Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm.

ok well I still hate that they are named after a kids movie.

don't get me wrong I even liked the movies. I was on the high end of their target audience and I was allready a huge hockey fan. but I was still miffed when they created the team with the silly name. I also see the 2nd LA team as part of the rape of Hockey.

My 2nd favorite team was shipped off to Dallas, and that really bothered me. Now, I dont mind dallas having a team really at this point. its a frekin huge city and like Houston or even Phoenix could support Hockey if managed correctly. But taking a team from mimmeapolis was just rund. you can not get more perfect for hockey and a place like minnesota! the word makes you cold thinking about it. more than that, its a damn large city, and has been growing like a weed despite being so damn cold. this is a city that needs hockey. now the problem is those people had their hearts broken just like Hartford did, and the replacement team will never be the North Stars.

But everything that was done to the league 15 years ago or so just killed me. I still have not gotten back to watching the league. Mind you I keep my eye on it, and I try and watch the playoffs because its the best thing in professional sports (soccer world cup is not pro).

I want the league to move to colder towns.

and I am sure the ducks have loyal fans, so who am i to deny them the sport.

ehh whatever I am just a bitter oldschool hockey fan.

hmmm.

ok well I still hate that they are named after a kids movie.

don't get me wrong I even liked the movies. I was on the high end of their target audience and I was allready a huge hockey fan. but I was still miffed when they created the team with the silly name. I also see the 2nd LA team as part of the rape of Hockey.

My 2nd favorite team was shipped off to Dallas, and that really bothered me. Now, I dont mind dallas having a team really at this point. its a frekin huge city and like Houston or even Phoenix could support Hockey if managed correctly. But taking a team from mimmeapolis was just rund. you can not get more perfect for hockey and a place like minnesota! the word makes you cold thinking about it. more than that, its a damn large city, and has been growing like a weed despite being so damn cold. this is a city that needs hockey. now the problem is those people had their hearts broken just like Hartford did, and the replacement team will never be the North Stars.

But everything that was done to the league 15 years ago or so just killed me. I still have not gotten back to watching the league. Mind you I keep my eye on it, and I try and watch the playoffs because its the best thing in professional sports (soccer world cup is not pro).

I want the league to move to colder towns.

and I am sure the ducks have loyal fans, so who am i to deny them the sport.

ehh whatever I am just a bitter oldschool hockey fan.

You are absolutely preaching to the choir...

• 2 weeks later...

I read about it. it is done as far as I understand it.

it has been screened at several film festivals.

I saw a clip somewhere that was amusing.

This is the first i've heard of this, but I'm excited. It seems there are two versions...the 25 minute version is done and is being shown at film festivals. The feature length is currently in production. This is GREAT STUFF! Hopefully he'll release the film on his website or even the Booster Clubs site.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone already posted this, but a film student is making a feature length movie about the Whalers:

http://www.bleedinggreenmovie.com

Doesn't say when it will be done but I would like to see it....

if the nhl did something radical, such as create a league that mirrors european soccer leagues, then the owners and places that want hockey teams will have hockey. imo, as long as the nhl wants to mirror the nba business, we will not have an nhl team here until all markets have been established to the point where all existing teams are within 100 hundred miles of each other and can no longer be protected against expansion. i think then that expansion would be redefined so nyc and boston would not have to be "protected" against a franchise in hartford. albany will have a team before hartford. montpelier will have a team before hartford. fairbanks will have a team before hartford. boise will have a team before hartford. i'm talking 23rd century. what else can you expect from a league that is dominated by television and cable interests; much like the nba. isn't it mindboggling that a team in a top 10 population center can lose 150 million in 3 years? but will anyone be surprised when they remain in phoenix?

• 3 months later...

So are the Coyotes staying put?

What I've gathered is that the Coyotes will remain in Phoenix through this season. But where they go after the season depends on who ends up winning the bid for the team. I also have not heard anything about a bidder for Hartford, so I dont think it is an option. I am surprised to see that Winnepeg is not bidding to get their team back. Too bad for Gretzky, but Tippett is just as good behind the bench.

The bids for the Coyotes were all rejected. But the NHL is likely the closest to getting it in a second try.

Expect more hockey nobody cares about in a place which never should have hockey.

This whole situation here is baffling to me. Admittedly, I'm not a hockey diehard, but I can clearly see NHL not wanting Balsillie to be an owner. Perhaps they don't want a renegade owner like Mark Cuban running a team. However, I think it's pretty apparent that Phoenix won't work. I think some of it has do with the arena location (I've been to PHX before and it's out in BFE for a majority of the population), but more its that people don't care about hockey enough there. I've heard Kansas City, Houston or even Seattle as the most likely US cities. But the team is better off in Canada (I like Winnipeg, Hamilton or even Quebec City)... I think if someone came along with a different approach than Balsillie the team could go there.

It is definately an attitude issue.

the commish is a bit of an idiot, and Balsillie is a bit too aggressive.

now, both have egos, pride, and power, so they ended up facing off in a hostile way when in reality they both need each other. sadly both thing they dont need each other at all, and are happy to burn bridges.

Hartford needs a Russian billionaire to buy a team

Archived