that.

I'm sure Mark Cuban would buy them if he had too... The guy seems to have bottomless pockets.

I would love to get the Northstars, but I have a hard time beliving that a city the size of Dallas wont find a new investor or something like that.

Concurred....... Ultimately I think the NHL will keep the Dallas Stars in place. Phoenix maybe a different story.

Unfortunately, the next US city to get an NHL team (either through relocation or expansion) will be Kansas City. They have already built the needed arena and their minor league team does well in attendance.

What Minor league team is in KC? I was not aware they had one. They don't have an AHL team. I think KC is in the lead only because they have an arena already in place. However, Hartford/CT: 1) is a larger media market, 2) has higher per capita income and 3) more corporations, including Fortune 500 corps to support an NHL team.

All we need is an arena!

Unfortunately, the next US city to get an NHL team (either through relocation or expansion) will be Kansas City. They have already built the needed arena and their minor league team does well in attendance.

What Minor league team is in KC? I was not aware they had one. They don't have an AHL team. I think KC is in the lead only because they have an arena already in place. However, Hartford/CT: 1) is a larger media market, 2) has higher per capita income and 3) more corporations, including Fortune 500 corps to support an NHL team.

All we need is an arena!

I apologize. I was incorrect. For some reason I was sure that KC still had a minor league team. But it turns out they have been defunct since 2005. As far as media markets, Hartford definitely beats out KC and many other cities. But when it comes to getting the corporations in this area to show support for an NHL team, do you think they will open their pockets? It doesnt seem like any are interested in having anything to do with a new arena. I wonder how much they would pony up for the suites. Believe me, I am waiting as patiently as I can, for the Whalers to return. I think we need to worry about Perez and Rell, pulling their weight and stepping up to the plate. The past few years have introduced some great developments in Hartford and a new arena would be a perfect addition to Hartford's growth.

Again, sorry for misspeaking about KC.

I feel the need to share a story about Houston and their fight to get a new basketball arena for the Rockets.

I used to follow the Rockets quite closely because my old classmate Cuttino Mobley used to play for the team. I was involved in the clutchcity fan forums etc.

In Houston, the city which is obviously a larger matro area, and also a larger annexed city proper obviously has a better ability to finance a stadium or an arena. The problem facing Houston back then was that the city had recently ponied up the bonding for Reliance Stadium and Minute Maid Park.

There was a time when the threat of the Rockets leaving Houston was real, and the Arena failed in votes I think a couple times, but the guy that ran the fan site. Or maybe it was just a guy involved in running the site led a city wide campaign to get the arena bonding issue passed.

It was a few years ago now, but a distinctly recall the guy being all over the news, and basicly doing anything it took to get the Arena built. he was even at the eventual ground breaking and was treated like a hero to some extent for his efforts.

part of what made things work was that the guy was a web engineer or something like that and he build some seriously nice web sites to promote signatures and organize the whole voting issue. also the team owner was supportive of his "grass roots" effort.

Here in Hartford we do not have an identified owner. I don't care what you say about Larry G he has nothing in hand, so there is no one person to go to for support.

Also the Hartford Whalers booster club has a pretty weak website and only marginal organization. they are great, do not get me wrong, but they leave a lot to be desired in terms of looking like a serious organization.

so whats my point?

I dont know, but I do know that the fans can get arenas built. Houston had no right building a new arena when they did, but the fans and the team got it passed because in large part a single organized dude with a web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived